Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Horses Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Horses Forum

Ammeratsu   CrestieLuvR   CelticTigeress   Ammeratsu   CelticTigeress   Ammeratsu   CelticTigeress  
 Member  Message

Ammeratsu
View Profile

Is It Possible?

So I have a bit of a dilemma. I have this 3 year old filly, a chestnut section B welsh pony. We we’re in the middle of training her, and we’re getting a little concerned with her height.

You see, I’m the only one under 18 in my house. I’ll be 15 in a month. If she doesn’t get taller then 13.2, she won’t be able to be showed.

So I’m just wondering if maybe there’s a way to get her to grow a little more/faster or a way to make her measure taller? I really want to show her, but can’t unless she’s over 13.2. Are there any shoes or anything we can use to make her taller?

How long do ponies grow for? She’s only 3, and 12.2 hands now. Do you think she’ll make it 4-5 more inches?

08/19/09  02:24pm

CrestieLuvR
View Profile

Message To: Ammeratsu   In reference to Message Id: 2060342

Is It Possible?

From what I understand, ponies stop growing later in life if you provide good nutrition, so buying the correct vitamin and mineral supplements in the correct doses should help. They generally stop growing at ages 4 or 5, so you still have some time. Hope that helps! :D

08/19/09  02:50pm

CelticTigeress
View Profile

Message To: CrestieLuvR   In reference to Message Id: 2060362

Is It Possible?

You cannot make a horse grow taller just like you cannot make a Person grow taller. Height is genetic. It is based on the genetic line of the horse in question, if the entire tree of her family are not ’that tall’ mind you shes a welsh then there is nothing you can do further. Most ponies or horses mature at 3 years old unless your talking about certain breeds, Draft horses, Arabians and TBs are a few to be classified as ’slow growers’ Again because of genetics. you MAY from what I understand through the years get another Inch out of her, but at three-three and a half her growing has pretty much stopped. Then Again I could be wrong....It is rare but it happens. Ponies are compact animals it is not in their genetics to be ’slow growers’ as it is for the larger breeds.... it is also not in their genetics to quickly grow. I do not care what nutrition you give a horse or how many supplements you cannot force them to grow quicker...their growth rate and height again are determined by genetics....Does good nutrition help? it helps to cease the stunting of growth but not the growth process itsself.....But I honestly doubt she will reach that required height that your thinking.... this is why I reccomend for older riders to start on a horse not a pony so that way you are not outgrowing the horse.

All I can reccomend is monitor feed intake and get a measuring tape and monitor her height. Shes at three and a half.....

I won’t say that horses dont spurt, my 3y/o draft colt has just hit a growth spurt and is now 18.3hh (God help me if he gets any bigger) it was one of those days I woke up went to feed and looked UP (Will have to post a photo of him next to my Husbands grandmother his head is the size of her!!!!

since she is young you can tray mare plus or mare and foal as a supplement, and I reccomend Source I LOVE the supplement! good luck

08/20/09  03:51pm

Ammeratsu
View Profile

Message To: CelticTigeress   In reference to Message Id: 2060973

Is It Possible?

Awh. =/ I really hope she does reach the height, but if she doesn’t, that’s okay, too.

I did start on a horse. She’s a 16.1 hand rose grey appendix named Esperanza. I just really want to show Ember(the welsh), too. But if not, it’s okay. We can let a kid do it that really wants to and she ccan be a pleasure ride. That’s fine.

We supplement her hay with Equine Junior. But I dunno.

08/20/09  05:53pm

CelticTigeress
View Profile

Message To: Ammeratsu   In reference to Message Id: 2061036

Is It Possible?

equine junior is a good feed. it is meant for growing horses. but extra vitamins and minerals are good to. it is good to know you still love her and I hope she reaches the height too... I’m just trying to be realistic on the concept that she may not. but as you said you could always allow a young girl to lease and show it would be good for both horse and child

08/20/09  07:30pm

Ammeratsu
View Profile

Message To: CelticTigeress   In reference to Message Id: 2061071

Is It Possible?

Okay, it’s good we’re feeding her the right stuff. We’ve never had such a young horse/pony.

Will a salt lick cover the minerals and vitamins? Or do we need something else. She has constant access to a salt lick(the one with the minerals in it), and I see her using it.

And yeah. If she doesn’t make it, we’re going to allow a kid that deserves it to lease her and we’ll even give him/her lessons.

08/20/09  07:53pm

CelticTigeress
View Profile

Message To: Ammeratsu   In reference to Message Id: 2061085

Is It Possible?

trace imho is great for keeping away defeciencies caused by a lack of iron and other traces that in nature a wild horse would pick up while grazing. what they do however is cause a horse in the summer to stay thirsty thus hydrating... I think if you plan to show a few additions would do wonders for the development. I reccomend source and grow colt. or mare plus. apple cider vinegar is great for the joints as well. but e.j is fantastic for young horses. and if tou want a nice mane and tail sunflower hearts work wonders. they put a nice thick mane and tail on my appaloosa. but don’t take the trace block.... they do have purposes I keep one for my horses and a sulphur and trace for my goats

08/20/09  08:06pm

Back to Horses Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area