Hognose Snakes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Hognose Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Tongo&Vetti   BabyKhaleesi   BabyKhaleesi   Wyland2222  

Member  Message

Tongo&Vetti
View Profile

Hognose snake acting odd

A couple of days ago my hognosed snake started paling, her eyes paled over and she dulled in color. I kept an eye on her for the following days and one morning noticed her eyes weren’t clouded anymore. Checking her over she appeared to have sor of shed in places but still had a bit to go. She has been opening her mouth a lot and coming out more at night than during the day. I have been keeping her temperatures around 80-90, she is currently on eco-earth bedding and her favorite place is in her rock hide with her water bowl, I have occasionally been misting her enclosure during her shed to increase humidity and this morning tried a feed with her just incase she has shed and I’m just missing it but theres no skin visible in her enclosure. This is the first time she has gone through a shed with us and the first time shes been showing these behaviors and I’m just concerned, we have only had her for 4 months and she was 2 weeks old when we got her. If anyone has any idea what might be going on I’d appreciate it.

11/05/13  09:23pm

BabyKhaleesi
View Profile

Message To: Tongo&Vetti   In reference to Message Id: 2302127

Hognose snake acting odd

In my opinion, she is getting ready to shed. Our California King will cloud up and become very milky colored for about 2 days, then clear up completely....then in about 1-2 days, she’ll shed. It’s strange but every time she sheds you don’t see the cloudiness. I don’t know why that is but I read it on many sites about snake sheds.

As for the pre-shed prep: Get a tubberware container and cut a small hole about an inch from the bottom of it. Then go to the garden store like Home Depot and buy a small bag/block of spagnum moss. Put enough in a ziplock bag to form a good layer at the bottom of the container. Now fill the bag with water to about halfway of the moss. Smoosh it around a bit, turn the bag over, and ring out the water (like ringing out a towel) and then put the moss in the container. Pat it down really well as you don’t want little pieces getting stuck to your snake. Place the container halfway between your warm side and cool side and wait.....your snake will go in it and prep for shed. This is a great way to concentrate a higher level of humidity without altering your enclosure’s levels. A shed can take a few days so after a day of the "humid hide" being in the enclosure, when you catch her not in it, change out the moss.
***** the moss can be rinsed and dried in the sun and reused if you want to

Hope this helps!!!

11/06/13  12:06pm

BabyKhaleesi
View Profile

Message To: BabyKhaleesi   In reference to Message Id: 2302143

Hognose snake acting odd

Forgot to add but I’m sure you know: obviously put the lid back on the "humid hide" container so it traps the humidity. You’ll start to see it form on the top and sides rather quickly. When I place my humid hide in my snakes enclosures, I try to burry it a tad in the substrate and put some of the substrate on top of the lid to make it seem more secure. Just make sure you can still see into it slightly so you’ll know if she’s in it or not.

:)

11/06/13  12:50pm

Wyland2222
View Profile

Message To: BabyKhaleesi   In reference to Message Id: 2302145

Hognose snake acting odd

That is exactly how ball pythons act and look when they are going to shed.
Trish

01/28/14  01:01pm

Back to Hognose Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area