Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Horses Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Horses Forum

Trixiefrogz   Buddy&Konas   Montessa_Python   CelticTigeress   Trixiefrogz   Buddy&Konas   Buddy&Konas   JENOVA   Trixiefrogz   Trixiefrogz   JENOVA   Trixiefrogz   Bbgood23   CelticTigeress   Trixiefrogz   Buddy&Konas   CelticTigeress   Just1more   Montessa_Python   Just1more  
 Member  Message

Trixiefrogz
View Profile

Stallions

Does anybody have any experience with stallions? This guy looks really nice, and the owner says he’s really well behaved; Link

I would love a stallion, I learned to ride on one. Would any of you say they can be a lot more difficult than geldings or mares? My friend wants to breed a foal to train (her parents agree) and she would pay me a stud fee if I get a stally.

What do you guys think?

03/02/09  05:39pm

Buddy&Konas
View Profile

Message To: Trixiefrogz   In reference to Message Id: 1961913

Stallions

no offense but if you could not handle george or mozart whatever his name was as it always changes and what i have seen from your pictures ie inexperience in tacking up etc, i would not advise you to go and buy a stallion!

it is a totally different thing to ride a stallion and own a stallion, not a good idea for an beginner.

again if i offended you i am sorry but for your level, i would pass, he is beautiful tho

03/02/09  08:01pm

Montessa_Python
View Profile

Message To: Trixiefrogz   In reference to Message Id: 1961913

Stallions

Keeping a stallion can be a challenge. Especially if the stable is not suited for a stallion. They need to have separate pens/paddocks and while they can have a gelding buddy or two, they cannot be around mares during a breeding cycle.
They can and will try to get out to get among the mares. And can get aggressive towards you, people and other horses during the breeding season.
Some stallions can be as tame as a kitten and ridden among mares with no one even guessing they are a stud. Others are different.
In most states you cannot show a stallion if you are under the age of 18. So you would not be able to show him unless you had him gelded.
I would strongely suggest that you look to a horse rescue, the humane society, and around your state to find a horse that is well broke and can be a horse you can learn a lot on. safely.
Let me know, perhaps I can help.
Carol

03/02/09  11:38pm

CelticTigeress
View Profile

Message To: Montessa_Python   In reference to Message Id: 1962154

Stallions

Stallions are a breed of their own...

Some sure might be ’well behaved’ but once they scent a mare... its on. they become aggressive towards their Humans at times, I rode a WONDERFUL stallion sure but at THAT time of the month I couldn’t go anywhere near him. he was a ten year old I raced on. a good boy though unless he smelled a mare in cycle, he was kept in his own paddock and could become unmanageable....

if you could not handle that Arab boy of yours hon, as sweet as I think you are you have no buisiness with a stallion...they take experiance and patience and if you are not careful you can get hurt. they take panels and a paddock away from mares seperate.... like Carol said some can be ridden among mares and be fine, but with your inexperiance you cannot afford to take that chance...

I will gladly help you look, it is ashamed that your not in Oklahoma I know a sweet little mare up for salde here that is downright awesome prior show mare belongs to a friend of mine but doesnt fit her program...

what you need is an older horse with miles and experiance...try petfinder they list horses in shelters needing a home....

03/03/09  10:22am

Trixiefrogz
View Profile

Message To: CelticTigeress   In reference to Message Id: 1962308

Stallions

excuse me, Buddy&Konas, That wasn’t my tacking up job. I hadn’t even planned on riding him that day, I was letting my little brother take him for a spin, including tacking up, and I was going to tell him to fix the saddle but he’s only six and my mom told me not to hurt his feelings because he thought he’d done a good job. I’m not getting rid of him because I can’t handle him, it’s because he’s too SMALL. My elite trainer said I handled him BEAUTIFULLY.

Thanks for the help, montessa and CT. I’m looking at a 12 YO all around btdt show horse, the owner’s getting her trainer to sell the horse cheaply because she’s away in spain.
pix soon.

03/05/09  05:09pm

Buddy&Konas
View Profile

Message To: Trixiefrogz   In reference to Message Id: 1963695

Stallions

let me recall u said this in another thread i just quoted it

Quote:

I guess an ex-arab racer just isn’t for me. also he’s too small

so obviously you had problems with george, also i ve seen pictures and your posture does need work!! even if your trainer said you handled him beautifully, doesnt mean u can go and buy a stallion, in fact most trainers i know discourage teens from buying a stallion!

also even if my sister tacked up my horse wrong OFC i would correct it! it is MY horse, i would do it nicely tho like " oh the saddle pad needs to go a bit further but GREAT JOB!"

may i also ask why are you looking for a show horse?? do u plan on showing and have the funds to show full time?? most show horses are used to being worked everyday and always are in training with a day off a week..

also im from canada so we dont use the term ELITE trainer so can u please explain what experience she has to be an ELITE?? did she go to the olympics?? i would think so???

03/05/09  08:14pm

Buddy&Konas
View Profile

Message To: Buddy&Konas   In reference to Message Id: 1963772

Stallions

another post i found where u were complaining about how to handle george, if u cant even handle him when he tries to take off imagine trying to handle an STALLION!!!!

Quote:

SOOO here’s my problem. when Mozart is feeling stress (i.e. at a show) he tries to bolt away using his polish arab racer speed. also, when he hears gunshots. not just on the ground, but during ridden work, too. If I take charge and try to stop him, he bucks me off! here’s how he does it: he goes almost vertical on his front feet, so thet when he comes horizontal again I’m thrown foreward, snaps his head back to his me, and throws an extravagant buck, usually ending with me on the groud and him high-tailing it up the road, if we’re not in a ring. what do I do when he bucks or bolts? how do I correct it!

03/05/09  08:16pm

JENOVA
View Profile

Message To: Trixiefrogz   In reference to Message Id: 1963695

Stallions

Quote:

I was letting my little brother take him for a spin, including tacking up, and I was going to tell him to fix the saddle but he’s only six and my mom told me not to hurt his feelings because he thought he’d done a good job.

We can never learn unless someone lets us know we’re not correct. You won’t hurt someone’s feelings with friendly correction/guidance. (also, tacking up wrong can be detrimental to the horse be it physical or psychological)

Anywho, I realize you said he’s "too small"; I’m not ignoring that. However if a trainer says "you handled him beautifully" that doesn’t always translate to "You were perfect with him in every way". Maybe she was talking about your reactions to his actions? The way you dealt with any flighty-ness?

And I’m not trying to start anything, just a bit confused:

Did you just say you put a six year old on a horse that you’ve been having problems with him taking off, bucking, etc?

03/06/09  12:30am

Trixiefrogz
View Profile

Message To: JENOVA   In reference to Message Id: 1963892

Stallions

I was leading my brother on him and my mom was taking pics for my grandma.

Quote:

may i also ask why are you looking for a show horse?? do u plan on showing and have the funds to show full time?? most show horses are used to being worked everyday and always are in training with a day off a week..

Even though that’s none of your business,m I’m going to answer it for the benefit of everyone else here. I DO work my horses every day but Sunday, their day off, and YES we have the money, not that I have any obligation whatsoever to tell you our financial situation. btw, elite trainer here means she has had at least 60 years experience with horses, yes she would have gone Olympic if she hadn’t decided to train advanced jumping dressage and equitation students. her brother was in the Olympics though. Go ahead, look up Betsy Moody. And in my posts I was asking what to do to make him QUIT bolting, not how to stay on. not to sound rude or anything, but will you please shut up? I’ve already said I’m not looking at the stallion anymore, he’s already sold! This whole post was about me asking what people’s experience has been with stallions, not whether or not I was WORTHY to own one or whatever. What’s your experience. with stallions? huh? do you even ride? do you have a horse? Or are you just some wannabe sitting on the sofa at home pretending to be all holier than thou? At least most of the people on this forum (like CT and Montessa, u rock!) can give good pure advice without making a personal attack! I NEVER asked for unwanted tips about my posture and crap from you. Montessa, CT help me out. you know I’m not usually like this but this kind of ’help’ rubs me the wrong way. I never wanted this thread to turn into some freaky battle of the ’experienced’ but can you please try to be a LITTLE nicer in your posts?! since you came on here you’ve not been helpful at ALL.

03/06/09  01:26pm

Trixiefrogz
View Profile

Message To: Trixiefrogz   In reference to Message Id: 1964077

Stallions

and if i do or don’t correct my little brother is NONE of your concern.

03/06/09  01:27pm

JENOVA
View Profile

Message To: Trixiefrogz   In reference to Message Id: 1964080

Stallions

I was never tying to be nasty to you. I’m sorry if you felt that way. The only reason I ever commented on your posture was just because sitting upright firmly in the saddle can stop them from bolting. Not always, but hey, it can help quite a bit. (it also helps you maintain balance in case something bad should happen).

And I’m not saying that you were horribly wrong to not correct your brother. I think it’s really nice that you involve him. All I meant was correction is how you learn.

03/06/09  01:47pm

Trixiefrogz
View Profile

Message To: JENOVA   In reference to Message Id: 1964087

Stallions

I was mostly talking to Buddy&Konas, but thanks!! You’re really nice.

03/06/09  02:33pm

Bbgood23
View Profile

Message To: Trixiefrogz   In reference to Message Id: 1964114

Stallions

buddy&konas I think trixie is right. you should’t attack her like that, and you definitely shouldn’t ask about her financial situation. what if someone here was talking to you like that?

03/06/09  02:54pm

CelticTigeress
View Profile

Message To: Bbgood23   In reference to Message Id: 1964119

Stallions

I think, as nuetral as sweden as I am

that everyone should step back....I am sure noone meant Insults but if someone has an arguement take it to PMs... guys keep in Mind Trixie is a young n, shes not as hard shelled as some of us adults. Trixie keep in mind that some are trying to help you but may not seem that way. Internet can be horribl misleading unfortunately....

Guys se was asking about opinions on Stallons, we have to keep in mind as adults to offer helpful adviceand critiquing and guidence in a fashion for a young Lady, Trixie you have to realize that the adults are trying to hep but may not grsp the complete understanding, sometimes we forget that A) this is a foum and B) there are bot children and adults. R.Z has a nasty habit of cliques and we want to offer a different view point in the Horse Forum not as an arguementative group, but as a helpful group of knowledgeable people.... I think the arguing should cease everone should apologize or at least call a truce.....

since Buddy&konas is from Canada and Trixie, you are from the US maybe you two can discuss various differences as far as riding instruction, shows, ect... Trixie I dont think Buddy meant harm, think Buddy was trying to help and was brash, Buddy Trixie was asking about Stallions rather than critiquing posture in this post and going OT start a new thread with helpful hints so thatany other visitor can prosper from it.. and offer reasons why a stallion is not a good idea, dont bring up George/mozart but list the agression issues ect...

I think this was a discussion that got just a wee bit out of hand everyone chill out and start over...

bbgood23 while I am sure you meant well, saying someone shouldnt attack s NOT a good way to diffuse a situation itis often best to sit back and chill typically outsiders can flare things up and do more harm than good with comments like ’attack’ Because it may rile up the individual addressed at and cause more issues than there is a whole flame board topic occuring...nuetral like Sweden is always the best way not to take sdes or assume but hear what both parties have to say and diffuse the stuation in a quiet calm manner explaining to both not jumping on one person and not the other...

I think both were wrong in the way the situation was handled, I think this topic could have been handled better yes, but we earn from mistakes, there was no harm...now everyone lets relax and start trying to come up with names for my new fill :-) I know I am SUCH a topic hog har har

03/06/09  09:20pm

Trixiefrogz
View Profile

Message To: CelticTigeress   In reference to Message Id: 1964299

Stallions

lol, thanks CT you’re such a big help. Buddy, srry I jumped like that, the subject of george/mo is pretty sensitive right now. I’m pretty tired (not that this is what you or anyone else is saying) of people telling me a 6 month trial wasn’t long enough to try him out properly... it’s a sore subject. Isn’t CT great? lol

03/06/09  09:51pm

Buddy&Konas
View Profile

Message To: Trixiefrogz   In reference to Message Id: 1964329

Stallions

honestly i didnt mean to come across as brash or rude, but i do rescue horses from owners who are not as " knowledgeable" and it frustrates me which is why i was asking what your experience was. and if i made you angry i am sorry,

on a lighter notice i think 6 months trial is long enough to tell if you click with a horse or not! most barns in canada will only give you a week or two trial!

and on a lighter notice yes i do have experience with stallions i curently work for leslie reid and i handle the stallions at her place 6x a week

03/08/09  12:59am

CelticTigeress
View Profile

Message To: Buddy&Konas   In reference to Message Id: 1964833

Stallions

There

peace and quiet..Internet sucks in the bad way doesn’t it?? you can’t guage the words of another too well at all!!! I think that some people that get into racers and dont have the handle on them bite off more then they can chew..

a friend of mine with limited knowledge bought an OTTB...too much to handle... and I can see where its coming from since you mentioned George being an ex racer.... 6 months is way plenty time in 2 weeks I can tell you if the horse is what I need....usually I lease a horse for a month before I buy... at any rate glad this was solved

still dont think She should get a stallion heh

03/08/09  06:14pm

Just1more
View Profile

Message To: CelticTigeress   In reference to Message Id: 1965137

Stallions

I don’t know how experienced you are with horses, but I’ve been around horses for 37 years, and let me tell you a story about a stallion that I owned.I owned a wonderful, very gentle and beautiful stallion. I broke him for riding, took him on trails with other horses,(mares included), used him for breeding. He never did anything wrong until one day.....we were at a show. There must have been a mare in heat and I almost lost him (which would have been a disaster). I had to put him in the trailer right away and couldn’t show him anymore for fear that he would hurt someone. 2 weeks later, he broke through 2 fences and jumped over a 3rd fence and bred a boarders mare. The next day, I called the vet and got him gelded. I never saw it coming. He never showed any sign that he was going to do what he did. I won plenty of ribbons with him at several different shows and he never even thought about doing anything wrong.
It just goes to show, you can’t trust every stallion. I owned this stallion for 3 yrs. I thought I knew him like the back of my hand. I worked with him everyday that I could. I bought him as a 2yr old and sold him as a 5yr old. I miss him deeply,but I have 2 of his daughters. He taught me alot but I will never get another stallion to use for riding and showing again. I wish you luck.

08/27/09  04:22pm

Montessa_Python
View Profile

Message To: Just1more   In reference to Message Id: 2064264

Stallions

Just...
A thought for ya... take a look how OLD the thread is before replying...
CT had replied to something in March...
The thread is/was OLD...
Just thought you should know.
We do try to keep things current.
But thank you for the words of wisdom.
I know a person similar to you who had a stallion that she did the same things with.. but I don’t think he went postal when he matured as yours seemed to.
Its strange where I board she has had stallions next to mares, but they were WAAAAYYY past time their prime and not coming into season anymore. and there was hot wire, and had a gelding buddy...or two.

carol

08/27/09  09:50pm

Just1more
View Profile

Message To: Montessa_Python   In reference to Message Id: 2064423

Stallions

yeah, I saw how old after I posted. It was a blonde moment.......lol.

08/29/09  03:36pm

Back to Horses Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area