Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Hermit-Crabs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Crabby329   Sandboaking   Skymall007   Chrissie12   Avafloridian  

Member  Message

Crabby329
View Profile

New hermit crab owner

Hi,

I am a new hermit crab owner. Just got one today. I have a few questions any help would be greatly appreciated.

I put reptile sand down as a substrate and read that may not be the best substrate. What do you recommend? I live near Erie, PA. and it gets pretty cold in the winter. Do I need to purchase and under the tank heater?

How do you give a crab a bath and not get pinched?

What veggies are the best to feed him?

I have an aquarium decoration that is a stump for him to climb on and some rocks for the habitat. Is this enough for him to keep from getting bored in his tank? He can hide under the stump if he wishes.

I plan to take him out and handle him. Any pointers on how not to get pinched?

Thanks for all your input. It will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you -

Crabby329

07/05/12  10:44pm

Sandboaking
View Profile

Message To: Crabby329   In reference to Message Id: 2272315

New hermit crab owner

Hi, that sounds good. Have you ever seen the wood with all the holes in it? You can buy it at pet stores and hobby shops, they love to hang out on these. Also, hcs do better in groups of at least five. I just drop them in a shoebox for bath time, they know what to do. A uth can be useful. I’ve never needed it though. As far as feeding, hcs love fruit and pretty much anything else.

08/01/12  11:56pm

Skymall007
View Profile

New hermit crab owner

Hello! Welcome to hermit crabs =)

The first thing you need to do is get your hermit a friend of the same species. They are very social creatures.

For substrate I use a 50/50 mixture of playsand and coco fiber. It’s pretty cheep. The playsand is from Home Depot or even ToysRus. It’s for kids sandboxes. I mix the two together in salt water (aquarium salt) to make the sand moist (sand castle consistency) and prevent mold. The substrate should be twice as deep as your largest crab.

For your enclosure make sure that you have at least a 10 gallon if your hermits are small to medium size.

Since it gets cold in PA purchase a above tank heater (or an under tank heater and attach it to the side of the tank). I suggest the above tank light with a red bulb (they are noctunal so you don’t want a bright light for heating. Plus a red bulb allows night viewing without bothering them).

Hermit crabs need 80% humidity and 80 degrees. They also need a fresh water bowl and a salt water bowl. Both should be dechlorinated (special drops can be purchased at the petstore) and the salt water bowl must have aquarium salt because sea salt and table salt will kill them.

Each crab should have at least 3 natural shells to chose from.

For food, feed organic only (hermit crab pellets are bad for them). My hermits love unsalted organic unbuttered popcorn, snails in a can, shrimp, green beans, coconut, organic peanut butter (no salt), and etc.

I really good resource to go to is the Hermit Crab Association. They have EVERYTHING you need to know and an entire list of safe foods and such. Here is a link

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/index.php

Please check them out. It’s a great resource. A lot of pet store information is incorrect and hermits need more care than often realized.

09/19/12  02:20am

Chrissie12
View Profile

New hermit crab owner

you should het a under the tank heater just make sure the temp is below 80 degreese.and with the substrate eco earth is better it captures the moisture and it costs less the sand

07/31/13  12:01pm

Avafloridian
View Profile

New hermit crab owner

reptile sand no no! (lowe’s) bag of playsand 50lbs . (petco or petsmart) for the coconut fiber form like a brick. Just follow instruction for the coconut fiber, wet with spring water, than mix with the playsand. (salt&pepper) The mixture should be moist with spring water. Not runny, like you make sand castles and the sand hold up. Oyster shells, egg shells and cuttle bone can be mix with the sand. The depth of the sand should cover your largest crab, about 3inches over head. Next question , heating pad, is place on the back side of the tank. There different size pads, depending size of your tank. 10gal. med size / 20gal. large, size. Don’t know the size tank you have? The lights stay on and top is glass cover to keep humidity in the tank. Next question, You don’t give a crab a bath! They do it on their own. Getting pinched means they getting stress out, shouldn’t be handle a lot. Food! all natural food that we eat, without the junk. Always service a veggie, fruit and type of protein. Go online to websites: hermitcrabpatch.com / .hermitcrabaddictionstore.com / and .naturallycrabby.com . All infor what they can eat. and a lot of other information/links. The stump is fine, but the rocks, crabs don’t get trapped. On the websites and on facebook you can get ideas what else needed in the tank.

04/13/14  12:10am

Back to Hermit-Crabs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area