Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Hognose Snakes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Hognose Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

The Lone Glider   Sandboaking   JackAsp   The Lone Glider   JackAsp   The Lone Glider   JackAsp   The Lone Glider   Gabrieldick12  

Member  Message

The Lone Glider
View Profile

Question

I have had a lot of different snakes, like BP, KS, MS,RS, CS, and have taken care of a lot of Venomous Snakes. And I’m looking to get another snake, and am thinking about a hog, but I have some questions first, I have read all the caresheets, but wanted to hear from owners. So, here it goes-
1. Can they be in a snake rack system or do they need a tank?
2. Would I need to hold one a lot?
3. What and how often do you feed yours?
4. Do they like alot of water?
5. Where is the best place to get them?
6.How big of a space do they require to get the best life possible?
I have a huge tank I made, it id wood, and has a glass front with under tank heater, it’s about, 6’by5’by4’ ft. is that okay? or smaller? or what?
Thanks.

10/11/12  06:29pm

Sandboaking
View Profile

Message To: The Lone Glider   In reference to Message Id: 2282667

Question

Hi, I’m new to the hog scene, but I think I might be able to give you a basic rundown. Hogs like small enclosures, so imo they do a lot better in a rack. The largest tub you’ll need is a 28 for adults, but start babies off in 6 quarts. They just seem to get stressed in larger spaces. They need a constant supply of water, but don’t use deli cups with holes in the lids for bowls, because for some reason they don’t understand how to get out. They’re usually a really gentle snake, and any defensive moves are actually pretty funny and harmless. So, you really don’t need to handle them regularly, but the more you do, the tamer they are. And just a suggestion, some hogs are problem feeders, so scent their mice with tuna, salmon, chicken broth or toads/anoles. You can also brain the pinks, but I’m not a personal fan. I haven’t bred yet, but I can tell you you should have a hot spot around 85-88. And, finally, I’ve heard they appreciate a lot of light, but mine are fine without, so I think it’s personal preference.

11/21/12  12:48am

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Sandboaking   In reference to Message Id: 2285977

Question

I never saw any of their famed antipathy to small cages. I kept mine in a 10 gallon briefly, raised her to adulthoofd in a 40 gallon half full of substrate, and eventually moved her into something even bigger. Not because she needed it, but simply because I was breeding collared lizards and needed the tank to upgrade some babies into. She now has, laugh all you want, a 48X24 front-opener, 18" tall. Basically the whole front of it is a door that swings downward, but it’s horizontally jointed, so usually I just open the top half to get in and out without substrate falling in my face, but if I loosen a couple of side clamps I can open the entire thing to give it a good cleaning. So.. yeah. It’s not just a big cage that I happen to keep a hognose in- it’s a big cage actually CUSTOM-BUILT for a hognose! It’s okay to laugh. In order to be offended, I’d have to stop laughing about it myself.

Realistically, COULD I keep her in the same setup if it were a foot or two shorter. Yeah, but I’ve got no real reason to. The cage below her is 4X2, the cage above her is 4X2, the stack size just is what is. Also, I like that if the thermostat on her undertank heat (OK, technically her undertank heat is my cane toad’s overhead radiant panel, but same dillio,) malfunctions, she has more room to find a cool corner. Or, if the entire room just gets way too hot, the fact that there’s a foot of empty air above the substrate to let hot air rise is a big plus. The upper back corners of the cage are also strategically vented, for that purpose. If the problem is that the room is too cold, she can just wiggle down deep and work the hot section more. She knows where it is. It doesn’t move.

I have no trouble finding her, she spends plenty of time in the open during the day, and she utilizes pretty much every space in there that one would expect a non-climber to. I don’t regret using it for her, and if somebody wanted to get a larger than tradtional cage for an established CB hoggo, I would not inherantly be against it, but...

The cage decribed by the OP would be completely wated on a hognose. Get a carpet python, or a big rat snake, or a boa that you want to actually see act like a boa.... something that likes to climb, you know? I suppose. theortetically, if you wanted a hognose to make use of all that vertical space you could fill the entire thing up with substrate... but wouldn’t you rather watch something gliding around on branches? Which... hognoses... not so much.

03/13/13  10:33pm

The Lone Glider
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2293723

Question

Lol. Thank you guys for all the information. I do not have enough room for a huge Boa because I have 2 savannah monitors, 1 green and 1 red iguana, a brac cayman iguana, and a rhino iguana, and a WTM, and a GTM, and have several macaws and looking into an ackie. Lol I absolutely LOVE the Red Tailed Boas but with all the big lizards having a big snake around I’m not sure where I’d put it? I like the fact that the Hogs are small and I can put them into my rack. i am no stranger to trouble feeders. The thing that attracted me to the hogs were
1) they are small
2)they have AMAZING color
3) they seemed to work well with my schedule
4) I could feed them mice and they wouldn’t need anything bigger then an adult mouse if that.
I am looking into getting a pair from BHB when the weather gets better.:) and NI do have a rat snake, I found it on top of some snow here and it was FREEZING, But by this summer she will be fine and be able to go outside again.:) That thing is onery.. Lol. I have never had a snake quite that her.

03/13/13  10:52pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: The Lone Glider   In reference to Message Id: 2293725

Question

It sounded like you were asking about getting a hognose for the 6X5X4.
See, here I was actually enjoying someone ELSE being Ridiculous Cage Guy, and you had to come back here and ruin it...
Feh!

03/13/13  11:11pm

The Lone Glider
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2293728

Question

Lol. I’m sorry.. That was used for an albino cricket I found! Its really cool and that was the only cage I had left. so i had to put her in that. I named her snow ball!:):):)

03/13/13  11:18pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: The Lone Glider   In reference to Message Id: 2293729

Question

You are a horrible person. Winter is a time of death for crickets, yet you mock her, not only for her skin color itself (nice job there, Dyslexic Hitler!) but also for the season that all of her loved ones died in. I am appalled. And that is why I am leaving this thread right now.

(Not because I need more beer. I mean, I do, but that’s just a side whatchamahoo. And not because I am worried about the backlash-flames from that dyslexia joke, although... just between you and me... well, you know what they say about dyslexics...)

But I am leaving because you. personally. are a horrible person who should not be allowed within 50 feet of a cricket.

03/13/13  11:42pm

The Lone Glider
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2293734

Question

For keeping a cricket as a pet i’m a horrible person? I think you need to lay off the beer its not healthy and makes people mean. If it wasn’t for me that cricket would have died! I saved it! and actually, crickets don’t die in winter.. They hibernate.. And no, I don’t what do they say about them? I’d like to know considering I am one thank you very much.....

03/14/13  01:33am

Gabrieldick12
View Profile

Message To: The Lone Glider   In reference to Message Id: 2282667

Question

experts out there is 15-20 mites on hognose snake a lot?

11/02/15  07:56am

Back to Hognose Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area