Hermit-Crabs Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Hermit-Crabs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Rinkaoru   The Lone Glider   Rinkaoru   Chrissie12   Chrissie12   Maddy2646a  

Member  Message

Rinkaoru
View Profile

I did something terrible :(

so, I have this large hermit crab named Iggy. and I noticed this morning there was a grey lifeless body hanging part way out of his shell, I thought he was dead. so I picked up his shell and scooped the body out (it fell right out) but something diddn’t seem right. the body just like crumbled and fell apart. and it really freaked me out. and then I looked inside his shell and I saw little red legs tucked inside and they were moving. he was molting. I read you are never supposed to disturb a molting crab. I buried him completely in the sand. but I think it’s too late. I think I killed him :( and I feel so bad for being so dumb. is there anything I can do?

04/17/13  07:37am

The Lone Glider
View Profile

Message To: Rinkaoru   In reference to Message Id: 2295787

Just leave it alone. There is a chance it could still survive.. Just don’t mess with it for the recommended time period and see what happens. There is always a chance it could be alive. and don’t beat yourself up about it. Everyone makes mistakes. Just learn from it to prevent it from happening again. keep your head up and be positive.

04/17/13  10:51pm

Rinkaoru
View Profile

Message To: The Lone Glider   In reference to Message Id: 2295836

just thought I’d update. sadly. the next moring I found Iggy dead with another crab in his shell. my other large crab kinger I think killed him and took his shell. rest in peace iggy. :(

04/28/13  10:07am

Chrissie12
View Profile

Message To: Rinkaoru   In reference to Message Id: 2296419

its ok just next time when he burried like that leve him alone and alayays rember to have substrate 3 time youre largest crab.

07/31/13  11:38am

Chrissie12
View Profile

Message To: Chrissie12   In reference to Message Id: 2300093

and as a matar a fact my hermit crab is molt hes ben at it for 2 days now

07/31/13  11:49am

Maddy2646a
View Profile

Message To: Rinkaoru   In reference to Message Id: 2295787

Never bury a hermit crab!! I did this and soon after read if u bury them they have a 95% chance of dying!! They dig their own tunnels special to breathe. Now just leave him alone. Cause I left mine alone and the next morning he was unburied and laying just in a hole uncovered. His brother might’ve done it or himself. Make sure they have heating lamps And leave him alone!!!!!

11/15/15  11:49am

Back to Hermit-Crabs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area