Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Horned Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Horned Lizards Forum

Iamthelizardking   Repfanaticlady29   Repfanaticlady29  
 Member  Message

Iamthelizardking
View Profile

Please respond asap....i dont want this little guy to die

i just got this little guy(jub jub as i dubbed him) about a week ago....he seems to be thriving and eating/hiding in the sand/and looking very plump, and using the lizard restroom often(2-3 giant poops a day?!?!) i simply do not want anything to happen to this amazing creature and would never forgive myself if i were to cause this little joy any harm..........i woke up today and he had begun to shed his skin. i wasnt sure if this was normal or a stress reaction..........he has been lving off what i could catch in my back yard(pillbugs/spiders/other small insects under logs and such) i bought crickets at the store and he is devouring them at a rate i thought not possible for such a little guy.......if someone, anyone, could let me know what to watch for as far as warning signs he isnt doing good i would really appreciate it..........i would rather let him go than keep him and have him die or get ill..............one last note.......he wont eat any ant of any kind put into his cage........i live in los osos california close to the ocean if that helps narrow down what kind of horned lizard this lil jub jub(again my nickname for him/her)....please help me out and keep him happy and alive thank you

07/20/10  11:58am

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

Message To: Iamthelizardking   In reference to Message Id: 2163764

If you took it from the wild then put it back. Many horned lizard species are protected and it is illegal to catch them. Sometimes you can get a license to catch and keep a few, but you’ll have to check the laws with the department of fish & wildlife in your area. These animals (all species) don’t do well in captivity hence this forum not being active. Check this group out: http://pets.groups. yahoo.com/group/hornedlizards (take out the space between groups. and yahoo). They are mostly involved in conservation of HLs, but they do help keepers too. That is your best hope in keeping it alive if you choose to keep it. But again, if it’s wild caught do the right thing and put it back before it dies like so many others already have.

07/20/10  11:41pm

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

Message To: Repfanaticlady29   In reference to Message Id: 2163973

Also forgot to mention they eat harvester ants. They do not survive with anything else. The founder of the group I posted above sells them. Here’s that site: Link.

07/20/10  11:45pm

Back to Horned Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area