Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Horned Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Horned Lizards Forum

Sslczar   THE COBRA   Sslczar   Voguestar   Julie:D  
 Member  Message

Sslczar
View Profile

Please help!

i have a horned lizard that i bought 6 months ago. she was doing great until now. over the past month or so she has started eating much less then in the past. the pet store that i got her from said she only needs crickets but everything i’m reading is saying she must have harvester ants. i do put a vitamin supplement on the crickets but could the fact that she has never been given ants be making her weak? i have had iguanas and bearded dragons in the past but this is all new to me with the horned lizard. i would have never bought her if i knew they were so tricky to keep alive. i feel very guilty having her and knowing almost nothing about how to care for her. i thought she was really easy in the beginning but now she is not looking well and i am very worried about her. every pet store i ask gives me different information about how to care for her and i’m so confused. if anyone has any experience with horned toad lizards and what exactly i should be doing for her in regards to food, vitamins, space, heat, lighting, or anything else please help me out. i really want to do the rite thing for her and i’m afraid i’m killing her. thank you!

06/14/10  10:27pm

THE COBRA
View Profile

Message To: Sslczar   In reference to Message Id: 2155836

Hello i will help

I can give you the right advise but if the lizard is really really sick it will probably not make it..... OK if your absolutely positive it is a horned lizard you need to feed it harvester ants.... you know those big red ants that pack a pain full bite if you live in an area were these ants live just collect some and throw them in the tank. if not you can buy some on line.... good luck horned lizard are among the most difficult to keep in captivity.... also it would be help full to see a pic or know were the lizard was caught so we can identify witch species it is

06/15/10  08:27pm

Sslczar
View Profile

Message To: THE COBRA   In reference to Message Id: 2156096

Hello i will help

hi, thank you so much here are some pictures. i have no idea what kind she is so if you could tell me that would be great. any info you have would help so much. let me know. thanks!

06/15/10  09:59pm

Voguestar
View Profile

Message To: Sslczar   In reference to Message Id: 2156119

Hello i will help

We have those locally here in Arizona. We call them "Horny Toads" Iam not exactly sure if its the same exact kind as there may be other species. However I do know that I see these guys all the time sitting at an ant hill just snatching every ant that passes. So I would say you probably need to get ants for the little guy. You really should fully research an animal before housing it, other wise you run into the problem of not knowing how to care for it and it suffering..Try doing some researching on the net for it in less than 5 minutes I found a lot of useful info on them... Good luck!

Quote:

The diet of most horned lizards species varies from 60-90% harvester ant of the genus Pogonomyrmex, though they are opportunistic and supplement these with termites, beetles, crickets, grasshoppers and other small live insects.

09/07/10  05:35pm

Julie:D
View Profile

Message To: Sslczar   In reference to Message Id: 2155836

Please help!

they eat harvester ants. they are one of the hardest lizards to care for. the ants have a venom that helps build a strong immune system for the horned lizard. and crickets have a high amount of indigestible chitin and are high in fat content, which the Horned Lizard�s system is not suitably adapted for as a frequent meal. so that may be why she’s weak. you can order ants online for her at:

http://www.infowest.com/life/hornfood.htm

09/07/10  06:25pm

Back to Horned Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area