Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Horses Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Horses Forum

Reptilekid09   Fairy Frog Mother   CrestieLuvR   CelticTigeress   Reptilekid09   JENOVA   CelticTigeress  
 Member  Message

Reptilekid09
View Profile

Clydesdale

Hey well I have been interested in clydesdale horses lately and Im not thinking of getting one any time soon but I want to know A little bit about their attitudes and how much a nice one would cost??? How is their behavior??? And if any ones has any please post pictures....Thanks :]

09/19/09  07:22pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Reptilekid09   In reference to Message Id: 2073866

Clydesdale

The few Clydesdales and Shires Ive met have been the most mellow loving horses Ive ever known. Super gentle, great with kids. Calm in a crowd of cheering crowds and clanging ren-faire armor...

Im sure it depends on their upbringing and age, as with any animal, equine or otherwise.

09/20/09  04:11am

CrestieLuvR
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2074016

Clydesdale

What I do know is that they are drafts (duh). so generally calm, mostly used for pulling things. but now they are beginning to breed them more for riding. most draft horses are generally sound, which is why they are now being used for riding.

09/20/09  10:47pm

CelticTigeress
View Profile

Message To: CrestieLuvR   In reference to Message Id: 2074348

Clydesdale

Since I have a draft and I have had drafts for YEARS.... i will tell you a little about my experiances

they are mellow yes, Most of them, even my draft colt now (at 18.3hh still growing) is a big baby but the thing is they will hurt you without meaning to..they are BIG. The personalities vary from horse to horse like any other breed, but typically they are slow and lazy, this is a pro, but they are a LOT of responsibility/.....they eat 3times as much, they are QUICK to lose weight and colic at any change of grain, you need to assure you have a VERY good feed, I give mine strategy no sweet....

They cost extra for trimming, thats IF you find a Ferrier that will touch a draft (Many wont because of the risk factor and what it all takes...I trim my horses trust me I know!) wormer is twice as much.... you also have difficulty finding suitable "pretty" saddles that can fit them right same with headstalls and reins.... dont get me wrong they are great, my husband is VERY inexperianced but rides out draft because it is too much effort for him to buck or bolt if he spooks.... dont use a snaffle with one....

Essentially they are big, I wouldnt trade having mine for anything in the world, I have had percherons clydesdales, crosses a shire or two and Baron is a Belgian.... what you have to realize is your CONSTANTLY having to prove your the boss, where as a typical size horse it is back and forth you can NOT let that draft realize his size or full potential..baron is different because the people that had him didnt train him right but with repitition he has become a GREAT horse... just keep in mind they are far more costly and expensive then another breed

09/21/09  03:02am

Reptilekid09
View Profile

Message To: CelticTigeress   In reference to Message Id: 2074405

Clydesdale

OK thanx everyone. Well yea the feed and care and stuff i know its going to be expensive but ive been told they are mean and stuff but obviously thats not rue. With any animal it depends on how it wass brought up and raised for their attitude. I was just interested in how they really were.

Yeah they are big and i know that they can hurt me without intentionally wanting to but ive worked with many big reptiles be that are kinda ike that. I know a horse could probably hurt me faste but Iam expirenced with animals and caution.

Can you guys tell me about how much the food costs per month??? I know they eat alot i just want some examples.

09/23/09  02:25pm

JENOVA
View Profile

Message To: CelticTigeress   In reference to Message Id: 2074405

Clydesdale

l don’t want to hijack the thread or anything, but CT I noticed you said not to use a snaffle bit? Why is that? (I haven’t been around draft horses much so I"m just curious)

09/24/09  02:09am

CelticTigeress
View Profile

Message To: JENOVA   In reference to Message Id: 2075793

Clydesdale

jenova its because they know they are big..they can quite easily "run through the bit" as it were and from personal experiance when you have one run through its quite painful. as for feed you will need joint supplements if you plan to ride.. I use applecider vinegar in his food it helps with joints and flies... feed depends on location on price.... my boy is 2pounds twice daily...no hay as he is out on pasture but if u do hay expect a bale a day roughly (this is going from my feed regimen) horses arw different rhen large reptiles.... believe me.... drafts are very costly but can ne dangerous not because they are mean but because they are big.... my advice find a stable that jas drafts a nd volunteer before you do get one.. you need to know what your getting into before you do....just because you may have had other horses doesn’t mean you can handle a draft its like saying "ive had a gecko beforr now I want a caiman" you need to have a few steps before that... I use my boy to plow and pull but I ride him as well...

09/24/09  04:33am

Back to Horses Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area