Hognose Snakes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Hognose Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Sandboaking   Chameleon_man   Sandboaking   Chameleon_man   JackAsp  

Member  Message

Sandboaking
View Profile

I just heard something crazy about feeding mice, and I wanted to varify

Hi, so I was talking to a few people about feeding, and I was told to avoid mice with fur. Is this true? I can’t imagine feeding an adult pinkies. My pair of normals are only eating pinks now anyway, but this is something I’ve never heard of or dealt with.

11/23/12  01:22pm

Chameleon_man
View Profile

Message To: Sandboaking   In reference to Message Id: 2286158

lol to me that sounds like crap but i have not into hogs. I have a buddy that has several and he feeds some of his hopper (smaller adult mice)

11/23/12  10:31pm

Sandboaking
View Profile

Message To: Chameleon_man   In reference to Message Id: 2286201

That’s what I was thinking! Lol I just can’t imagine feeding an adult hog pinks

11/24/12  01:23pm

Chameleon_man
View Profile

Message To: Sandboaking   In reference to Message Id: 2286217

well since there mutability is really high your supposed to feed 2 times a week smaller meals. you are not supposed to feed 1 big meal every week

11/25/12  09:33am

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Chameleon_man   In reference to Message Id: 2286267

I’ve heard that it’s a problem with Easterns, but not westerns. Nobody feeds their westerns anything except appropriately sized rodents. The problem, or perhaps alleged problem, I don’t really know Easterns, is that the fur can build up and cause impactions. Interesting thing about my western, though. She had a lot of hookworms when I got her, which I suspect may have done some structural damage to the intestinal tract, because she woundup with a tendency to pass blood if over-fed or sometimes even if just normally fed. She even got x-rayed once, years and years ago, and the vet saw a bunch of solid matter, not hair, blocking her up. He suggested pinkie rats because softer bones would be easier to break down, but she didn’t like them so I kept feeding her mice. You know what finally made the difference? Chopping the tails and feet off her mice. Dead mice, obviously. Ever see a snake regurgitate. I’ve only seen a few, but the whole front half of the body was always digested, and the spine, tail, and hind legs were still recognizeable. Apparently the real blocker-upper is cartilage.

Most hognoses have sturdier intestines than Bebe. I’ve never heard of anyone else having to cut tails off the mice. But my point is, maybe those "fur" blockages from adult mice that you hear about Easterns getting weren’t even from the fur. I don’t think a toad has any dense hard-to-digest structures equivalent to a mouse’s claws or tail.

And the feet and tails end up getting eaten anyway by feeder bugs. But with most westerns, it wouldn’t even be a factor.

Adult mice are actually more nutritious than pinkies. Less fat, less phosphorus, more calcium.
As far as frequency, once a week is fine for an adult, and that’s not even a huge meal. They are very prone to obesity if left to their own devices. When mine was a baby, I fed her every five days. When she was a subadult, she was more predictable if I spaced them out a bit, so I moved it to once a week.

She is over three feet long, which simply does not happen on their wild diet. The only reason I know that for sure, because we’re probably only talking like an inch at most, is that I mostly raised her in a 40 gallon tank, and hognoses are more prone to stretching out than many other snakes, so I’ve seen her with her nose touching one end, her body slightly squiggled, and her tail slightly bent against the other end. And I started her right off, theoretically at least, on fuzzies. Truth is, there was everything in the 100-pack from obvious pinkies to obvious hoppers, so I just divied them up by size into several ziplocks and fed her the smallest first, then the next smallest...

But the nutritional value of fur-aged mice is sort of a double-edged sword. Nutritional density means that a little bit of extra feeding might actually be more overload than you think it is. Do not be afraid to let them spend a few days digging around and exercising between meals. They’re supposed to be powerful, active diggers and crawlers, not just fat.

03/13/13  09:33pm

Back to Hognose Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area