Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Horses Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Horses Forum

LilKitty   Montessa_Python   LilKitty   Montessa_Python   LilKitty   Montessa_Python   LilKitty  
 Member  Message

LilKitty
View Profile

Sick horse?

i have 4 horses in my pasture. a cherry bay quarter horse named Carmen a mustang/highland pony cross named baby and 2 Tennessee walkers named maddy and bam. well Carmen has gotten a bad case of Pasture fungus/sweet itch/ summer itch and we have been putting MTG oil on it. and in the last 3 days she has been sweating alot. her neck head chest and shoulders are completely soaked. and none of the other horses have any sweat on them at all. but today she wasn’t really sweaty at all. she was coughing alot a week or so ago. and she has been drinking alot of water lately. does anyone know what might be wrong?? and if you do have any websites where i can read up about it. and do you know anyway to make her better?? thanks for any information we have a vet comming out on sunday but i would like to know any thing even preventions?? when we talked to the vet over the phoen they said she may have become a diabetic or she might have a pituitary probably but he’s not sure.

07/17/09  07:55pm

Montessa_Python
View Profile

Message To: LilKitty   In reference to Message Id: 2041052

Sick horse?

Really at a time like this, I would call a vet.
There are some things that we don’t know so we don’t know what to tell you to help you.
Is the mare overweight? WHat are they fed?
Where do you live? Has the weather been rather hot and humid there?
Have you used MTG for sweet itch before?
She could be having a reaction to it.
There are just so many variables...
PLease at least call a vet.
Sorry I couldn’t be more helpful
Carol

07/17/09  11:18pm

LilKitty
View Profile

Message To: Montessa_Python   In reference to Message Id: 2041132

Sick horse?

we already have the vet is comming out tomarrow at 3
i don’t think she is over weight but we did just let her out in a new pasture and they are bigger since putting them out there they get a half a scoop of sweet feed a day and one haybale a day.
we live in the foothills of north carolina and it’s been hot and humid all summer so i don’t think that would but anything to do with it
we do have used mtg on her before for the same thing but it wasn’t as bad as it is right now

07/18/09  10:46am

Montessa_Python
View Profile

Message To: LilKitty   In reference to Message Id: 2041253

Sick horse?

She could be having a reaction to something in the pasture... And did you mow it before putting them on it??
OR.. did you let them out for just a little while each day? then remove them??
IT seems she is being over fed. Horses rarely need hay and grain while on pasture.
You need be careful not to founder her...
Laminitis is a bad thing in horses, it can cause the lamina to seperate on their hoof walls, and cause rotation of the coffin bone, that is what founder is.. a horse can have laminitis but recover from it. Founder is another ball game. The horse usually has some rotation of the coffin bone, it is like the tiny tip of your finger, but on a horse it is major. AND so painful that they can barely walk.
Also you could have caused her some intestinal upset by putting them on the pasture too much too soon.
Horses usually have to be introduced to it slowly for a little bit each day for a few weeks then letting them out on it daily.
By giving grain and hay you could have pushed her system too much.
Horses usually sweat when in pain or distress as well as when they are hot or have been working like when carrying us riding and stuff like that.
Hope this helps
Carol

07/19/09  10:22pm

LilKitty
View Profile

Message To: Montessa_Python   In reference to Message Id: 2041899

Sick horse?

yeah we mowed it before we put them on it. but she has been in this pasture before. we have two pastures we switch them back and forth between so the grass doesn’t get ate completely away we haven’t fed hay since they have been in the new pasture because of all the grass. we just feed hay once there is hardly any grass left. sorry if i confused you i was just letting you know everything we have fed her. she does get the sweet feed everyday though. well once a few months ago she got out of the pasture and was out on the top of the hill in a huge field laying down. and she seemed so huge. but we got her up. but i don’t think that has anything to do with what is wrong now. she doesn’t seem to be in pain from walking. because at feeding time she is running around the pasture and bucking like usual. for 2 days she didn’t sweat really at all. so we had to cancel the vet because of financial issues but she is sweating again so we are going to call him back and set up another appointment for him

07/20/09  04:56pm

Montessa_Python
View Profile

Message To: LilKitty   In reference to Message Id: 2042293

Sick horse?

So how is the horse??

07/22/09  04:21pm

LilKitty
View Profile

Message To: Montessa_Python   In reference to Message Id: 2043454

Sick horse?

she is doing MUCH better. no sweating. no coughing. and her hair is growing back great. and we have no idea what the problem was she seems perfectly normal now

07/23/09  09:34am

Back to Horses Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area