Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Hognose Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Hognose Snakes Forum

123_carpet python   Adam_S   JackAsp   TiffRockz   Hognose   Gregg @ Squamata   Tenexe  
 Member  Message

123_carpet python
View Profile

Hognose venom

hi im 13 and have a coastal carpet python and a corn snake so im not new to snake but im thinking about purchasing a hognose i heard people can pretty bad reactions towards th bites and apparently if you have things like asthma and hayfever your more likely to be allergic
does any of you have any experiance of bites
are this a aggresive species
thanks

03/07/09  03:31pm

Adam_S
View Profile

Message To: 123_carpet python   In reference to Message Id: 1964621

Hognose venom

Hi 123_carpet python. We have similar snake interests. To answer your question: hognose snakes can be extremely defensive and the way they defend themselves is by (1) hiding and/or retreating (2) actually hissing but pretending to bite (3) and pretending to be dead. Actually biting is not one of their defenses, so you won’t be bitten in defense and they aren’t ’agressive’. The only time you would be bitten is if the snake mistook you for a prey item, because you smelled or acted like a prey item. So preventing bites is easy, most people couldn’t get a hognose snake to bite them if they tried. People tell different stories about the venom. The usual concensus is that it’s harmless to humans.

Best of luck,
Adam

03/08/09  08:01pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Adam_S   In reference to Message Id: 1965180

Hognose venom

EWvery case of envenomation I’ve heard of had two thigs in common.
1. It was a feeding accident. Defensive "strikes" are actually just nosebutts. he ideais to make the coyote or badger think they can bite a lot harder than they actually can. If they actually DID bite it, it would realize it could kill them.

2, The person deliberately allowed them to chew for a while to see what would happen.

So if you’re worried, just use feeding tongs and you won’t get bitten. But even if somehow some freak chain of events DOES happen to make you get bitten while feeding, don’t stand there are let it chew on you. Pick it up, go into the bathroom, and blast some cool water on it. You won’t have to do that though if you use tongs.

I don’t even use tongs for mine any more because if something’s moving, she won’t go for it anyway. She was raised on f/t mice, and if you try to move or jiggle one she just gets terrified and hisses at it until she’s sure it’s dead again.

03/09/09  08:04am

TiffRockz
View Profile

Hognose venom

Only rarely will a reaction ever occur. And if you do get a reaction, it depends how allergic you are to the saliva to get a really bad reaction. This species is also not aggressive, and it a fairly nice species of snake.

07/31/09  02:43am

Hognose
View Profile

Hognose venom

i just found one. my little sister threw a cup on it and it flattened itself and hissed but it didn’t ever bight me. it is about 8 in long. (it didn’t get hurt though)

10/09/09  09:59pm

Gregg @ Squamata
View Profile

Message To: Hognose   In reference to Message Id: 2082339

Hognose venom

Just to let you all know... You can not be allergic to something your body has never been introduced to... So in other words, a fist time bite from anything venomous will not cause an allergic reaction... It does not matter if you have other allergies or asthma...

10/10/09  12:59pm

Tenexe
View Profile

Message To: Gregg @ Squamata   In reference to Message Id: 2082484

Hognose venom

Wow, I’m an ER nurse and I can tell you without any question that you are completely incorrect about this. I’m not sure where you got this information but it is misleading and incorrect. Sorry

10/01/10  10:03am

Back to Hognose Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area