Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Horses Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Horses Forum

LilKitty   CelticTigeress   LilKitty   CelticTigeress  
 Member  Message

LilKitty
View Profile

Update on carmen

Carmen’s pasture fungus is completely gone!!!! but it it isn’t one thing it is another. we had our farrier come out and shoe her and after that she started limping. so we called him and he came out and pulled the shoe off and put some iodine on it. but we noticed she has a pretty big crack in her hoof. we have been putting iodine on it everyday. but she is still limping. just not as bad. it has been about 2 weeks since he came back and took the shoe off. do you guys think it might be the crack causing her to limp. and do you guys know of any remedies or medicines we can give her/ put on it to make it where she wont be hurting??

08/17/09  05:24pm

CelticTigeress
View Profile

Message To: LilKitty   In reference to Message Id: 2058992

Update on carmen

you have to think, a hoof is essentially a long nail that covers 3 toes (Yes xrays prove evolution) at any rate like nails it has a quick, if the crack IS severe enough and deep enough there is a GOOD chance that the quick was affected, it is like you biting your nails too short... essentially its painful..you may also want to assure when the ferrier did her shoes he didn’t shod her too deep or affect the frog, the frog is tender as well its the one place there is actually blood flow to that is truely exposed and tender. There is little you can do for deep cracks, except have the ferrier notch above the crack... why? that way you can see if the crack is progressing or growing out, if the crack slowly starts to extend above the notch then it means there is a serious issue...if it starts to grow out then your fine, try using a hoof liniment with pine tar it will help seal from infection and give more pliancy to the hoof so that it doesn’t dry out and the crack doesn’t worsen

as it stands there is two thin=gs that will heal..Mother and Father..Mother Nature and Father time

08/17/09  10:32pm

LilKitty
View Profile

Message To: CelticTigeress   In reference to Message Id: 2059238

Update on carmen

well the crack is pretty bad it is from the bottom of her hoof to almost the top. and by a notch do you mean just like a little chip in it so i can tell when it is moving down?? it is alot skinnier than it was before so i know it is healing. and we have been putting a mixture of hoof conditioner and burnt motor oil on it as well. i was told that would help it a little bit.

08/18/09  06:18pm

CelticTigeress
View Profile

Message To: LilKitty   In reference to Message Id: 2059768

Update on carmen

When I trim my horses hooves, If I notice a crack that could potentially become problematic, I use the edge of the rasp and I notch by a few rasp strokes JUST above the crack. What this does is help me to monitor if the crack is severe or not. I also use hoof flex as a coating over the top to keep the hoof pliant and help seal the crack, right now your next biggest concern is moisture being held in it, so help it to seal up, and until your certain of severity I would suggest keeping her out of a damp pasture in a dry stall where you have clear monitoring and can control the environment.

08/18/09  09:25pm

Back to Horses Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area