Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Hognose Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Hognose Snakes Forum

OneMode   OneMode   Reptileloversnake2   JackAsp   JackAsp   OneMode   JackAsp   OneMode   JackAsp  
 Member  Message

OneMode
View Profile

Madagascar Trouble!

I recently received a malagasy hognose from california. The snake has just got over a bad mite infestation I believe it already had when I got it. The snake is a yearling and I have yet to get it eating on its own. The snake is big enough(around 2ft) that he should be doing fine. His weight and look is great and color is awesome. Tame and wonderful, but will only be force fed to eat. Does anyone have one of these snake or ever had a problem with feeding one as I do, please help.

10/29/11  05:09pm

OneMode
View Profile

Message To: OneMode   In reference to Message Id: 2242364

Madagascar Trouble!

Anyone???... I have tried everything from leaving him alone with thawed adult mice in a dark warm place to live baby rat pups in a dark warm place; tease feeding him; rubbermade with the thawed food; frog scenting the food; toad scenting the food; lizard scenting the food.... i cant think of how to get this little beauty to eat! anyone that is looking at my post have at least one idea, or does everyone just think im a dumba$$? please... im sick of teasing and forcing this snake..

10/31/11  12:11pm

Reptileloversnake2
View Profile

Message To: OneMode   In reference to Message Id: 2242553

Madagascar Trouble!

Hello,
I don’t know too much about hognoses, and please don’t take me for any sort of expert. You could try braining the pinkies (google braining) to get the snake to eat. Also, you could call your reptile vet and see if they have any information.
Make sure whatever you are feeding is not too big, why not try just one, tiny pinky mouse and work your way up?

11/03/11  07:51pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Reptileloversnake2   In reference to Message Id: 2242918

Madagascar Trouble!

I’ve never had an L. madagascariensis, but I’ve had an L. geayi for over three years now. Maybe some of what I’ve found will help.
1. They’re diurnal. Overnight feeding is probably pointless. Offer a day/night cycle and feed during the early afternoon.
2. They can be picky about not only species, but about stage of development. Sigmund is an inch or two over four feet and should realistically be eating adult mice, but he’s way more willing to eat multiple hoppers once a week, sometimes as many as six of them.
3. If everything isn’t perfect, they will fast for a couple months sometimes, but it doesn’t seem to harm them. The solution isn’t to force-feed. The solution is to make them more comfortable so that their reset button kicks in.
4. They (or at least geayi do) like roomy cages with a lot of hides and a lot of climbing props, but a fairly small thermal gradient. An ambient temp of about 79 and a small warm spot of 55 is plenty. By the time the room is over 80, additional heat sources are ignored. Honestly, I’ve seen less stress from the cage getting too cool than I have from it getting too warm.
5. Humid hides will be used a lot, although the snake will still come out and change hiding spots many times per day no matter what.
6. If you run a hair blower on low, you can cook a mouse until its organ juices begin to leak out and it smells like old fried chicken grease. To a Leio, that apparently smells much better than a normal mouse. I usually cook one mouse, smear it on the others, and then offer them all in the same dish.

That’s all I can think of off the top of my head. I was surprised to see anything whatsoever here about a Madagascan!

11/10/11  01:35am

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2243697

Madagascar Trouble!

Oops! I meant a small warm spot of 85, not 55! Although, like I said, if the room is over 80 mine won’t seek a higher temp anyway.

11/10/11  01:37am

OneMode
View Profile

Message To: OneMode   In reference to Message Id: 2242364

Madagascar Trouble!

Re: JackAsp
Haha, i kinda thought you might mean 85. I got it. Well just yesterday i put my hog in his new cage and his basking spot is around 85-90 tops and the ambient air runs anywhere from 75-81 throughout the cage. i havent seen him out yet and the substraight im using is a mix of eco earth and mulch, so its about 50%. I did read about those species of snakes really enjoying a moist hide, so now im actually in construction of one that i can put moss in. he has pleny of hiding places and usually when he is out, he digs under the substrate and crawls all over! its impressive to watch but if he sights me, he holds completely still. they are fascinating to watch when you can catch them in the act. i found a way to feed him and he has been eating mice on his own with no braining or cooking, but i could try you feeding tip and see if he likes that better. i tried to feed him in a seperate container covered with a towel in a warm spot of my house and ten minutes later it was gone. then just sunday, i put one in his hide with him and he took that one too! im happy now... hopefully i can keep inching him out of his hide and moving it into the open more and more to see where his comfort zone ends! thanks for your help and advice. im going to post pictures later today to show everyone how he looks!

11/10/11  11:11am

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: OneMode   In reference to Message Id: 2243715

Madagascar Trouble!

Sigmund used to eat better in a feeding container, too. I forgot to mention that one. Now that he’s in a more temperature-stable, well-elevated, front-opening cage I rarely have trouble getting him to eat in it, unless it’s night-time, he’s about to shed, it’s abnormally hot weather, or sometimes if it’s too cool and I catch him at the wrong point in his basking cycle.... in which case I can usually just reheat it while he warms himself up. Oh, that’s another thing. Despite being mostly frog eaters in the wild, they do prefer their prey quite warm.
Feeding out of the cage is a good bonding experience, too, since it encourages them to look forward to being taken out. Sig got to the point where often he wouldn’t even enter the feeding bucket; he’d just reach in and start swallowing while still wrapped around my wrist. But I like to feed all my snakes at the same time, so now that I can just give everybody some mice in their own cage it streamlines things a bit for me.

11/10/11  11:38pm

OneMode
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2243697

Madagascar Trouble!

I posted some pics on this forum if you haven’t seen my Modestus.. If you don’t mind showing your 4ft L. Geayi off, ide like to see it!... I’m looking for a female L. Modestus to see if I can’t breed them in a couple of years. Unfortunately the same store I got mine from had a female and sold it the same day. I called to see if I could pick it up and it was already taken.

11/11/11  12:07am

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: OneMode   In reference to Message Id: 2243792

Madagascar Trouble!

11/12/11  02:57am

Back to Hognose Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area