Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Horned Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Horned Lizards Forum

Stonergirl   Detra25   Samieclaus  
 Member  Message

Stonergirl
View Profile

I think i have a boy and s girl

Ok I would really like to know how to get my own hasrvester ant colony so i don’t have to worry about not having any for Izzy and Lizzy. I pretty sure ones a girl, the girl has more green around her sides than the other one, but I just need to know how to make a colony so i can breed them, and do they drink water? All I know about them is these are not pionious and they like you to rub there backs, they close there eyes and chill when u do rub them. My boys love to watch them. can some one please answer my questions? please

06/18/09  12:07pm

Detra25
View Profile

Message To: Stonergirl   In reference to Message Id: 2024563

there are two ways to get a harvester ant colony, one easier than the other. One way is to buy one, which IS easier than the other way. The other way is to find a colony in the wild and dig up the queen ant. This however, is MUCH more dangerous. You can put water in their tank if you want, but they mostly get their moisture from their food. You don’t necessarily HAVE to feed them ants. they’ll eat crickets too, but they like ants better. Other than that you’re doing fine

07/02/09  03:36pm

Samieclaus
View Profile

Message To: Detra25   In reference to Message Id: 2032864

I also think I have a boy and girl, I am lucky, because the harvester ants are in my back yard, and my neighbors and her neighbors etc. But I am wondering how I will get the ants in the winter here in AZ. Just need to know if I will have to buy them come Oct. or earlier?

07/08/09  10:23pm

Back to Horned Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area