Message To: Weiss   In reference to Message Id: 2106960

Spainsh moss

hello

12/31/09  08:08am

ELbee
View Profile

Message To: Weiss   In reference to Message Id: 2109482

Spainsh moss

You may find that this forum is a little dead. I am not sure about spanish moss, I would think that it would hold too much moisture. Westerns are from a very arid area and like to burrow and make tunnels. I would stick with aspen bedding. No cedar or pine though.

12/31/09  11:58am

FrogSplash
View Profile

Message To: ELbee   In reference to Message Id: 2109538

Spainsh moss

I would use sand. with a water bowl somewhere in the middle of your tank. The snakes ’messes’ are easier to clean up and you only need around 40% humidity for the snake to live and molt comfortably

01/07/10  05:37pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: FrogSplash   In reference to Message Id: 2111636

Spainsh moss

Dry sand doesn’t hold a burrow shape, though, and they shouldn’t be kept damp. In the wild they can handle a little more moisture in the soil, because the sand is much deeper outside, so there’s room for way more drainage to minimize bacterial issues.

Hoggies love their tunnel networks. They’ll spend half the day long making sure everything under there is perfect, and the other half sitting on top wondering why you aren’t rewarding them with a mouse after they did such a good job tunnel-building. Most people use aspen. I dislike the splinters that you sometimes find in it, so I spend a little bit more and use wood pulp (the paper-mache-type stuff... there’s a whole ton of brand-names of it out there nowadays.)

Besides being splinter-free, another advantage of wood pulp is that when I spotclean a few handfuls of it after my snake poops I can toss it right into the toilet and flush it, instead of having to either take it outside right away or making my waste basket smell like poop until it’s full enough to bring out.

Whatever you use, don’t feed the snake on it. The things we use are easier to swallow a lot of than the relatively hard ground that they’d probably be eating on in the wild, and hognoses chew at their food a lot and can and will swallow a lot of substrate accidentally. Most snakes can usually be trusted, but hogs, at least the American ones, are really slobs when they eat. Putting the mouse on top of a sour cream lid or something is usually enough, although many people put the mouse in a seperate deli cup or whatever and then bring the snake to it. (And I’ve seen mine, inside the feeding container, trying to EAT the inside of the container after she ran out of mice! If you want any proof that, yes, they ARE stupid enough to swallow things that would not be good for them.) My Madagascan is pretty smart, but my western... not so much!

Don’t be afraid to make the bedding pretty deep. Your only real limit should be how high you can make it and still have the water dish stable enough not to get tipped over. And there are even ways to cheat on that, like putting bricks under it. The snake will appreciate the depth, and they’re going to hide as much as they’re going to hide anyway, regardless of how deep down they are when they do it. After a while you’ll get pretty good at poking your fingers straight down until you feel the snake, often guessing just from what time of day it is exactly where the snake is most likely to be, and also you’ll be good at doing minimal damage to the tunnels, and then you can tickle it a little bit to make it come up to the surface. Especially if it thinks you might be about to feed it. As far as I can tell, a western hognose’s intellect pretty much begins with "Can I dig here?," and ends with "Is there food?"

01/10/10  01:10am

DragonflyDM
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2112329

Spainsh moss

My hognose loves to have one spot in the terrarium that has high humidity. SO I have a hide with moss in it that I keep wet.

12/26/11  10:50pm

Back to Hognose Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area