Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Hognose Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Hognose Snakes Forum

Voguestar   Repfanaticlady29   Voguestar   Repfanaticlady29   Voguestar   Travisss   Repfanaticlady29   GMM   Repfanaticlady29   GMM   Voguestar   JackAsp   Voguestar   JackAsp  
 Member  Message

Voguestar
View Profile

=)

I took this picture last nite. I love this little guy, got so much personality, even when he sleeps!

11/19/10  03:37pm

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

Message To: Voguestar   In reference to Message Id: 2188541

=)

Sand is not a good substrate for snakes. It can get in their eyes and nasal cavities and cause blindness, breathing problems and infections. It also dries out their skin/scales and causes bad sheds. Here is just one article describing the dangers/disadvantages of using sand. Link

11/25/10  12:03am

Voguestar
View Profile

Message To: Repfanaticlady29   In reference to Message Id: 2189429

=)

Umm...thanks I guess. I already knew this!
This snake is not even in sand....
If I needed sand advice my post would have had a question about it...Iam sure....Maybe before you...jump to conclusions and give out advice you should know your facts.

The snake is curled up vertically between the glass and a FOAM insert.
I simply thought it was cute and thought some others would enjoy the picture as well.

11/25/10  10:04pm

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

Message To: Voguestar   In reference to Message Id: 2189508

=)

Sorry, but even now knowing what it is it still looks like sand. I was not trying to be rude, so there’s no need to be rude to me. Regardless of whether people ask for advice or not others are going to comment on a bedding choice that could harm the animal. I could have been rude and said "Are you a complete idiot?!?! Sand will kill your snake!". I didn’t do that though, did I? I just stated that sand is bad and provided an article. Sorry for trying to help. I’ll make sure I don’t comment on anymore of your posts so I don’t offend you further. Sheesh!

11/26/10  12:43am

Voguestar
View Profile

Message To: Repfanaticlady29   In reference to Message Id: 2189522

=)

From my view point you were rude & thanks I would appreciate you not commenting on my posts.

11/26/10  07:39pm

Travisss
View Profile

Message To: Voguestar   In reference to Message Id: 2189604

=)

Good advise to us all... Leave snappypants alone
With his sandy little hoggie.
Adios

11/28/10  02:22pm

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

Message To: Travisss   In reference to Message Id: 2189771

=)

I’m sure nobody will have a problem leaving him alone after that rudeness. lol

11/28/10  03:21pm

GMM
View Profile

Message To: Repfanaticlady29   In reference to Message Id: 2189429

=)

Quote:

Repfanaticlady29
Post By: =) on 11/25/10 at 12:03AM
Sand is not a good substrate for snakes. It can get in their eyes and nasal cavities and cause blindness, breathing problems and infections. It also dries out their skin/scales and causes bad sheds. Here is just one article describing the dangers/disadvantages of using sand. [Link Here]

Actually, sand is quite suitable for hognose snakes... Its what they live on in the wild... Yes, they live on sand... They are natural burrowers which means their nasal cavity has evolved to deal with sand... The very upturned rostral scale that give them the "cute" look is used to dig in sandy soil to make burrows and to hunt for food...

Also being that the eyes of all snakes is completely covered by a clear scale, there is no chance of the getting sand in their eyes... And Hognose snakes do not have problems shedding in very dry conditions... Infact their cages should be kept very dry because even the slightest bit of over humidification can cause them URIs...

Before tell someone they are doing something wrong and you give advice, you might want to know what you are talking about...

01/22/11  04:20pm

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

Message To: GMM   In reference to Message Id: 2200312

=)

Please, since you know so much, show me care sheets from experts that say sand is a good substrate for any snake. When they live on/in sand in the wild they’re not pent up in small areas. And it’s not all sand. Also, the life expectancy of captive snakes is longer for a reason. When are people going to think about and realize that before they go shooting off their mouths thinking they know all?

01/23/11  12:19am

GMM
View Profile

Message To: Repfanaticlady29   In reference to Message Id: 2200440

=)

Quote:

Please, since you know so much, show me care sheets from experts that say sand is a good substrate for any snake.

First I want to say that anyone that reads caresheets and follows them really has no business giving advice or regurgitated information with nothing to back it up... Show me one documented case were sand got in the eye of a snake and cause blindness... It is impossible...

Show me one documented case where a HOGNOSE snake suffered a death due to being kept on sand...

Quote:

When they live on/in sand in the wild they’re not pent up in small areas. And it’s not all sand.

Really??? Thats funny because any time I have ever caught a hognose, it was in the sand flats... All sand... You mat also want to look at some actual literature on the hognose snakes environment... I am not talking about some generalized, outdated care sheet...

Quote:

Also, the life expectancy of captive snakes is longer for a reason.

Got and proof of this??? The fact is, there is no way to know for sure that this is a fact... I can easily point you in the direction of some proper literature that can debunck what you are trying to state as factual information...

Quote:

When are people going to think about and realize that before they go shooting off their mouths thinking they know all?

Well after 25 plus years of successfully keeping and breeding many species of snakes and lizards it would be a shame if I did not know a bit about their care and what is harmfull... I will say that sand is not a suitable substrate for many snakes but it is perfectly fine for other species including hognose snakes... You are the one sounding like a know it all with that caresheet based knowledge you seem to be waving around...

Question for you...
Do you keep hognose snakes??? If so, how long???

If not, you really have no ground to give advice... In fact, you should take advice and learn if that is the case...

01/23/11  08:59pm

Voguestar
View Profile

Message To: GMM   In reference to Message Id: 2200597

=)

Didnt you say you

Quote:

I’m sure nobody will have a problem leaving him alone after that rudeness. lol

Well leave MY post alone!! Repfanaticlady29 Go rant somewhere else! and grow up! KthxBy

And for you ASSuming parties Iam a FEMALE not a "him"
LoL

Quote:

First I want to say that anyone that reads caresheets and follows them really has no business giving advice or regurgitated information with nothing to back it up.

Couldnt have said it better myself

NUFF SAID!!!!

01/24/11  12:57am

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Voguestar   In reference to Message Id: 2200640

=)

Um... nice Styrofoam?

01/24/11  02:44am

Voguestar
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2200646