Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Hognose Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Hognose Snakes Forum

Critterlover86   JackAsp   Spineback  
 Member  Message

Critterlover86
View Profile

I Had a Few Questions About Feeding a Wild Hognose.

I had found a juvenile wild southern hognose snake the other day. I know that he eats toads, salamanders, frogs, lizards, but will he eat insects? If so, what kind of insects can I give him?

09/09/10  10:28am

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Critterlover86   In reference to Message Id: 2174582

I didn’t realize in the other thread that he wasn’t a western. Still go with pinkies, or even fuzzies if you can. You might have to scent them with a little bit of tuna water to get him interested enough.

09/11/10  10:15pm

Spineback
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2175047

Hopefully I caught you in time or either you figured out how to feed it or you released it. Wild Caught southern hognose can be really tough. The younger the snake generally the easier to keep it. Toads or tree frogs are great to feed them. At first putting them in a deli cup with the frog over night is a good way to start them off...remember to put airholes in it. Eventually you can switch them to pinkies (thawed) by using tweezers and a thawed tree frog to entice the snake into eating and then lure the snake to the pinkie and as he is about to bite the frog move it with the pinkie underneath it and the snake will eat the pinkie...I just recently learned this technique and all of my hogs are now eating pinkies

12/02/10  07:21pm

Back to Hognose Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area