Hognose Snakes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Hognose Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Hagen   JackAsp   Hagen   JackAsp   Hagen  

Member  Message

Hagen
View Profile

My hognose won’t eat

I think I’ve read almost every snake-won’t-eat article that exists on the web by now... but nothing has helped. I adopted a two-year-old male hognose four weeks ago. That was also the last time that he ate (they dropped a live fuzzy into the container with him). I tried to feed him f/t the next scheduled feeding day, but he wasn’t having any of it. I tried again the next day but to no avail. I thought he might be stressed, so I let him chill for another week and tried again. Still no luck.

I was POSITIVE that if he got hungry enough the f/t wouldn’t matter (the pet store also told me that he had been fed on f/t for a year prior to their getting him). I tried tuna and salmon juice on the mouse, but it still didn’t work. As a last ditch effort, this recent week I threw a live fuzzy into the cage with him. I’ve been watching like a hawk for that mouse to attack, but the hognose just ignores it (he even slithered right on TOP of the thing). I know he knows it’s there because he’s stopped to smell it twice - looking straight at it a mere inch away. I’m really worried about him.

How long do you estimate before he starves? It’s been four weeks. And what should I do to get him to eat? I don’t know where to buy frogs or toads, but that would be my next move.

Thank you so much for any help.

12/18/11  09:33pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Hagen   In reference to Message Id: 2247642

My hognose won’t eat

A 2-year-old isn’t going to starve to death over the winter.There are plenty of reports of hstchlings taking 8 months to accept their first meal, and then growing up fine. I’m not saying that lack of appetite is unimportant. Ultimately, your winter goal with him should be that he either eats or brumates. But if things don’t fall perfectly into place this first time around.. you do have margin for error.

12/19/11  01:37am

Hagen
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2247661

My hognose won’t eat

Thank you, Jack. You’ve set my mind at ease. I think I’ll continue offering f/t, but if that doesn’t work I may look into brumation. If I can ask, did the hatchlings you mentioned eat nothing at all for eight months? I’m so familiar with dogs and cats, that sounds absolutely incredible to me.

12/19/11  08:14pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Hagen   In reference to Message Id: 2247773

My hognose won’t eat

Yes. Although with hatchlings they do still have a little bit of egg sac to help them, it’s not much.
For an adult to go off feed for like 3 months is not ideal, but once a year it doesn’t seem to be harmful in the long term.
Anorexia in reptiles is a symptom, not a disease. If the disease is winter, you will either find a way to counteract it or winter will end anyways.

12/21/11  01:08am

Hagen
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2247937

My hognose won’t eat

You are a fantastic reference. Haha. I don’t know why having those numbers in my head helps, but I feel assured now. I was so worried that he would die. I’m positive I can figure something out, or pinpoint his ’disease’, or find some solution. Thank you SO much for your help. :)

12/21/11  05:55pm

Back to Hognose Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area