Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Horned Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Horned Lizards Forum

Montessa_Python   HappyNewbie   Montessa_Python   Hey BrutusBites!   Freds his name  
 Member  Message

Montessa_Python
View Profile

New HL person, but long history w/ them!

I grew up in the Nevada desert and found them all over the place and have always loved them.
I went to my local reptile specialty store and lo and behold, he got in a shipment of 4 of them.
I of course had to get one.
S/he is on sand with a few rocks and a hollow log bit (not a half log from a store).
I am trying to give him a day or so to settle in and will give a few small crickets and some ants from the front yard tomorrow.
I will be ordering some harvester ants as well.
Any way here is my critter.

07/17/09  09:14pm

HappyNewbie
View Profile

Message To: Montessa_Python   In reference to Message Id: 2041090

Hi, nice pics. I’m new HL person too. Well, i live in Vietnam and they don’t sell or have harvester ants here. I have two HLs and they are quite small. The strange thing is they enjoy to be pet and don’t seem to be afraid of me. They even get on my hands by themselves. I’m just wondering if this is a normal thing. Is your HL friendly to you?

07/18/09  08:08am

Montessa_Python
View Profile

Message To: HappyNewbie   In reference to Message Id: 2041214

Well Some what, they are a lazy creature by nature.
The warmth of our hands is something they enjoy. And if they get used to something, I think that they would not tend to run if acclimated to it. Such as You or your hands.

Carol

07/18/09  08:34am

Hey BrutusBites!
View Profile

Message To: Montessa_Python   In reference to Message Id: 2041218

horned lizards freeze when they sense danger. when you’re *petting* them, do they turn their bodies on an angle where you can’t touch their stomachs? do they puff up? this is all defensive behavior.

07/25/09  10:01am

Freds his name
View Profile

Message To: HappyNewbie   In reference to Message Id: 2041214

haha i got a bearded dragon this july for my b day and my dad saw it and that it was a HL

09/06/09  09:01pm

Back to Horned Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area