Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Horned Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Horned Lizards Forum

Orc Bow Man   00Penguin   Blue eyes   Orc Bow Man   Orc Bow Man   00Penguin   Flip21   Orc Bow Man   BoaBabe448   00Penguin   Orc Bow Man   Flip21   Dragón_Dorado   Orc Bow Man   Dragón_Dorado   Bigbuck20145   Cable_Hogue   Bigbuck20145   Fireside3   MICHELANGELO   Dallas0218   Benjamin   Ajay   Benjamin   Fireside3   Brian McClintock   Reptile12   Dallas0218   Reptile12   Dallas0218  
Pages 1 2 Next
 Member  Message

Orc Bow Man
View Profile

Any one else got a short horned lizard?

I am new to taking care of thes amazing animals and wanted to know if anyone else had any pointers.

09/21/04  06:42pm

00Penguin
View Profile

Message To: Orc   In reference to Message Id: 146615

Aren’t they illegal? Where did you get it? "Two of the three species of horned lizards (horned "toads") occurring in Texas are protected from being taken, possessed, transported, exported, sold, or offered for sale. This protection is afforded under the same protected nongame (threatened) species regulations that protect the Texas tortoise.

The three species are known as the Texas horned lizard (Phrynosoma cornutum), the mountain short horned lizard (P. douglassii hernandesi), and the roundtail horned lizard (P. modestum). The roundtail horned lizard is the only naturally occurring horned lizard in Texas not protected under state regulations. Of the three, the Texas horned lizard has the greatest range in the state and is therefore much better known. All feed heavily on ants and the roundtail horned lizard utilizes this, food source almost entirely. The others consume other insects and arthropods as available, to vary their diet from ants.

Recognition of the horned lizards is not difficult and these three Texas species are rather easily differentiated from each other. The Texas horned lizard has a double row of spines on each side of the abdomen, the short-horned lizard has but a single row, and the roundtail horned lizard has none at all. These characteristics will not separate the three Texas species from those found in other states but only help distinguish between local forms. Each species reaches a different total length at full maturity. The maximum sizes are: Texas--7 1/8 inches; short-horned--5 7/8 inches; and roundtail--4 1/4 inches. There are other variations but these will serve to identify those known to come from Texas."

09/22/04  11:03pm

Blue eyes
View Profile

Message To: 00Penguin   In reference to Message Id: 147564

I would think most people have a mountain horned lizard. I would hope that no bigginner ever obtains a roundtail horned lizard. They are cute though!

09/24/04  01:06pm

Orc Bow Man
View Profile

Message To: Blue   In reference to Message Id: 148381

I live in Arizona and I have a short horned lizard. I checked and they are not illegal. My little friend is doing fine thanks. He is eating pinhead crix. They are not protected in the state of Arizona. And I am no begginner.

09/24/04  09:06pm

Orc Bow Man
View Profile

Message To: Orc   In reference to Message Id: 148588

Just wondering? Where did u get the idea that I live in Texas?

09/24/04  09:08pm

00Penguin
View Profile

Message To: Orc   In reference to Message Id: 148590

I didnt, its just often if an animal is protected in one state it could be protected in another, or illegal to own. as long as you checked that they are legal its okay tho.

09/24/04  10:16pm

Flip21
View Profile

Message To: Orc   In reference to Message Id: 148588

Orc bow man what other herps have you owned becides this horned lizard?

09/25/04  04:08pm

Orc Bow Man
View Profile

Message To: Flip21   In reference to Message Id: 149025

These are the herps I own
2 Ribbon snakes
1 White’s dumpy tree frog
2 firebelly toads
3 African dwarf frogs
2 Red eared slider turtles
1 Short horned lizard

Past
1 Alligator lizard

09/25/04  08:07pm

BoaBabe448
View Profile

Message To: Orc   In reference to Message Id: 149212

that’s kind of experienced....lol jk.....

09/25/04  08:12pm

00Penguin
View Profile

Message To: BoaBabe448   In reference to Message Id: 149220

where do you buy horned lizards? i only have seen them once in a herp store, and that store is long out of buisness.

09/25/04  08:37pm

Orc Bow Man
View Profile

Message To: 00Penguin   In reference to Message Id: 149248

I dunno if u can buy them. Everyone says that these lizards are hard to take care of but mine is easy. Easier than some of my others because he eats ants tha live right by my house. I got mine in the wild. If u want one check with the state first some states they are protected in but not my state. And why is everyone on my back because I have a horned lizard?

09/26/04  08:13pm

Flip21
View Profile

Message To: Orc   In reference to Message Id: 149720

They have to be fed ants, at least I that is what the guy at the FIRE show in orlando said a few months go. And everyone that I have ever talked to said that they are extremely hard to take care of. I am not getting on your back or anything but it is a whole world different from keeping an alligator lizard or BD or most cheloians.

09/26/04  08:30pm

Dragón_Dorado
View Profile

Message To: Flip21   In reference to Message Id: 149755

The only reason they are considered very hard is their danger to their owner, the strict ant diet, and the whole bleeding eyes thing.

-collin

10/19/04  10:08pm

Orc Bow Man
View Profile

Message To: Dragón_Dorado   In reference to Message Id: 166046

They arent hard for me. Mine is eating fine. He eats carpenter ants and basks alot. I might get some more horned lizards this weekend.

10/21/04  06:54pm

Dragón_Dorado
View Profile

Message To: Orc   In reference to Message Id: 167447

Awesome.
I would love a horned lizard, but I am nowhere near responsible enough for one.
I just reeached my reptile limit with an eastern collard lizard anyway.

-collin

10/25/04  08:33pm

Bigbuck20145
View Profile

Message To: Dragón_Dorado   In reference to Message Id: 170101

dose anyone know if horned lizard are legal in pa, and if they are where do you get them?

02/24/05  09:01am

Cable_Hogue
View Profile

Message To: Bigbuck20145   In reference to Message Id: 257192

They are most likely legal in PA. Check with Game and Fish or State Wildlife. Any horned lizard that is legally imported should be legal to own. Any horned lizard captured or imported illegally will not be legal in any state.

www.phrynosoma.com

02/25/05  06:28pm

Bigbuck20145
View Profile

Message To: Cable_Hogue   In reference to Message Id: 258541

thanks

03/04/05  04:09pm

Fireside3
View Profile

Message To: Dragón_Dorado   In reference to Message Id: 166046

The only reason they are considered very hard is their danger to their owner, the strict ant diet, and the whole bleeding eyes thing.
-collin
==============================================

the only real danger this lizard could pose to the owner is the occassional stick in the finger by the cranial horns if it’s not handled gently and it begins to thrash it’s head. but it’s hardly enough to break the skin, or one of the reasons they are considered hard to keep.

nor is it the blood squirting from the eyes. this behavior is seldom exhibited towards humans. if you have one that does this repeatedly
it’s definitely overstressed and will probably never adjust well to captivity.

even the strict ant diet is not always the sole concern. harvester ants are more vital to some species than others, but I have had success with limited ants, using mostly pinhead crickets & small meal worms. though this is not a recommended indorsement of this diet over the ants. I suspect growth rate is reduced without ants due to the greater amount of undigestible components in crickets & meal worms.

the real reasons horned lizards are considered hard to keep ( by beginners ) is the overall lack of knowledge about reptile care. i.e.
hibernation, temps, hydration, & UV light requirements, etc., as well as the diet.

some species of horned lizards may adjust to an alternate diet, especially captive born ones. but most wild captured ones, being
used to ants, and stressed from being captured & being placed in a new environment, will probably refuse anything else. in many situations they may even refuse the ants. depending on the stress level of the particular lizard, this may lead to the situation where because of the stress it refuses food till it starves to death.

as with many reptiles, it can be kept healthy in captivity...but only if you’re well read on it’s needs & habits. this is why I recommend generally only those with previous reptile experience take it on...because these people have usually demonstrated in the past an ability to be knowledgeable & responsible keepers. with reptiles, if you’re not of that caliber, you’re not very long a reptile keeper!

Mick

03/14/05  02:08pm

MICHELANGELO
View Profile

Message To: Orc   In reference to Message Id: 167447

LOOKING FOR A hORNED LIZZARD

HELLO, IM TRYING TO FIND A HORNED LIZZARD {HORNY TOAD} DO YOU KNOW HOW I COULD AQUIRE ONE?

03/17/05  02:56pm

Dallas0218
View Profile

LOOKING FOR A horned LIZARD

I know you can purchase desert horned lizards at www.desertreptiles.com. $15 for one and $40 for a trio. The minimum order however is $40 plus shipping. They also have other desert reptiles for sale.
Brian

04/20/05  10:31pm

Benjamin
View Profile

Message To: Orc Bow Man   In reference to Message Id: 146615

My lizards
2 Leopard Geckos
1 Desert Horned Lizard
2 Bearded Dragons
1 Mali Uromastyx
1 Water Dragon
1 Green Basilisk
2 Nigerian Uromastyx
1 Collared Lizard
1 Ball Python
2 Dogs
2 Cats

05/05/05  02:34pm

Ajay
View Profile

Message To: Benjamin   In reference to Message Id: 333795

I have:1 Texas Spiny Lizard,1 Green Anole,and 1 Long Tailed Lizard.Are Texas Spiny Lizards a sub-species of Horned Lizards?

05/05/05  02:55pm

Benjamin
View Profile

Message To: Ajay   In reference to Message Id: 333808

No, I do not think so. They are a type of Fence Lizard

05/05/05  03:05pm

Fireside3
View Profile

Message To: Benjamin   In reference to Message Id: 333815

no, they are most definitely not a subspecies. they are a species of swift lizard, under the same Iguanidae family, but, subfamily: Sceloporinae, genus: Sceloporus. Horned Lizards are from the subfamily: Phrynosomatinae, genus: Phrynosoma.

05/05/05  06:46pm

Brian McClintock
View Profile

Message To: Fireside3   In reference to Message Id: 333989

I am looking for some roundtail females if anyone knows where to find said animals. I actually started with two horned lizards (my only pets) and they are just fine, they eat crickets like they are going out of style.

05/05/05  11:17pm

Reptile12
View Profile

Message To: Fireside3   In reference to Message Id: 274388

i just got my desert horned lizard yesterday and am confused i was told that he eats worms i gave him sum he hasnt ate yet PLEASE HELP!

05/09/05  10:28pm

Dallas0218
View Profile

Message To: Reptile12   In reference to Message Id: 337708

Desert horned lizards eat almost exclusively ants. They need the acid in the ant to thrive. My HL will eat some crickets and wax worms, but the bulk should be harvester ants.(between 40 and 100 per day).You can either catch the ant wild or buy them online.
http://www.infowest.com/life/hornfood.htm
you also need to make sure they have UVA/UVB lighting or exposure to direct sunlight for several hours a day.

05/09/05  10:50pm

Reptile12
View Profile

Message To: Dallas0218   In reference to Message Id: 337730

i got earth worms at wal-mart he ate a little bit then he hasnt ate any more sence yesterday. today he hasnt ate anything

05/10/05  12:27am

Dallas0218
View Profile

Message To: Reptile12   In reference to Message Id: 337815

Like I stated before he needs to be fed ants. Where in Nevada do you live? Do you have any experience with other lizards? Horned lizards are not the easiest lizard to keep and should not be kept by beginners.

05/10/05  01:13am
Pages 1 2 Next

Back to Horned Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area