Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Horses Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Horses Forum

JENOVA   CelticTigeress   JENOVA   CelticTigeress   JENOVA   Buddy&Konas   CelticTigeress   JENOVA   CelticTigeress   JENOVA   CelticTigeress   Fairy Frog Mother   JENOVA  
 Member  Message

JENOVA
View Profile

Rain Rot (suggestions please!)

Okeedokee, so I noticed the other day while I was grooming Mirage that he has the tell-tale signs of rain rot on his front legs (from the knee down to the pastern). I started giving him Malaseb baths 1-2 times per week (I’m doing my best to work around my jobs) and trying to get all the crust/scabs off his legs (a process that has so far been slow and I’m sure painful for him).

What stuff do you guys use to get rid of rain rot? Is there a way to get rid of it for good?

Mirage got it last year too so by my guess he is just more susceptible to it.

Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated

~JENOVA~

08/07/09  11:44pm

CelticTigeress
View Profile

Message To: JENOVA   In reference to Message Id: 2052917

Horses dont remain "More suceptable" then others UNLESS the horse is severely malnoursiehd then they are prone to worse cases because their body cant fight off the bacterial infection.... but as for yearly nuh uh, RainRot is ACTUALLY a skin condition caused by a bacteria.... what occurs is the Horse recieves a small wound say a scratch/cut/nick the bacteria caused by wet conditions is now able to penetrate the flesh the bateria grows causing the rainrot. the ONLY way to really get rid of it is to dry it out, I use Iodine, it dries the area out, apply it wait 2-3 days spray more this dries the skin out thusly killing the bacteria that causes rain scald or ’rain rot’ as others call it. and No there isnt a way to permanately get rid of it just make sure to treat any scratches or injuries with iodine before it can occur, I actually once a week use "Aloedine" shampoo to wash my guys..... and it has done a good job, occasionally i get a rescue that has severe rain scald, and it takes a little more time.... good luck

the key is to drying out the area once the bacteria is under the skin via open wound

08/08/09  01:42pm

JENOVA
View Profile

Message To: CelticTigeress   In reference to Message Id: 2053117

Quote:

Horses dont remain "More susceptible" then others UNLESS the horse is severely malnoursiehd then they are prone to worse cases because their body cant fight off the bacterial infection....

I tried googling it and it said some horses are more prone to get it while others resist it better. Then again almost every page I went to had a different opinion on the causes, treatments, and over all details about rain rot. So I figured I would ask on here and maybe get a straight answer.

What they did agree on however what that the bacteria was anaerobic and the best thing to do was to get the scabs off (exposing it to oxygen) and drying it out. Which is what I’ve been working on.

Thanks for the input, I will try the iodine to get rid of it. :)

08/08/09  11:58pm

CelticTigeress
View Profile

Message To: JENOVA   In reference to Message Id: 2053414

I disagree with those that say some horses are more suceptible than others. Rain rot can affect all horses. the sicker the horse, the more severe the cases. the more malnourished the horse the worse case. I will need to pull up a photo of a rescue we took in with severe rain scald... He had a worse case due to malnourishment I had an abused mare with just a small spot... it healed quickly but it took longer for Lakhota’s to heal. Saying one horse is more prone to Rain Scald is like saying some people are more prone to pink eye. both are infections that occur in a controlled environment under the right conditions, and both can be contagious. ie if the cut is open and the bacteria gets into it, its a warm haven that allows the bacteria to grow, think of the horse as a loaf of bread, a tiny drop of water penetrats the bag sitting in the heat, and BAM you have mold. conditions affect everything, Bread is a prime example one type of bread is not more suceptible then another... if this makes sense, oxygen helps dry gently SCRUB the scabs away with a alodine shampoo then as the horse dries coat the rainrot in iodine and just apply, it will get in the cut and dry out the conditions. Heres a photo of Lakhota. his case was severe due to malnourish, HEALTHY horses that get it will often have a tiny spot and no spreading.

08/09/09  05:42pm

JENOVA
View Profile

Message To: CelticTigeress   In reference to Message Id: 2053806

Ah I see. Mirage’s is nowhere near that big. He’s got small scabby patches from his knees down to the pasterns on both front legs. He seemed fine with me scrubbing at them today though. Actually that combined with the cool water seemed to make him feel good. I’ve been bathing him with Malaseb shampoo for now until I can get out to farm and fleet (tomorrow) and get some different stuff for it.

08/09/09  11:36pm

Buddy&Konas
View Profile

Message To: JENOVA   In reference to Message Id: 2054017

do you have MTG at your tack stores? they smell terrible but work great on rainrot, its like a liquid cream you out on the rainrot

08/10/09  12:37am

CelticTigeress
View Profile

Message To: Buddy&Konas   In reference to Message Id: 2054043

That was after Lakhota started improving..... He looks awesome now! but I did what your doing I gently scrubed him with an aloedine shampoo that way the moisture did not affect, and then applied Iodine afterwards, which I ALWAYS have, I buy the large gallon and pour in a spray bottle, I applied it at first every day then every other day. it will keep the area dry, its what iodine does AND it kills bacteria, just remember one thing when using Iodine do NOT I repeat DO NOT use peroxide, it causes and acidity that will eat into skin.

just pour the iodine into a spray bottle and spray the areas. I personally always go about an inch above AND below the area...better safe then sorry.... I use mtg for other things but not rain scald, good old iodine and scrubbing an oldie but a goodie

08/10/09  11:53am

JENOVA
View Profile

Message To: CelticTigeress   In reference to Message Id: 2054229

Peroxide wouldn’t do any good anyways. It’s an anaerobic bacteria which means it doesn’t require oxygen. Peroxide only kills aerobic bacteria basically by flooding it with so much oxygen that it dies. I learned it in microbiology. I really wish I remember how the teacher put it. Basically it forces the bacteria to take wayyyy too much oxygen until it kills itself

However since anaerobic bacteria do not need oxygen, the oxygen in the peroxide cannot complete any chains and therefore doesn’t set off any reactions.

(Sorry, I love science! :D)

Anyways, after just 2 baths with malaseb (and me drying off his legs with a towel afterwards) it seems to be going away. I will try your technique if the malaseb doesn’t kill it (you’re not supposed to mix them I hear).

BTW, have you heard of a product calls "Micro Tek"? It supposedly gets rid of rain rot. Seems like a pretty big claim.

08/13/09  12:26am

CelticTigeress
View Profile

Message To: JENOVA   In reference to Message Id: 2055941

I am aware of what peroxide does and what it is.....but at least the others can learn a little something

I put that in as a disclaimer like the signs on a plane "Do not open door" because when I was running the Hunter barn there WAS a girl that was insistant on cleaning the wound WITH peroxide and then spraying with the Iodine.... so its natural habit that I say do not mix the two

glad to hear it is going away though, Rain Scald can be a VERY nasty thing

08/13/09  11:18am

JENOVA
View Profile

Message To: CelticTigeress   In reference to Message Id: 2056089

lol sorry to bore you with stuff you already know. I"m a science nerd (the bearded dragons forum learned that the hard way). I like to use that Microbiology class I took in high school :)

And I don’t blame you for always saying not to mix things like that. It’s better to to tell someone something they already know than to assume they know what they’re doing and have things turn out bad.

08/17/09  12:38am

CelticTigeress
View Profile

Message To: JENOVA   In reference to Message Id: 2058517

There is NOTHING wrong with being a nerd sweets...

take pride in it, I do the same thing when it involves Chemistry or biology. I learned the hardway about caring what people thought your bright for your age, don’t let anyone tell you otherwise... I never took Microbiology because it was not on my list of prerequisites, with my AP classes, my schedule was pretty set except for AP art and JROTC, I took things that would help me through college for Vet school.

Use your knowledge if you don’t use it you will lose it, and be proud to be a nerd! heck I LARP for crying out loud and still play D&D...yeah I am a total geek heh

08/20/09  03:54pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: CelticTigeress   In reference to Message Id: 2060976

HURRAY!!! I dont larp, but I do play an online RP game, and the hubby and I both play D&D with friends still. Haha. Unless Dickens Fair and Ren Faire count as Larping... Haha

I don’t think its "The Meek shall inherit the earth" but " The Geek shall inherit the earth"- Look at Bill Gates. ;oP

And, all those science classes definitely help you puzzle through things. Hope your horse heals up fast and thoroughly.

08/21/09  08:51pm

JENOVA
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2061704

well the malaseb didn’t do much but my aunt told me about the Micro Tek spray. It has worked quite well so far. The rain rot is almost all gone

And I don’t do D&D but 9 times out of 10 you will catch me playing The Legend of Zelda or 007 Golden-eye in my down time lol

08/25/09  10:40pm

Back to Horses Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area