Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Horned Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Horned Lizards Forum

KatiGrace0414   Phrynosoma_Texas_FS3   KatiGrace0414   Jaffar   Phrynosoma_Texas_FS3   KatiGrace0414   Phrynosoma_Texas_FS3   Cable_Hogue   Manuel123   Silverbinder  
 Member  Message

KatiGrace0414
View Profile

Is this Normal?

Hi, we bought a Horned Lizard yesterday....And she stays puffed up...Is this normal?

06/23/06  04:58pm

Phrynosoma_Texas_FS3
View Profile

Message To: KatiGrace0414   In reference to Message Id: 847768

Is this Normal?

Where did you buy it, and what state are you in?
This is a Texas Horned Lizard, protected in several states.

Itís displaying this behavior because it is scared. No doubt the person who sold it to you knew nothing about these lizards and told you nothing before you bought it. You didnít study much before buying, and realistic chances are it will not live long, especially if it was captured from the wild. Iíve been communicating with someone else who made the mistake of buying 2 of this breed that were wild caught. He did not listen to me, and one was dead in 3 DAYS! The other is in questionable shape as well, and a week hasnít gone by yet.

Read previous messages please for more information. These are the sort of questions that are answered repeatedly and many resources have already been listed for more reading on horned lizards.

If you live near itís original home or in any of the states where it is a native species, my suggestion to save the life of the lizard, would be to return it. Not trying to be mean here, the honest but brutal truth is that you are not ready to care for it yet if you have to ask basic questions. And statistically the odds are stacked way way way toward this animal dying in those circumstances.

You will need to order harvester ants to feed it if you do not live in a state where these ants are native.

06/24/06  03:32pm

KatiGrace0414
View Profile

Message To: Phrynosoma_Texas_FS3   In reference to Message Id: 849377

Is this Normal?

We asked before we bought her what kind she was....I did research thank you very much...I had a horned toad before and it did died and it broke my heart itís been over a year and half ago....I finally felt like I wanted another try at them...We have other reptiles and we are not cruel people, these animals are like family to us....Sheís eat up to 40 pinhead crickets a day....Sheís really doing great.....I posted looking for nice kind people who could give me pointers not people who assume I know nothing...I just wanted ways to make her calmer so she wouldnít get so puffed up....Sheís calmed down alot she really doesnít puff up at all anymore....But thanks for giving me a few pointers i guess...

06/26/06  12:27pm

Jaffar
View Profile

Message To: KatiGrace0414   In reference to Message Id: 852230

Is this Normal?

Quote:

Sheís eat up to 40 pinhead crickets a day....Sheís really doing great.

Just an FYI but since you researched and should already know but without Harvester ants she will DIE a slow death.

06/26/06  03:52pm

Phrynosoma_Texas_FS3
View Profile

Message To: Jaffar   In reference to Message Id: 852551

Is this Normal?

Yes, I meant no offense personally. But if you had done sufficient research you would have already known that this puffing behavior is normal for a defensive horned lizard. You did not state you knew what the behavior was or that it was normal, and you did not ask how to remedy it.
In addition, sufficient research would have told you that such a diet of so many pinhead crickets everyday can cause impaction, as well as a lack of nutrients from harvester ants.

06/26/06  11:08pm

KatiGrace0414
View Profile

Message To: Phrynosoma_Texas_FS3   In reference to Message Id: 853394

Is this Normal?

I know she needs Ants...And we are ordering some...I didnít want to start off on the wrong foot...I did sound pretty stupid in my first post....So I have to take credit for that....But she is Eating and Drinking and very active....We live in South East Florida...Iím 15 and home school, grew up with every kind of animal you can imagine on a farm....Now we live in the city but I really miss all the animals so I like having pets...I donít want her to die...So anything anyone can tell me Iíll take with an open mind...I knew the puffing up was Defense, but Iíve held many lizards and none of them ever did this...I didnít know why out of every other lizard why she was puffing up and the others werenít....Sheís calming down now tho...But she still puffs up sometimes....My e-mail is if anyone can help me with any pointers....Is she illegal in Florida?And Iím sorry for being so Jumpy before I hate when people think Iím stupid....

06/27/06  12:15pm

Phrynosoma_Texas_FS3
View Profile

Message To: KatiGrace0414   In reference to Message Id: 854114

Is this Normal?

Thatís all right. I knew you must be young based on your emotional reaction. No flame intended. This is not a personal attack with me.

Understand though, that I have been keeping and studying reptiles for longer than you have been alive. And understand that my methods may sound harsh, but I am only presenting facts in a scientific manner. I just shoot the truth out there and hope people can handle it, or that they are not too wrapped up in their feelings to realize the truth and abide by it for the sake of their own animal. I want your horned lizard to live too, and my concern is for the lizard, not you. That may sound cold and clinical, but again, you must understand that what most likely could kill this horned lizard way before itís time...is you. So I hope you do listen to what others have to say on the matter.

Now, what you should do is read the previous messages and take some of the advice listed in them for reading material. You should read all you can from phrynosoma.org ( not my site ), and you should check out the kingsnake forum on horned lizards.

Again, after doing this for several years, I know beyond a doubt that you do not know enough yet about horned lizards. Those are just the facts from someone who has been doing this for a bit. If you can come to that realization and admit it, then your horned lizard will be better off. Do not be defensive. There is no need for it. Horned lizards are just very difficult to keep alive in captivity generally. One little thing and they could be dead. I know, it has happened to me a couple of times.

As far as them being legal in Florida; Iím sure they are. Last I checked they were not considered a native species, since they originally came from further west ( like Texas ). They were brought over the years by people travelling back east. I would call your fish and game office and ask. I can find out for you when I have the time to look up the law again.

She is probably wild caught though, and that makes for a poor choice as a pet. Most of them die within months without necessary care. She will probably continue to stress in this manner, and it can contribute to health problems or death. Donít handle her any more than you have to for starters. And get a UVB lamp if you donít already have one.

You also may do some research on harvester ants. Florida does have some that are native. They are called Pogonomyrmex badius.

06/27/06  11:12pm

Cable_Hogue
View Profile

Message To: Phrynosoma_Texas_FS3   In reference to Message Id: 855301

Is this Normal?

Check out www.phrynosoma.org
There is a ton of information on HL care and other resources needed.
I am keeping cornutum (Texas HL) and have had good success.
Your tank size and lighting is just as important as the diet, so these things should be looked into.
Good luck!

06/28/06  10:08am

Manuel123
View Profile

Message To: KatiGrace0414   In reference to Message Id: 847768

Is this Normal?

u should not handle him they git stressed out fast, and where did u git him man they are protected in most states or did u git him in Mexico?i also have a male Texas horned lizard that i have had for 2 years!they do not make good pets but good luck i hope he eats!

12/30/08  07:01pm

Silverbinder
View Profile

Message To: Manuel123   In reference to Message Id: 1923357

Is this Normal?

I have sent an inquiry to Florida Fish and Game. We should hear back in a couple of days. Florida is sensitive to such issues because of the problem the state has with exotic wildlife and plants. Reptile and pet dealers are carefully watched.

The members are right about a couple of things. Pet purchases should not be impulse type purchases.
Take as much time as you need to research the purchase. Ants are hard to find and expensive to keep ordering. We have main tined them for displays and even though we are able to get ants free. The little guys don’t do well in captivity.

Good luck and happy herping!

01/01/09  05:09am

Back to Horned Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area