Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Horses Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Horses Forum

Montessa_Python   CelticTigeress   Montessa_Python   CelticTigeress   Montessa_Python   Fairy Frog Mother   Montessa_Python   Fairy Frog Mother  
 Member  Message

Montessa_Python
View Profile

New horse, badly cut leg

A friend of mine got this lovely filly, she is just two and well has some issues with wanting to be around other horses...
It led to her hurting herself by going through a wooden barn stall and the wall, getting stuck and then getting stomped and beaten up by my friends other mares who apparently hate her.
She badly cut her right back leg and some other major cuts. That was treated well and she recovered fairly well. W/ some scars but sound.
I brought down my 3/4 blind 1/4 horse.. lol to keep her company and my friend was in the hospital giving birth to her son.
They decided to sell the filly due to time and her hubby, not a horse person, told me to come get my mare, he thought that in a new locale and with 20 acres the mares would leave the filly alone...
they didn’t and she badly cut her other back leg.
They have pretty much left it untreated, so now it has a huge amount of proud flesh on it and looks bad.
We found her a riding horse, and brought it down to her. After seeing the filly, and my friend telling me we could have her. My barn owner quietly seething and really wanting to get the filly out of there. I said yes.
So now the treatment begins.
Here is a pic of her before she got any injuries.
Courtesy of Oh No Farms, and her former owner, and my friend.. still a good friend...

Her barn name was Egypt or gyp.. we are calling her Farah in memory of Farah Fawcett.

I will post more pics tonight of how she looks now.. and an ongoing thread of her recovery.
Carol

06/26/09  02:08pm

CelticTigeress
View Profile

Message To: Montessa_Python   In reference to Message Id: 2029327

New horse, badly cut leg

beautiful gal. she looks liverchestnut but has jist enough flash.

they make a powder that removes the proudflesh but if it were me i’d give her 5cc’s pcn for 5days. can I have her? ha ha.

I am sure she will be fine she’s in good hands now. look forward to more photos and hearing of her progress..hate to hear she’s hurt bet she’d make a good barrel mare heh

06/26/09  06:17pm

Montessa_Python
View Profile

Message To: CelticTigeress   In reference to Message Id: 2029447

Be aware of graphic images

Pics from today

06/27/09  12:08am

CelticTigeress
View Profile

Message To: Montessa_Python   In reference to Message Id: 2029602

Oh those cuts look nasty.... Im telling you (Ill look at what I have) the powder will get rid of that prod flesh. is she walking okay or is she showing signs of pain??

those cuts had me cringing they look horrid, might be worth it to have the vet come out sedate and trim the flesh off than administer antibiotics, looks like she has a lil infection trying....but she is a cute lil filly carol please keep us posted!!

06/27/09  09:25pm

Montessa_Python
View Profile

Message To: CelticTigeress   In reference to Message Id: 2030023

Well the swelling has gone down a bit.. I realized looking back on some posts about the mare who kept her company, this wound is 6 weeks old by the time we got her...
We will be having a vet consult on Monday, and are using cut/heal, meat tenderizer and will be doing DMSO for the lump which seems to be a calcium lump under proud flesh.
I put in a call to a company with lots of testimonials and a product that "dissolves" proud flesh..
I had done online research on dealing with excessive proud flesh and they had a few different ideas, most were with pressure bandaging, various remedies or over the counter products or surgical removal of the proud flesh...
The company said all but their stuff, or surgery was the bunk, they stuff was the best everything else was wrong.. except surgery or their stuff.... funny that.
I will keep taking pics of the wound and her recovery. I will take more this friday, I took some yesterday and the swelling is down already after only 3 days.
My friend is in love with the mare we found for her, and I think having to spend so much time in the hospital and at her family’s home after her first child, she just couldn’t handle dealing with injury after injury with the filly.
Carol

06/30/09  08:38am

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Montessa_Python   In reference to Message Id: 2031420

She is so pretty, but poor thing...those ribs. Im very glad she is in your care. Hopefully she will get along well with your horses and she wont be so accident prone with you.

Hope she continues to heal well.

07/01/09  11:14am

Montessa_Python
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2032057

She is in with an old old mare, two fillies near her age or same age, a very nice 14 yr old mare and a 4 yr old gelding, he is the "trouble" maker, but they all seem to be doing very well.
She has no experience with tractors though and we feed round bales using one, so it should be interesting.
LOL

07/01/09  09:16pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Montessa_Python   In reference to Message Id: 2032395

I love the Appy like spots on her rear.

Five bucks says whens shes all healed up and adjusts to the new herd, she will end up being like a playfull puppy dog following you about, and come to the fence when she hears the tractor to see what treats you’re bringin.

07/02/09  12:47pm

Back to Horses Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area