Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Horses Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Horses Forum

Just1more   CrestieLuvR   Just1more   CelticTigeress   Just1more   Fairy Frog Mother   Just1more  
 Member  Message

Just1more
View Profile

Yearling filly

I have this yearling filly. She is absolutely beautiful. She is out of a registered TB mare and the sire was a registered morgan. Her dam was 16.2 hds. and her sire was 14.2 hds. She is 14 months and is 12.3 hds. My problem is that she has a big belly and no weight across the back. She gets wormed on a regular bases every month which is not the same wormer, so I know it’s not worms (atleast I’m pretty sure it’s not). She eats well. We use Strategy feed and oil with apple cidar vinegar plus vitamins and minerals. She gets carrots everyday and I work her in the round pen twice a week for 15 minutes. (I guess I could up it now). Someone told me to get lice powder and try that. What do you guy’s think? He said to put it across her back and then do it again in 2 weeks and then again once every month. Let me know. Thanks.

08/05/09  08:42am

CrestieLuvR
View Profile

Message To: Just1more   In reference to Message Id: 2051299

Yearling filly

Hmmmm, I suggest putting up a picture so that all those people more experienced than me out there can tell you what’s up. Is it that she has no muscling in her topline? A prominent spine? I’m sure pictures will help.

08/07/09  01:49am

Just1more
View Profile

Message To: CrestieLuvR   In reference to Message Id: 2052463

Yearling filly

I’ll see if I can get some on here of her. It may take a day or two.

08/07/09  03:19pm

CelticTigeress
View Profile

Message To: Just1more   In reference to Message Id: 2052747

Yearling filly

Hard to justify, as I tell others describing the problem photos are helpful for those of us a little more experianced....

When I have seen young horses with fat bellies but nothing on the topline... I often think two things Grass belly or parasites... I know you say you have wormed her, have you tried equimax or zimectrin gold? while some wormers kill most things they dont kill tapeworms..... it might be best to give her a all out wormer just once, give her half a tube one day the next day the other half of a tube.... sometimes you can give too little of the wormer and it only kills off a small portion just a bit of a pointer

secondly yearlings are still growing, strategy is a GREAT feed, but when they are eating too much grass and hay they can get a large belly... try changing the feed for one SPECIFICALLY for younger horses. Equine Junior, with a supplement of grow colt. right now she is growing she needs things for her, make sure she is not filling up on too much hay/grass

also keep in mind that at a young age they go through phases where they are growing acwardly into their bodies, the more you work the muscles the better to help her build correctly but keep in mind she is like that acward teen not quite into her body yet.

again photos would help

08/08/09  02:00pm

Just1more
View Profile

Message To: CelticTigeress   In reference to Message Id: 2053122

Yearling filly

I finally got the pics but I can’t put them up on this link. Sorry. I’m not very computer wise.

08/15/09  01:41pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Just1more   In reference to Message Id: 2057546

Yearling filly

I upload photos onto a site called Photobucket. Its free, and it will take the pictures from a file in your computer and give you a link you can post here.

08/18/09  01:28pm

Just1more
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2059575

Yearling filly

ok. I’ll try it tomorrow, I’m late for work. lol thanks.

08/18/09  03:41pm

Back to Horses Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area