Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Hognose Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Hognose Snakes Forum

Hatchet_man_90221   Venom7799   Hatchet_man_90221   Nerodia1   Snakehunter64  
 Member  Message

Hatchet_man_90221
View Profile

My eastern hognose died

My eastern hognose died today she was fine last night she eat and everything i had her 3 years not being mean or anything but i cut her open because i thought she had eggs and i thought i could save them but when i cut her open she didnt have not one egg in her i think it was from the frogs i had been feedind her well shes gone and theres nothing i can do about it in memory of ziggy

07/13/08  09:21pm

Venom7799
View Profile

Message To: Hatchet_man_90221   In reference to Message Id: 1794147

My eastern hognose died

what type of frogs did you feed her? some frogs are known to have toxins in their skin and can be deadly to even the animals that eat frogs such your little hoggy, sorry to hear that your little friend past on, may ziggy rest in peace she had a good life with you im sure of it.

07/14/08  06:19pm

Hatchet_man_90221
View Profile

Message To: Venom7799   In reference to Message Id: 1795270

My eastern hognose died

The only type of frogs i fed her were toads and i fed her toads for the 2 years i had her

07/14/08  07:12pm

Nerodia1
View Profile

Message To: Hatchet_man_90221   In reference to Message Id: 1795347

My eastern hognose died

when sylivia touches a toads skin it secretes toxins but since you have been feedin her them for 2 years i dont know what happened

information above courtesy of national geographic

07/15/08  10:32am

Snakehunter64
View Profile

Message To: Hatchet_man_90221   In reference to Message Id: 1794147

My eastern hognose died

i know this is probably a little late for a reply as this was first posted last year, but if you’re still on this site, i thought i would share what i know as a possible reason the snake died. i’ve had some experience with Easterns and i do know they can be problematic if they are wild-caught. the reason being, most of the time(and this can be true for any wild-caught snake, actually) wild snakes carry internal parasites. i’ve kept a couple wild Easterns and i lost both of them. i didn’t have the money for a trip to the vet, but i’m almost certain it was parasite-related. just like you, i fed them toads(and occasionally frogs). they seemed healthy for a good while, then went off feed and got very sluggish and skinny, then died. they could have already had a parasite when i got them, and it just didn’t manifest itself til much later. the best advice i can give you(if you plan to get another one, try to find one that’s captive born/bred, or one from a reputable pet store or, better yet, an expo(reptile show). ask lots of questions: when they ate last, what they’re eating, etc. if you do get another wild one, try to take it to the vet as soon as possible for a fecal check and antibiotic, or something to clean them of any parasites externally and internally. depending on where you live and where you go, it could be a little expensive, but at least you’ll have the peace of mind that you did something for the health and protection of your pet. :) i totally understand the sadness you felt from losing your snake, as i’ve lost many the last few years, and as i’m unemployed, haven’t had the money to do anything about it. it’s a really helpless feeling. :( one of the Easterns i lost was in fact gravid when i got her. she laid 34 eggs!! that’s a lot for Easterns! i hatched 25 of them. sold or gave away all but 2 which i kept for myself. i tried to get them on scented pinkies. they lived a few months, then died. :( then a while later, i lost the mother. i was devastated. :( just thought i would try to offer some help to a fellow keeper. we all need it sometimes. that’s what these forums are for. you may or may not still be interested in Hognoses by now, but if you are, i hope this will be of some help to you. if you don’t want another Eastern, i would suggest getting a Southern or better still, a Western. they’re very popular in the pet trade still. i see them all the time at shows. and, they eat mice, which is probably safer and/or better for them nutritionally. i bought a hatchling Western back in 2002. i still have him!! :) he’s doing great! and all this time, i’ve only fed him pinkies or fuzzies. i wish you the best of luck! :)

11/05/09  06:45pm

Back to Hognose Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area