Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Hognose Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Hognose Snakes Forum

ELbee   ELbee   GMM   ELbee   JackAsp  
 Member  Message

ELbee
View Profile

What to feed neonate hognose

I am considering getting a young hognose snake. I was told that she was 4 months old, but she is very tiny and I was worried about her eating pinkies. Her head is so tiny that I am afraid even a small pinkie would be too large. I was told she was eating f/t pinkies ("blood pinkies", though I am not sure what that is) with a dab of tuna fish scent. What do those of you who breed hogs feed your neonates? Thank you in advance for any input. God bless and Merry Christmas.

Laura

12/20/09  02:48am

ELbee
View Profile

Message To: ELbee   In reference to Message Id: 2106476

Perhaps he meant 4 weeks old? She just almost looks small enough to be a hatchling. I’m just worried about feeding her appropriate sized meals.

12/20/09  03:08am

GMM
View Profile

Message To: ELbee   In reference to Message Id: 2106481

Laura, they can take small pinkies without a problem right out of the egg. Most do not even need to be scent fed. Who is the breeder you plan on buying from?

12/20/09  07:44pm

ELbee
View Profile

Message To: GMM   In reference to Message Id: 2106643

He is a local breeder out of Denton, TX. I happened to stop in a local pet shop and saw him bringing her in to sell to the store. I made the mistake of holding her...and we bonded ;). We brought her home yesterday and I am going to leave her alone for a week and try feeding her next week. I posted a pic of her on another thread. Thank you for the reply.

12/23/09  02:10pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: ELbee   In reference to Message Id: 2107546

I understand your concern, because they really DON’T look like thye can handle them, but not only is a young snake’s thrat even more elastic than an older snakes, but pinkies have soft skulls that can squish a litle bit if they have to. Also, hognoses chew on their a prey a lot, which helps get things into a nice swalowable shape. You’ll still want tiny, young pinkies, but the good news is: so will your snake.

12/25/09  11:35pm

Back to Hognose Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area