Hognose Snakes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Hognose Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Luckyjh89   Takahiro111   FloridaHerps01  

Member  Message

Luckyjh89
View Profile

Help.. My snake wont eat!!!

My son found a hognose snake in my back yard two weeks ago. It is really small so im unsure of how old he/she could be. I have a soft heart and didn’t want my animals to kill it so I took it in. I have tried pinkies multiple times. I have tried soaking it in tuna and chicken broth. I have even found a toad in my back yard and tried to get he/she to eat it but it refused. I would hate to see it starve and unfortunately my local petsmart is not able to help me with any advise on the situation. I have tried putting my snake in a dark room with no sound to see if that would make it more comfortable to eat but still no luck. Does anyone have any advise that could help me out?

11/02/14  03:58pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Luckyjh89   In reference to Message Id: 2310641

Its stressed that you took him from his habitat that’s why he won’t eat all I can say is put the little guy somewhere far from your pets/house and roads...he must be a hatchling or a juvenile. There’s tons of breeders online you and your son can browse through to get him a healthy snake of any kind with beautiful patterns like corn snakes,kingsnakes, or smaller pythons(ball python) or boas(sand boas).

11/02/14  05:17pm

FloridaHerps01
View Profile

Message To: Luckyjh89   In reference to Message Id: 2310641

Is it Eastern, Southern, or Western? I don’t have any experience with W.C. Western Hognose but W.C. Eastern Hognose and Southern Hognose will refuse to eat unless temperatures are high enough and they feel secure. Every time I have acclimated one to captivity successfully it has had UV light, something that isn’t needed after it is feeding regularly in captivity.

Another issue that I have been trying to find out more about is it seems there has been a bloom in parasites affecting wild toad populations in Northwest Florida that is in turn infecting snakes that eat these toads, causing the snakes to eventually die. I believe this is the result of an enlarged toad population from all the rain last year and earlier this year that have been experienced in Florida. It is something that concerns me, because out of 18 individual Heterodon platirhinos in the past 14 months, only 2 have been healthy.

When the snake is not hissing/inflating with air, does it have lots of extra folded skin, or does the skin remain nice and firm-looking? If the skin is very folded and loose, then it is underweight and dehydrated, starving, or both - likely the result of some other illness.

An unhealthy snake will usually not exhibit the natural tongue flicking behavior. Pay close attention for this behavior. If the snake has "tight skin" and the tongue is flicking, then raise the warm end of the cage to approx 90 degrees Fahrenheit, provide either natural sun (the sun through a window myth has never caused me any issues, just make sure temps do not exceed 100 Fahrenheit for Eastern or Southern Hognoses) or a 10.0 UV bulb. Put the cage in an area with no human traffic, offer live food no larger than 1.5 times the girth of the snake, and wait.
After 7 days, check to cage to see if the food is still there. If it is, remove it and let it go if the food was wild collected, and I would advise to follow by letting the snake go in a safe location as well.

11/10/14  06:00pm

Back to Hognose Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area