Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Hognose Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Hognose Snakes Forum

Sacko   ELbee   Sacko   MGA   JackAsp   Sacko   Sacko   JackAsp   Sacko   Sacko   Sacko   JackAsp  
 Member  Message

Sacko
View Profile

Worried

my hoggy has stoped eating im abit worried bout him he has bin on and off for at least 5 months now. his ate at most 4 fuzzys in this time. im pretty sure my temps are fine. i thought it could be my tank i brought a new tank yesterday and still no look. his behavour changies when i put a fuzzy in there. he nows its there but for some reason he doesnt go for it. sometimes he will sit in frount of it stearing at it, then he’ll just leave it there. he is spending alot of time sleeping or just not movin. (under supstrate) whats also strang is the time he ate there was no hesitation and that was about 9 weeks ago. i have disinfected his tank more than once. the old tank that is. obviously his now in a new tank i gave it a clean before setting it up and puting him in there. im thinkin maybe its time for the vet.
any sugestions welcome.

01/11/10  01:14pm

ELbee
View Profile

Message To: Sacko   In reference to Message Id: 2112802

Worried

You can take him to the vet if it makes you feel better, but it is not uncommon for them to go off of food in the cooler months. If he is not losing any body weight he is probably okay. I am not an expert, just sharing my thoughts.

01/11/10  07:51pm

Sacko
View Profile

Message To: ELbee   In reference to Message Id: 2112914

Worried

yeah ive bin weighing him every month. his not losing any wieght.
cheers.

01/12/10  02:51pm

MGA
View Profile

Message To: Sacko   In reference to Message Id: 2112802

Worried

I have eight different snakes, one is a Hoggie, and half of them go off feed for the winter months right on time every year, I wouldn’t worry !
Mark

01/13/10  09:48am

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: MGA   In reference to Message Id: 2113334

Worried

God... why do all of my posts seem to be about poop tonight? Oh well. here goes:

If you want to get him checked for biological issues, finding a vet who runs parasite tests and dropping off his next stool test is the least stressful thing you can do for him. You won’t have to drag the snake in for (possibly) nothing, and it’s like half the price. When they call back with results, IF there’s anything to be concerned with, you can talk medicine.

Otherwise,you’ll know you can get a little lazy about cage-cleaning, which will allow him to perfect his tunnel-system in order to better thermoregulate. Sometimes they have to relearn things when the weather changes. Mine used to eat all year, but she just recently had her first problem-winter. She ate normally until early September, took her last meal on September 11th, and then didn’t want any food all through the rest of September, October, November, or December. Then, on January 1st, she happily started eating again. The significant dates make it kind of weird, but I do think I know what started her eating again.

Apparently winter had gotten her just lazy enough that she she didn’t really care if she was a few degrees too cool, but not lazy enough to want to full-on hibernate. So since the room was about 78, she was okay with sleeping in her cool end all the time and never being warm enough to get hungry. But once we started getting serious cold weather in late December, she said "screw this!" and started going over where it was much warmer, and got her average body temp back up where it was supposed to be. I’m not saying her problem was what yours is experiencing, but since it’s the kind of odd little snake-being-stupid thing that people don’t necessarily get warned about, I figured I’d toss it in there.

01/14/10  01:25am

Sacko
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2113540

Worried

my boys spending alot of time under sub at the cool end of his tank.
his is being very lazy reacently. the time you snake hasnt eaten for is bout the same as mine. i figured that he aint so stupid that he’ll starve himself. unless theres is a internal problem but he does seem to be uncomfortable just lazy!!

01/18/10  04:07pm

Sacko
View Profile

Message To: Sacko   In reference to Message Id: 2114902

Worried

Got my boy out today n his started his shed. i think his not eating had something to do with that and he pooded on my hand n in it was a bit of aspen, that was obviously clogging him up. but he got it out this morning even tho it was on my hand. Hopfully now his eatin will improve.

01/31/10  06:46am

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Sacko   In reference to Message Id: 2118965

Worried

They say it about all snakes, but with hognoses you’ve got to be ESPECIALLY careful about substrate ingestion. If they can swallow it, they will. Their "push down and chew" style of eating is just way more prone to that happening.
Was there any blood?

02/04/10  11:51pm

Sacko
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2120486

Worried

No there wasn’t any blood. his got a little tray he feeds from n i make sure theres no substrate on it, bout he tends to move around when his eating so it could of got stuck to the mouse.

02/05/10  07:57am

Sacko
View Profile

Message To: Sacko   In reference to Message Id: 2120576

Worried

looks to have finished his shed already but i cant find any skin??!!
eyes gone back to black, scales free again and shinny.
is there a chance it could have bin stoped for any reason?

02/05/10  01:34pm

Sacko
View Profile

Message To: Sacko   In reference to Message Id: 2120659

Worried

happy days he ate... twice.
found the skin from his shed looks like it was a perfect shed nothing missing from head to tail.

02/06/10  08:03am

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Sacko   In reference to Message Id: 2120903

Worried

Hogs can be sneaky. Often their shed is completely buried, because I guess if you’re comfortable digging around anyway there’s no easier way to pull the skin off. But they aren’t like other snakes that, if you’re waiting for a shed before feeding them, will consistantly leave it right out where you can’t possibly miss it. With hognoses you usually have to search around in there to sure.

02/07/10  02:22am

Back to Hognose Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area