Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Hognose Snakes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Hognose Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Crystel   JackAsp   Reflectingabyss   Reflectingabyss   JackAsp   Crystel   JackAsp   Sacko   Crystel   Sacko   Reflectingabyss   Crystel   DragonflyDM   DragonflyDM  

Member  Message

Crystel
View Profile

Pictures of your enclosure

Hey, I just wanted to see if anyone could post pictures of their enclosure. I have a pretty good idea of that I’m going to do, but I’d like to see what kind of setups people have for their hognoses, just in case I see a good idea ;)

I’ll post mine once I get it together and everything. Thanks in advance :)

08/10/09  08:27am

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Crystel   In reference to Message Id: 2054145

Hers is the simplest cage I have, actually. 40 gallon breeder, water dish, a couple of bricks under the dish so it can’t completely tip but she can still dig through under it, about 8" of bedding, an undertank heater, a shoplight, a lamp timer, a plastic bin of moist spahgnum, and two plastic plants dollar store plants, which I can easily pull out when feeding, handling, or taking overhead photos and then stick right back in. Also, there’s some cardboard taped to the back because the tank is near an outer wall so I worry about winter drafts.

08/17/09  10:47pm

Reflectingabyss
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2059244

thanks again jack! you’re the best!

here’s a question for you, when I went to get my 10 gallon starter tank, the pet store helper recommended I use an overhead heat lamp because the cage has an open grate on top. should I get an undertank heater as well? it’s summer time in orlando and even with the ac, our house really isnt getting that cold, so i’m not sure. the heat bulb itself is one of the little blue ones, I think its 75 watt, not sure. I’m in daytona now getting excited about saturday. the 10 gallon is set up with some basics, aspen instead of healthy pet because I couldnt find any before I left, a water bowl, temp gauge, hide and the heat lamp. I’ll probably pick up more sat and sunday but I can tell already I’m not fitting as much in that 10 gallon as i could in the 30.

i saw a couple adults when I went to pick up the cage, its kind of tempting to get a female now, haha. I guess we’ll see what happens. I have a feeling the snake will pick me

08/20/09  03:53pm

Reflectingabyss
View Profile

Message To: Reflectingabyss   In reference to Message Id: 2060975

oh, as a side note- this is Crystel. I guess my laptop still has me signed in with my old account

08/20/09  03:55pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Reflectingabyss   In reference to Message Id: 2060977

I think you could use a heat light if you wanted to, either way it’s about tahe substrate at one end being warmer nd them digging to the warm end to "bask." In the wild they like to dig underneath big flat rocks that absorb solar heat. If Bebe wants to sit out in the light, she just does it on top of whatever temperature substrate she wants. The photoperiod affects hr behavor strongly, as does the clarity of the light spectrum itself, but the brief time I experimented with a spotlgiht she didnt really seem to care about it.

When Bebe as litle, she was prone to regurgitate if the tank temperature dropped at night. The easiest way to keep them from misjudging what area to nap in at after a meal is to prevent temperature variations, and a heat lamp clicking off at night just complicates the equation. Might make them think the warm end is too warm to sleep in.

I know it sounds counter-intuitive. Like, how do they even survive in the wild? But to be honest, I’m not even sure most of our captive-bred hoggies COULD. They were bred to be colorful and to thrive in captivity, not to be exactly the smartest monkeys in the barrel, you know?

08/22/09  02:24pm

Crystel
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2061947

Hah, well, I guess I’ll find out how my snake handles it and adjust :) It’s good to hear about all of that.

So here’s what I’ve been waiting for! My first hognose! Hoagie the hognose! :)
I picked up the reddest looking normal western I saw at the show, one from CF snakes. Here’s what I’ve got now with the basic starter setup in his little 10 gallon. I’ve still got to make a hidebox and get some decor or something, a second temperature gauge, but I figure this is good for right now. He’s been burrowing all over the place and very well behaved, no hissing or anything, but he’s really active. I’m trying my hardest to forget he’s there and let him chill out and get used to this place.

(sorry about my bad pictures- it’s a camera phone : )

08/22/09  09:47pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Crystel   In reference to Message Id: 2062110

When was he hatched?

08/23/09  09:48am

Sacko
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2062262

08/27/09  05:49am

Crystel
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2062262

I’m not sure exactly, I wrote an e-mail to the breeder but if he doesn’t respond for a while longer I might just call.

Hoagie is a great snake though, super nice and super active. He’s really into digging tunnels in the aspen. I actually started to worry that maybe I made it too deep because I never saw him out of it, but yesterday morning when I woke up he was sitting there waiting for the heat lamp to turn on, haha.
I fed him for the first time yesterday :) a f/t pinky that he decided to eat sideways and make it blow up everywhere. I was pretty amused, I’ve always seen snakes strike to eat and it’s pretty vicious looking, Hoagie just kind of opened his mouth and chewed it down :P

Sacko, your picture isn’t showing for me, but I clicked your profile and could see it from there. I’ve been thinking about a stick but I wasn’t sure if it’d just end up being decor, does your snake ever climb around it or anything?

08/28/09  12:31pm

Sacko
View Profile

Message To: Crystel   In reference to Message Id: 2064634

No crystal he very rearly usies it. dont,think his much of a climber!

08/30/09  10:05am

Reflectingabyss
View Profile

Message To: Sacko   In reference to Message Id: 2065403

I might get mine one. He loves it being under his aspen but when I found him on top of his fake plant like this it was just too cute

08/30/09  06:00pm

Crystel
View Profile

Message To: Reflectingabyss   In reference to Message Id: 2065529

I got a humid hide today :)
Went ahead with one of the fancy ones (even though it’s not necessary :P )

09/01/09  06:41pm

DragonflyDM
View Profile

Message To: Crystel   In reference to Message Id: 2066426

12/26/11  10:53pm

DragonflyDM
View Profile

Message To: Crystel   In reference to Message Id: 2066426

This is a evolution reptile cate (EVO 20x18x10). It was a great deal. I have soil substrate with plenty of hiding places. I have used a bit of roof slate to put my heating pad on…all the heat heats the cage and the slate instead of letting most of the heat being lost out in the rest of the cage. I can keep it hidden behind a bit of cork bark, which gives a small area that is nearly 90 degrees, a side of the cage that is in the high 80s and the cool side in the upper 70s. The soil is nice a cool…lots of places for moist hiding and dry hiding.

12/26/11  11:14pm

Back to Hognose Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area