Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Horses Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Horses Forum

CelticTigeress   Fairy Frog Mother   CelticTigeress   Fairy Frog Mother   CelticTigeress   Montessa_Python   Montessa_Python   CelticTigeress  
 Member  Message

CelticTigeress
View Profile

Ugh

You remember Cayuse my splash overo colt... the wild one that I ended up with because his owner couldn’t really deal with him. (though she still asks about him...rarely) this poor colt was given to her by someone who was given him so despite his youth he was already passed through 4-5 homes before a year old...sad right??

Anyway Cayuse and I bonded close, I am mama I am the onlky one he trusts to approach and handle him, I lay on his back I go and sit with him even after my accident and in a wheelchair he would come and lay for hours, I would read a book and talk to him...anyway we are close.

Before my surgery Husband took me to the in laws to visit for a time so I could get my mind off the procedure. My parents called daily somethng was wrong with Cayuse they couldnt get him to eat he looked bad he was losing weight they think hes going blind because he wont touch his food bowl (Yeah some vacation) I finally got home to a colt who looked BAD he was laying in the corner of his stall his head down, food untouched...which worried me they said he had been like that. I was getting ready to call the vet...since hes good with my horses, went in talked to Cayuse (honestly thought I might have to put him down) he heard me nickered, I sat with him outta the wheelchair for an hour loving on him, gave him pedialyte and molasasses water for nutrients, then drew his food bucket over... since i have been home he has been fine..I go to his stall cuddle with him he eats drinks, Im supplementing the hell out of him too and have him on a high percent feed with various herbal remedies, fatteners any trick up my sleeve (Carol have any tricks??) he seems fine (No he isnt going blind) but in my life even with cochise as close as he and I are I have NEVER had a horse refuse grain.... seems I cant take a vacation he wont let anyone else feed him...had one of my does kid yesterday twin girls gotta get pics she kidded in my lap.... ugh i experianced kidding first hand...all over me blech.....

I just am at a loss, even now mom puts his grain out or takes him cookies and he walks off, I come out with his grain bucket and he pigs out... any opinions, this has struck me as odder than hell and is completely new to me, even when im gone my other guys/gals eat just fine he just refuses.. (I did get im to the vet today had a friend haul him) vet said hes healthy aside from the thiness, his eyes are fine, no worms (but they are on a worming schedule anyway)had blood tests run as well... Vet says there is NOTHING no problem that should conflict with him not being able to eat... HAs anyone heard of a Horse bonded to an owner so close that they mourn when they don’t see them?? guess Im trying to figure out what is going through his head.. right now he is on three meals a day, all the hay he can eat and I spend hours a day with him

07/15/09  12:20pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: CelticTigeress   In reference to Message Id: 2039702

Ugh

Being moved about so much he probably has abandonment issues, and thinks you aren’t comming back. Perhaps hugging and loving on your mom around him when she has the time- getting her to take part in some of your special time with him...so she becomes part of his Herd...might help? It may take time with all of the bouncing around he has had. Hopefully with time he will get to trust everyone in your family enough to feel more secure.

You have to be able to take vacations, and heal up.

Mabey Carol will have some more advice for you. As Ive said, Ive never really been in a position to own or lease a horse...but I have loved them since I was a kiddo. One day Id love to have the land and money to properly care for and take in a couple of rescues or retirees. Good luck with yours!

07/16/09  11:12am

CelticTigeress
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2040283

Ugh

I’ve had several wih abandonment issues come through. Cayuse was supposedly ’impossible’ to handle. Before I left I did try to incorporate Mom with him ie giving him cookies and he loves dark ale beer like guiness, but to no avail... My Dad who has been riding all of his life has shown and placed in world (2 times with the same mare) is at a loss with it. today I had my mother come visit before work told her I was going to give Cayuse his breakfast showed her how to fix it...I walked out there with her he started eating but as soon as she walked up be backed away and wouldn’t come near her, I sat out with him so he could eat (was in my wheelchair I need to be pushed around) he just wants nothing to do with her.. now heres whats odd, my best friend Sarah comes over and he lets the kids around him (Wont eat but doesn’t run)

I honestly wish I knew more about his past, the girl I got him from wants him back now that he gentled down, but he is staying permanant, I can’t have him passed off again. not when he is trusting.. I have dealt with a LOT of issues with rescues but this is a complete first....i figure having mom push me out in the wheelchair will help him see it is alright. *Sigh*you might be right he might have some underlying issues with severe abandonment being one of them. It took me awhile to get him to come around to me, but I think it was because I was the first person to actually try with him. And now he is just attached. I have a close bond with my lil Appy he and I are close enough that he saved my life (actually made it into the small town newspaper in Tx) but he NEVER turns down food... he hates my mother though, lets her feed him but steps back and waits for her to walk off, not sure why my horse has so much animosity towards her... he loves My Husband though My guys are spoiled here though they are treated like kids...Same with the goats which explains why Magpie climbed in my lap to birth her kids ugh In my brand new tinkerbell Jammies to boot.

Any ideas in incorporating my Mother with him since he obviously doesn’t care for her?? I actually did get to watch first hand today his behavior with her, he pins his ears and walks off... or stands in a corner and waits....Ive been trying to get her to go out with the molasis cookies I make for my babies too... My friend who is GREAT with horses eve took him carrots and he wouldn’t take them it bugs me because I don’t want to have to worry about taking him when I leave and with this surgery coming up I don’t want him starving while I’m in the hospital.

07/16/09  01:10pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: CelticTigeress   In reference to Message Id: 2040368

Ugh

All I can think of is keep trying, and have her sit next to you while you sit there. Even if it takes a while for him to come up to you...have her not make eye contact, just read a book or something. And while he is eating have her slowly nuzzle up to you or vica versa. Have him see you do bonding things simular to horses in a herd would do. Have her brush your hair while you brush him or something.

Clearly it is going to take time. All you can do for now is try to fatten him up for while youre gone, and mabey leave some clothing of yours- be it a hoodie or shirt- (Hopefully your mom can wear one of your shirts) that smells like you for while you are gone. I know puppies have an easier transition to a new home if you give them a blanket at night which smells like their mother. Perhaps it would work with a horse...?

07/16/09  02:50pm

CelticTigeress
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2040437

Ugh

Cayuse has my old grey sweater jacket in his stall, it was brought there by my great Dane "His binky" heh never seen 150pound dog need a security blanket, but he was a rescue...then he graduated from my sweater to an old robe so Cayuse got the left over hand me down with his jolly ball... but your right, I know my mother doesnt care for horses like dad and I do, think maybe Cayuse is picking up on it? like I said my appy despises her and he loves everyone (well almost ha ha) hmmmmm a blanket might work I do have an old quilt that im considering tossing, might get that out for cayuse then thanks darlin

07/16/09  02:55pm

Montessa_Python
View Profile

Message To: CelticTigeress   In reference to Message Id: 2040444

Ugh

Okay here is a wild thought...
Just thinking out loud here...
And I know it sounds weird...
And I know your mom is not in with horses. so perhaps a friend..
Get some pajamas, sleep in them alot, hang out in them... Put them in a plastic trash bag..
Get a friend to take a bath using your shampoo and soap....OR mom...
Have them dress in your clothes, have some one push the person out to Cayuse and see if he will eat.

Is he stalled alone? Is there another horse he can be buddied up to? OR perhaps a goat?
He is lonely for you, but he has got to learn to accept other people.
Perhaps a mare that really bonds to a young horse.

perhaps if you were to go out with another person at first, and then leave, then come back.. go back and forth...getting him used to you going and leaving..
Like a dog with seperation anxiety...

This one has me stumped.
Carol

07/17/09  11:31pm

Montessa_Python
View Profile

Message To: Montessa_Python   In reference to Message Id: 2041141

A few questions

I posted a bit of the original post on one of my online horse groups.. keeping any names or nicknames off of the boards...
One person may have some ideas but wanted more info..
Here is her questions.

Quote:

Has this youngster been wormed on a regular basis?

It isnt normal for a horse to stop eating because the owner is gone.

What is the food like where he is staying?

Let me know so I can try to help..

OH and an old fashioned way of getting weight back on a horse is a cup of corn or vegatable oil in their grain. Also Omelene 200 is great for weight gain, also equine senior is supposed to be good.

Carol

07/18/09  08:44am

CelticTigeress
View Profile

Message To: Montessa_Python   In reference to Message Id: 2041220

A few questions

all my horses are wormed regular, I also alternate wormer to prevent parasites developing an immunity to the wormer.

All my horses are on strategy, I administer sunflower hearts in their grain as well as source. for Cayuse he gets source senior and calfmanna added to his grain. I have a B-12 supplement added on, and an OMEGA fat supplement. He is on grow colt to. primarily due to me not having a good guess on his past...

Im using strategy because it is in the summer and I have had great results in the past, I don’t do sweet feed because its been in the 100’s here and I dont want to risk it going bad. tell your friend thank you and it isnt an experianced horse owner that doesn’t know jack which is why I am so damn floored with it. he is eating just fine now (though I am about to go out and worm him with Zimectrin gold)

07/18/09  12:52pm

Back to Horses Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area