Hognose Snakes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Hognose Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Just4Jack   JackAsp   Just4Jack   JackAsp  

Member  Message

Just4Jack
View Profile

Jack is not eating

Jack is an adult Western Hognose that has not eaten since we brought him home.
Very bright and loving little guy that loves to hang out and cuddle a lot.
He seems to be self hibernating due to the drop in weather.
Pooped once big time about a month ago. Only urate the last two times, the big boy has some pressure :)
We are new to having a hognose and want to make sure he’s okay.
But how much weight can he lose without compromising his health?
Weighed him at 109 grams and in 6 weeks he is now down to 103 grams.
I have read they shouldn’t really be losing any weight but..... maybe a little is okay?
Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thankies!

12/06/11  10:07pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Just4Jack   In reference to Message Id: 2246406

Jack is not eating

A few grams like that is within normal variation. One drink of water could put him right back at his original weight.
What is significant is the fact that he’s refusing to eat yet you continue to handle him. I admit I’ve often gotten new snakes and dove right into regularly handling them right away. In cases where the snake’s apetite is unaffected, that’s harmless. But if your guy is off his feed, then you need to play it safe on everything that you possibly can.
Abstain from playing with him. Make sure he has nice deep substrate, a very warm warm end, and to be honestthey really don’t like all that cool a cool end, either. They also don’t like a night-time temperature drop, even though I’ve heard it suggested.
Give at least 12 hours a day of good-quality light. it doesn’t have to be UV, but it should be a builb whose visual spectrum simulates natural sunlight. I’ve found that to make a very big difference with stubborn winter feeders.
Offer food once a week, during the day, preferably early. They like to come to the surface and wander around a bit right when their lights click on, and that seems to be the time that they’re most willing to eat. Despite their reputation as toad eaters, they actually seem to like their food best if it is hot and wet on the outside. Food should be offered on some kind of dish or placemat to keep them from ingesting substrate, because hognoses chew VERY messily when eating, sometimes even continuing to try to eat the dish or the cage walls after the mouse is gone. I’ve found that using a small plate that’s been warmed in the microwave helps to keep the food palatably warm.
You also might offer a humidity box: just a small plastic box with some moist sphagnum moss in it to dig into.
If nothing works, don’t panic. Odds are he’ll come around fine in the spring. But ideally, if you aren’t brumating, then you want him happy and eating, so keep distractions to a minimum until he proves that he’s settled in by eating. Right now, he doesn’t need playtime or attention. He needs to feel like his cage is a secure, comfortable home.

12/09/11  07:33pm

Just4Jack
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2246636

Jack is not eating

Thank you for the response. We will work on getting Jack’s day vs night straightened out. He is in the same room as the ball pythons which are nocturnal and are doing just fine. Apparently he needs more light and less handling, overall provide him with HIS ideal situation. Made him a nice moss box but he zooms in and out. Perhaps I should not use tap water, I will replenish using bottled water it might be the chlorine turning him off. So many helpful tips.... greatly appreciated! Many thanks again :)

12/16/11  06:50pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Just4Jack   In reference to Message Id: 2247434

Jack is not eating

I doubt tapwater matters. I only dechlorinate for amphibians. My western hognose is just as excited to drink from a new water source as a cat or dog is, regardless of chlorination .

12/19/11  01:28am

Back to Hognose Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area