Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Hognose Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Hognose Snakes Forum

Corn snake   JackAsp   Corn snake   JackAsp   Corn snake   JackAsp   Corn snake   Repfanatic   Corn snake   Repfanatic  
 Member  Message

Corn snake
View Profile

Few questions.

Hey..I’m most likly going to be getting a hognose very soon from somone...I do know quite a bit about reptiles...Befor i had to move to an apartment i had a 10 ft burm 4 1/2 ft red tail 2 ft ball 2 ft corn and 4 anole lizards..Now I’m back into a house I have a 6ft male red tail boa...Well thought would be best to ask the forums...What is the best idea tank size for a full grown hognose....I heard you can use 10 gallons but 20 gallon is idea...I have a 10 gallon atm with a brand new heat pad lamp water bowl hides etc everything.....I can upgrade to a 20 if i need to or have to....What is there temperment and do you enjoy them?

10/28/09  12:31pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Corn snake   In reference to Message Id: 2089327

Few questions.

Assuming you’re talking about westerns: Ten for a small male, fifteen for a normal male, twenty for a normal female. They stretch and sprawl quite often comparef to other snakes, perhaps because their bodies are less flexible. I have female who didn’t read the (outdated) books about only being two feet long, so she’s the same length as the half-full-f-substrate 40 breeder that I keep her in, and I can’t imagine her being happy in a 20, but she’s a lot of girl. Most westerns will be smaller.
Their temperament is hugely variable, but they won’t bite you unless you get sloppy feeding them. They’re diurnal, which is a plus, since they come out when the viwing light is good. They burrow a lot, which isn’t as bad as it sounds, because with practice you’ll learn to poke your fingers down and tickle-signal them to come up to the surface without having to mes up their whole burrow system. They’re terrible climbers, which is a con, because they can’t hang onto you as well as a corn or something, so when you handle a hognose, you have to focus on HANDLING that hognose. They aren’t going to just ride around and keep themselves happily wrapped while you multitask, especially large females like Bebe. But they’re an interesting little snake.
I also have a Madagascan Speckled. Everybody calls Leioheterodons "hognoses" even though they don’t resemble them in the slightest, except when they hood, which you really aren’t going to see your pet doing. Fast, semi-arboreal constrictors, more like rear-fanged, sometimes finicky-eating rat snakes than hognoses. Sigmund is WAY easier to walk around with than Bebe. But you can’t let your guard down with him either, not because he’ll fall off but because he’s got that kind of crazy ribbon-snake kind of speed to him. If you aren’t giving him another hand to climb onto, he’ll find something else to explore.

10/29/09  12:00am

Corn snake
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2089567

Few questions.

Yea..I’m actually getting him today! Cant wait....Its a guy that goes out of town for work and cant care for him..Selling him to me for 60$ with sterlite container and heat pad etc all comes with him..he looks healty and said he is healty..So will see...Will check him out first...But Will post pics

10/29/09  12:01pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Corn snake   In reference to Message Id: 2089688

Few questions.

I can’t see a male western ever needing more than a 20 gal, max, especially if he can dig around in there.

10/29/09  03:25pm

Corn snake
View Profile

Message To: Corn snake   In reference to Message Id: 2089327

Few questions.

Hey, I got a question..I know i just got him but i held him for a lil bit and he was doing fine slithering all around etc on the bed/hands and all..he was doing fine then i just stroke his side really gently lik not hard at all and then he starts puccing out his neck by his head and hissing big time..he wasnt looking at me or anything just started hissing lol why is that?

10/29/09  10:05pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Corn snake   In reference to Message Id: 2089867

Few questions.

They’re like that. Most snakes either trust you or don’t. A hognose (at least the westerns) can flip out over seemingly nothing, and then go right back to begging for mice a few seconds afterwards.
It could be he didn’t know that it was you touching his side, so he was trying to scare off the invisible monster.

10/30/09  12:00am

Corn snake
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2089908

Few questions.

lol i wasnt scared...They dont bite i know that...Just curious why he would randomly hiss.

10/30/09  06:22am

Repfanatic
View Profile

Message To: Corn snake   In reference to Message Id: 2089956

Few questions.

Not true that they don’t bite. They just bluff strike more than anything. I had a 6 month stint with my male where all he did was strike open mouthed at me. None of my snakes enjoy being stroked. Some will tense up, others will try to slither out of my hands, and still some will strike. They usually only tolerate being held. Save the petting for the dogs and cats.

11/04/09  01:25am

Corn snake
View Profile

Message To: Repfanatic   In reference to Message Id: 2091776

Few questions.

lol..Well all the "larger" snakes I have had/have dont mind it..maybe cause there larger..wasnt really a pet..Just hognoses fill so much kooler then a red tail boa..there skin just has a kool fell to it lol

11/04/09  10:28pm

Repfanatic
View Profile

Message To: Corn snake   In reference to Message Id: 2092126

Few questions.

Yep. Keeled scales are cool.

11/04/09  11:44pm

Back to Hognose Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area