Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Horses Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Horses Forum

CrestieLuvR   Just1more   CelticTigeress   CrestieLuvR  
 Member  Message

CrestieLuvR
View Profile

Skin problems

My horse used to have lots of dandruff all over her body. Every time you groomed her, lots of tiny white flakes would be scraped out of her fur and skin. We gave her 1/4 cup of flax every day and the dandruff nearly went away. Several weeks later, I found a scaly bald patch on the left side of her belly. It seemed to come up nearly overnight. I was able to gently rub away the scales with a few swipes of my finger and all that is left is just a patch of smooth, hairless skin. she has one on her stomach too, in an area behind the girth, and just recently I found another one on the right side of her belly where the other one was located, just on the opposite side of her body.

She is an arab and I know that they have sensitive skin. I did research but nothing seems to fit

Any help?

08/07/09  01:20am

Just1more
View Profile

Message To: CrestieLuvR   In reference to Message Id: 2052454

Skin problems

I’m not sure what she has, but you could try giving her betadine baths. I would also try putting some kind of oil in her feed,such as corn oil or wheat germ oil. That will help to put oil back in the skin.
I hope I helped.

08/07/09  04:18pm

CelticTigeress
View Profile

Message To: Just1more   In reference to Message Id: 2052775

Skin problems

Photos of the skin irritation could help us better justify what she may or may not have. Sunflower hearts in the feed 1/2 a cup twice daily tend to help with main tail and coat problems, one thing I have found for skin disorders due to dry skin or bacterial issues is lemon juice, take and cut 2 lemons boil them 4 minutes then steep them overnight... apply them to the areas in question, this works great for mange too....apply a little each day for a week. My Arab doesnt have skin issues thankfully....but I am always prepared, a shampoo called ALOEDINE works exceptionally well too wash her down once with the aloedine then treat her with steeped lemons

08/08/09  01:48pm

CrestieLuvR
View Profile

Message To: CelticTigeress   In reference to Message Id: 2053119

Skin problems

Thanks guys!

I’ll try all of this

08/10/09  10:10pm

Back to Horses Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area