Hognose Snakes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Hognose Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Ptbmaniac   JackAsp   Ptbmaniac   JackAsp   OneMode   DragonflyDM  

Member  Message

Ptbmaniac
View Profile

Cage too big?

I was just wondering if a 48" x 24" AP cage is way to big for a Male hognose? It seems too big,but AP does not have 30" cages.Right now he is in a 20 long but I have 3 T10’s on the way. My wife and I wanted all 3 snakes in the same size cages but it just seems like it might be overkill for such a small snake. I know it would take many hides for a snake that size. Opinions please.

11/19/11  07:47pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Ptbmaniac   In reference to Message Id: 2244769

Cage too big?

Multiple hides isn’t a big deal, since they’re burrowers. The main thing is to provide enough substrate to burrow well in, while still not making it so deep that you can’t find the snake when you need to. I actually had a 48X24X18 custom-made for my own western. It has a big, clear, sort of double-jointed front door on it, which allows me to only open the top half of the door if I’m working above surface-level but still allows me, with the release of a few side-clips, to pull the lower half down as well for a thorough cage-cleaning. Before that, I had her in a 48X24X12, butI got tired of her body-slamming her way toward me blasting a bunch of substrate into my face in her panic to beg for even more food than she gets every week anyway...
How good is you snake about coming up to visit? If Bebe is underground at feeding time, all I have to do is poke my fingers into the substrate a few places. Either I make contact, and she comes up tp beg, or the peripheral vibrations get her attention with the same end result. If your guy does that in his 20 gallon, odds are he’ll do it in the bigger cage, too. If not, hold off. You don’t want to have to tear up the entire system of burrows every time you want to find the snake.
If he seems like he’ll be okay, then
a. Make sure the cage has a substrate trench, and try to keep the substrate at that level. and
b. Use a door that swings downward. Sliding doors and burrowers are not a good mix. The tracks will gets jammed up with shavings.

Another possibility is to use either two 24X24s or a 48 that has a good solid divider in it, which still gives a male hognose plenty of room while still leaving you a spot for another small snake. However, I personally like giving everybody a little more floorpace than they technically "need." That way if anything goofy happens with temperatures, such as the entire room getting too hot or whatever, they still have an extra margin to to escape the error.

11/23/11  01:02am

Ptbmaniac
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2245080

Cage too big?

Legacy is usually pretty good at coming to the front of the tank when someone is standing there.He does spend a lot of time buried in the bedding.His favorite spot is under his water bowl especially after eating.We have never had a problem finding him,but a 48"x24" is much bigger than a 30"x12". I already ordered 3 AP cages with sliding doors so its a little late for swinging door. I we will try it for awhile and see how everything goes.

11/23/11  02:52am

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Ptbmaniac   In reference to Message Id: 2245087

Cage too big?

i’d say try to rig up some kind of guard barrier to keep the front clear.
Coming to the front when people are around is a handy thing, but in a front-opener it does have side-effects that aren’t relevant in a tank. Such as substrate getting pushed forward a lot.

11/24/11  12:24am

OneMode
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2245180

Cage too big?

My malagasy hognose has more room than he needs and as the other above stated about opening doors from the top instead of sliding doors, I’m in total agreement with him. The track are always gunky and when he moves fast to get away from me, substrate goes everywere. Although he isn’t an american hognose, he still behaves the same. I have multiple hides and branches everywere and he comes out quite often, but he is a huge diiger. With that, I gave him a big cage and he seems to like it. The way I see it is, "would I as a human like to live in a cubical, or a huge home?" Ill choose home, so I give my reptiles larger than needed enclosures, and deep substrate. I’m big on mimicing the real deal though. All just matters on what YOU want.

11/24/11  01:11am

DragonflyDM
View Profile

Message To: OneMode   In reference to Message Id: 2245185

Cage too big?

If the home is too large for him, it can be overwhelming and stressful. My tank is too large for my little guy hognose, so what i have done is put rocks in the cage to separate the space and make it a little more manageable for her. There is also space for her to go to the “other” cage side and explore or live there if she wants.

12/25/11  12:56pm

Back to Hognose Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area