Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Hognose Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Hognose Snakes Forum

Critterlover86   Johnkorz   Ballpythonclan   Hognose   Ballpythonclan   Littlepretty1982   JackAsp   Repfanaticlady29   Nilemanpa  
 Member  Message

Critterlover86
View Profile

Question About Hognose Eating Insects.

Can Anyone tell me what insects that an Eastern Hognose snake will eat? Is there just certain insects they can eat or is there a wide variety? My Eastern Hognose is a wild juvenile that I had found about a week ago. Thanks!

09/13/10  08:42pm

Johnkorz
View Profile

Message To: Critterlover86   In reference to Message Id: 2175371

I have lizards, toads, frogs,and turtles, most of which I caught myself. So I’m all for catching and keeping wild animals as pets as long as you have the time and knowledge to care for them! And mostly if they will eat in captivity!
It really stresses an animal to be caught and put in a cage. Some will adapt and thrive and some will not and die. The biggest sign that they will not adapt is that they won’t eat. Granted you might have to give them about a week (or less) to see but longer is a death sentence.
Try all the types of insects you can get your hands on and if that doesn’t work, let it go or it’s going to die.
I wish you luck with the snake.

09/14/10  06:41pm

Ballpythonclan
View Profile

Message To: Johnkorz   In reference to Message Id: 2175482

Hognoses are toad and frog eaters. Maybe the occsional lizard. And to your other post it is wrong to just catch animals and just sell them. Thats when species populations go down because people get quick bucks by catching stressed animals and forcing them into captivity. Breed if you really want buy doing what you want to do is wrong.

09/15/10  09:34pm

Hognose
View Profile

In the wild, Western hognosed snakes feed on a diet of lizards, mice, amphibians, birds’ eggs, and, as youngsters, crickets and other small insects. There have even been recorded cases of Western Hognosed snakes attacking and attempting to eat Ornate Box Turtles. This is especially true of the Mexican Hognose.

Link

10/30/10  10:22am

Ballpythonclan
View Profile

Message To: Hognose   In reference to Message Id: 2184606

Incorrect as youngster they go after young frogs and toads. All hognoses are feed exclusively on amphibians for the most part. Yes they will go for the occasional rodent and lizard. Never heard of eggs though and I know for a fact they don’t eat insects.

10/31/10  12:28am

Littlepretty1982
View Profile

my hogs have always eaten mice or very young rats but they were hatched in captivity. When we were snowed in and couldn’t get to a store to get the mice they ate strips of thawed raw chicken breasts ! We did try moths and crickets and other bugs when they were babies but nothing worked but the live mice pinks, and later frozen thawed mice.

05/23/11  01:27am

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Littlepretty1982   In reference to Message Id: 2220521

I know that when they’re dissected wild hognoses insects are among the items that they’ve found. But whether those insects were actually willingly eaten by the snake or were simply part of the total package tha it wound up swallowing (inside a toad or lizard) is a whole ’nother question.

08/01/11  07:07pm

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2231359

I had a cricket bin dump in my reptile room one time and one ended up getting into my Western’s tank. While I was trying to fish it out it caught the attention of my snake. He ate it. I’ve never actually heard of them eating bugs before and when I tried to feed a wc one crickets when I was younger he decided to try to eat a soft shell turtle that was in our classroom terrarium instead.

08/03/11  02:48pm

Nilemanpa
View Profile

Message To: Repfanaticlady29   In reference to Message Id: 2231609

wild hognose eat toads in the wild... so if u can get your hands on a supply of toads u are golden.... if not try a live fuzzy mouse if it will not take let him go where u found him/her

08/21/11  08:48pm

Back to Hognose Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area