Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Hognose Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Hognose Snakes Forum

Hognose   Firebellied man   Gregg @ Squamata   JackAsp   Firebellied man   Repfanatic   Snakebuz  
 Member  Message

Hognose
View Profile

A baby

i just caught a baby hognose and if anyone has some experience about them i would like some info.

10/09/09  09:44pm

Firebellied man
View Profile

Message To: Hognose   In reference to Message Id: 2082335

A baby

Hognose snakes mostly hang out in sandy forests were they can eat toads(there favorite food), so your substrate can be sand,rocks, or mulch.
Like I just said, toads are there favorite food, so maybe toads can be a special treat, but you should feed them crickets, super worms, and pinkies(mice).
you should have a heat lamp, hides, and fake plants that will ad comfort to your snake.Oh, you should use a 10-20 gallon tank.Good luck!

10/10/09  08:07am

Gregg @ Squamata
View Profile

A baby

You should think about letting it go and getting a well established captive bred one... If you do not know the basic husbandry of hognose snakes, you may have a lot of trouble getting a wild caught started and keeping it alive...
JMO...

10/10/09  12:42pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Gregg @ Squamata   In reference to Message Id: 2082477

A baby

He’s right. If you keep him, you’ll have at least three things working against him here.

1. It’s a wild animal, as opposed to most of ours which were hatched in captiviy and consider captivity to be normal.

2. You’re scrambling around trying to get the habitat and everything right AFTER getting the snake, which means a lot of changing and rearranging, which means his cage doesn’t feel like his new home; it just feels like a chain of weird places that the giant jailor keeps messing with.

3. It’s a small hatchling. A slightly bigger one might be less delicate.

If on top of that you’re low on money for mice, supplies, emergency medication, or whatever, then it’s even worse. I’m assuming that neither his health nor the weather has changed much since you found him, so my advice is the same. Take some pictures and send him back on his way. Hell, take some pictures OF sending him back on his way. See how long you can actually watch him before he digs under a rock or bush. No reason you can’t have a little fun doing it...

10/13/09  01:56am

Firebellied man
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2083340

A baby

No really, I have at least 3 garters that were all caught from the wild and they are still in great condition.

10/13/09  05:28pm

Repfanatic
View Profile

Message To: Firebellied man   In reference to Message Id: 2082413

A baby

Quote:

but you should feed them crickets, super worms, and pinkies(mice).

Pinkies are the only proper food item you listed. Don’t give advice if you’re just pulling it out your a$$.

10/16/09  06:13pm

Snakebuz
View Profile

A baby

hognose, I see from your profile that you are in Arizona, so you have a western hognose, not an eastern. Start trying to feed him wet f/t pinks after withholding water for a couple of days, then try brained pinks, then live pinks, then if you must, try scented pinks, f/t first, then live. A c/b hog is a good idea if you cannot get this one to eat. Don’t wait too late to turn him loose though, if he hasn’t eaten, turning him out after it gets cold will kill him, in that case, better to keep trying to feed him.

11/12/09  03:24pm

Back to Hognose Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area