Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Horned Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Horned Lizards Forum

Death_metal   Iiiimemphisiiii   Death_metal   Cable_Hogue   Death_metal   Cable_Hogue   Doug2   ZelasMetalium  
 Member  Message

Death_metal
View Profile

Horned lizard questions

hey, i have to many pets as it is (uromastyx dispar maliensis, uromastyx geryi, chinese water dragon and a whites tree frog) so im not currently looking to buy a horned liz, i just think they are really cool, a few months ago i saw some in a local pet store and they looks allmost pencil eraser pink, or like bubblegum pink, but kind of light brown/beige at the same time, they were all one colour tho not any real patterning to speak of, what kind were they??? my other question is do horned lizards need harvester ants, or will any other kind of ants suffice?? i like in canada and we dont have harvester ants here, although were i live we do have fire ants now, theve made there way up here. those are my only real questions. thanks

03/29/08  01:53pm

Iiiimemphisiiii
View Profile

Message To: Death_metal   In reference to Message Id: 1680591

Horned lizard questions

No! Feed them crickets, the ants will just die and you dont want to feed a "captive" animal wild food! They will eat pin head to small size crickets...and a lot of them! I breed them and each one eats about 500 or so a week, roughly 100 per day.

04/01/08  01:59pm

Death_metal
View Profile

Message To: Iiiimemphisiiii   In reference to Message Id: 1685020

Horned lizard questions

umm i didnt insinuate that i would feed wild ants, it was a question about harvester ants, if any other type of ant would suffice if i could not order harvesters, feeding wild food is stupid

04/02/08  11:01pm

Cable_Hogue
View Profile

Message To: Death_metal   In reference to Message Id: 1687236

Horned lizard questions

If you have the right kind of harvester ants there is no reason not to feed them to a captive animal, as long as they are not sprayed or otherwise poisened. Crickets can be ok too, but there is no long term study that shows they are a good diet for horned lizards.
The best diet is a natural diet.

04/08/08  11:30pm

Death_metal
View Profile

Message To: Cable_Hogue   In reference to Message Id: 1695531

Horned lizard questions

again that doesnt answer my question
i live in canada there are no harvester ants where i live, if i cant order them will another type of ant work.
dont write a post if you cant answer the questions

04/10/08  12:50am

Cable_Hogue
View Profile

Message To: Death_metal   In reference to Message Id: 1697140

Horned lizard questions

Some other kinds of ants will work.

04/10/08  01:57am

Doug2
View Profile

Message To: Cable_Hogue   In reference to Message Id: 1697181

Horned lizard questions

Crickets have to much chitin for horned lizards and will kill them over time.

08/07/08  10:34am

ZelasMetalium
View Profile

Message To: Death_metal   In reference to Message Id: 1680591

Horned lizard questions

Howdy! I get harvester ants from http://www.infowest.com/life/hornfood.htm
My hornies diet is 80% ants, 15% crickets, 5% roaches and meal worms for treats.
You can keep your ants in the fridge, they go into hybernation and last longer. Hornies NEED ants!! That’s where they get their acids. Infowest gets my ants to me in 4 days and cost less then other ant sellers.

08/18/08  04:22pm

Back to Horned Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area