Horses Forum

Trixiefrogz   Trixiefrogz   Buddy&Konas   CrestieLuvR   Trixiefrogz  
 Member  Message

Trixiefrogz
View Profile

Video

kk, so I posted the thing about the trainer a while ago? Here’s a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hcKFR6tQsI&feature=channel_page

Please, I know I’m not the best rider, it’s why I’ve been takng lessons for five years (with a few breaks in between). Friendly critiques are welcome, just no heavy or insulting comments please. Thanks!
~Trix

08/01/09  07:34pm

Trixiefrogz
View Profile

Message To: Trixiefrogz   In reference to Message Id: 2049266

Video

k guys, sorry that didn’t work, I had to re upload it! here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X-AXZkk134

08/06/09  08:08am

Buddy&Konas
View Profile

Message To: Trixiefrogz   In reference to Message Id: 2051868

Video

you have a nice straight seat, your feet need to be pointed in a bit more ( for the road part) and your hands need to be a wee bit higher, also when jumping you dont want to hold the horse back ( see george throwing his head up after jumps) you need a wee bit longer reins and higher hands for jumping. other than that pretty good!

08/07/09  01:21am

CrestieLuvR
View Profile

Message To: Trixiefrogz   In reference to Message Id: 2051868

Video

Okay, so I just checked out the video, it seems great. Your lesson in the arena seemed fine, from what I could tell, I’m no expert, just tellin’ you from my experiences. Was the fluffy-wintery-coaty horse you were jumping with George?

If so, everything about George says arabian from the head to tail carriage.. If I’m wrong, shame on me.

The head held high is fine to some extent.

Sinse we’re on the subject and I’m bored I will tell a short story. It has a point relevant to your original question.

So my trainer owns a half arab half standardbred mare named Chavali. Chav’s a sweetheart, but she seems to do the same thing that Mr. George does, put her head in the air, but much worse. The person who trained her let her do that, and breaking the habit is proving difficult, because poor Chavali’s not the sharpest tack in the box, if you get my drift.

Because of Chavali’s odd head placement, she hollows out her back, and her topline is dwindling. Not only that, but the muscles in her neck are developing all wrong, which is problematic. She is improving, but it has been difficult.

My point, high head carriage usually branches out to badness.....

I’m not sure if your trainer has talked to you about lowering the head and rounding the back (collection), it hasnt been until recently that I have been taught collection, and I’m still not very good at it.

Collection is when you use your seat to get the horse’s energy behind the bit, have him/her lift her back, and drive from the rear. If you’ve ever watched dressage, all those horses have excellent collection, something which is difficult to achieve with some horses (including Chavali). Some horses have natural self-carriage or "uphill movement" which I’m not sure is the case for little George there.

Basically, what I am trying to say is: I suggest practicing more driving from behind in the horses that you ride next time you are havin fun. It helps to promote proper muscling and good habits. Again this is merely a suggestion from a young, semi-experienced working student. Don’t feel pressured to take it.

Good luck, and you look great up there!!! =)))

08/07/09  01:46am

Trixiefrogz
View Profile

Message To: CrestieLuvR   In reference to Message Id: 2052461

Video

Thanks everyone!! I’m really working hard on loosening up on the reins. I always feel so bad after watching my jumping videos because I’m so short with the reins .
yup the fluffy buggar is George ;) I used to keep him on a loose rein like my trainer taught me but after a few bad spills after he took advantage of me. 0.0 after a while I fell into some pretty bad habits that my new trainer is trying to stamp out of me. My seat was tight and I tended to hunch my shoulders over and get pretty severe with my reins (#,_,#) I guess it’s because I wanted to protect myself, it’s what my trainer said. thanks for the tips about the toes and hands, I’ll work on that :)

08/08/09  09:42pm

Back to Horses Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area