Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Hermit-Crabs Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Hermit-Crabs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Ashmash   Sorpionlova   Ashmash   Sorpionlova   Sorpionlova   Ashmash   Sorpionlova   Sorpionlova   Ashmash   Lizards and more   Lizards and more   Ashmash   Sorpionlova   Krae2341  

Member  Message

Ashmash
View Profile

Pictures

Some of my hermits and their crabitat. Let’s share pictures!

08/06/11  12:49pm

Sorpionlova
View Profile

Message To: Ashmash   In reference to Message Id: 2231964

Pictures

I am new with hermit crabs and i only had these two for 2 days now. There in a 10 Gallon tank for now. i hope to go bigger eventually.

Heres the tank.

This is Aubergine the female.

And this is Shogun, the male.

Both of them.

08/07/11  08:05am

Ashmash
View Profile

Message To: Sorpionlova   In reference to Message Id: 2232039

Pictures

You should ditch the wood chips/shavings and get eith some play sand (from home depot or lowes, meant of kid sand boxes) or some eco earth coc fiber (the stuff that comes in the brick and expands with water). The wood is going to stab them when they try to dig and cause major stress and injuries. Keep the sand at ’sand-castle’ consistency and the ee moist but not dripping if you squeeze it.

Get some deeper water dishes so that your largest crab is able to submerge and get rid of the sponges. Get a digital thermometer and hydrometer. The temp needs to be inbetween 72-80 defrees F and the humidity needs to stay right at 80.

To help keep the humidity up you can spritz the cage with a water bottle a few times a day and keep a moist towel over the lid.

Best of luck!

08/09/11  10:30am

Sorpionlova
View Profile

Message To: Ashmash   In reference to Message Id: 2232273

Pictures

Should I get a deeper dish or fresh water too?

08/10/11  04:15pm

Sorpionlova
View Profile

Message To: Sorpionlova   In reference to Message Id: 2232448

Pictures

I was told to get smaller dishes bc they might "drown" and I even told them I new a deeper dish. They won’t drown will they??

08/10/11  04:31pm

Ashmash
View Profile

Message To: Sorpionlova   In reference to Message Id: 2232450

Pictures

Hermit crabs are suprisingly good climbers. You can slope gravel to the top of the dish, use fake plants or other decorations to provide a way out if you’re worried about drowning, but if the edges are rough, bumpy, sloped, or they can get their legs over the top while in the water they will be fine.

And yes, have deep dishes for fresh and salt water.

Also check out these links for safe and un-safe food lists. Safe Foods

Un-Safe Foods

Commercial foods made for hermit crabs are really horrible, if you didn’t already know. :D

How are your little guys doing?

08/11/11  12:06am

Sorpionlova
View Profile

Message To: Ashmash   In reference to Message Id: 2232487

Pictures

Ok. And they are doin good. They like to burrow a lot and crawl around inside the substrate. They chirp a lot to. But other than that, they are doing good. :)

08/11/11  10:45am

Sorpionlova
View Profile

Message To: Sorpionlova   In reference to Message Id: 2232504

Pictures

I just looked at your habitat picture again and just noticed you don’t have sand either

08/12/11  10:47am

Ashmash
View Profile

Message To: Sorpionlova   In reference to Message Id: 2232620

Pictures

I have coco fiber. I’ve had sand before but it was too messy for me. They really like the coco fiber and it’s nothing like wood chips that are harmful. My substrate is called eco earth and it comes in bricks that expand in water. It makes a great substrate if you keep it moist.

I recommended both sand and eco earth in one of my previous posts. Some people even use a 50/50 mix of the 2 and really really like it. I’ve tried sand, EE, and a mix of both and prefer the EE.

08/14/11  03:53pm

Lizards and more
View Profile

Message To: Ashmash   In reference to Message Id: 2232824

Pictures

Mine LOVE eco earth. I totally agree with ashmash. Didn’t I tell you to get eco earth before?

08/14/11  08:13pm

Lizards and more
View Profile

Message To: Lizards and more   In reference to Message Id: 2232846

Pictures

I also told you to get a dish so they can fully submerge themselves too. I use sponges in my dishes cuz its kinda hard for them to get out. by the way ashmash I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE your setup. I only have a small ten gallon. How big is your tank? and your hermit crabs look so cute lookin across at each other!

08/14/11  08:17pm

Ashmash
View Profile

Message To: Lizards and more   In reference to Message Id: 2232847

Pictures

Thank you! My cage is a 55 gal long and I have 12 crabs in there. One of them is my first ever crab I’ve had for 7 years now. My crabs are pretty active (with usually 8 out at a time) and I just love to sit and watch them.

The reason I don’t use sponges is because they house soo much bacteria. You’d have to nuke them in the microwave everyday for them to stay clean. I just use other ways for them to get out like rocks. And I always make sure the smallest guy can get out by himself. How do you keep your sponges clean?

08/15/11  12:33am

Sorpionlova
View Profile

Message To: Ashmash   In reference to Message Id: 2232862

Pictures

I ditched the sponges and am gonna try getting a whole new set up today. I have like $200 and I am probably spending it all on my crabs. I wanna get a 29 gallon tank atleast an hopefully another crab. New substrate, deeper dishes and more climbing material. I wish I could’ve done it sooner but I’m 16 and it’s a lil hard getting everything I need. But I’m hopefully getting it all today. Ill post pics as soon as I get my new set up done.

08/27/11  06:19am

Krae2341
View Profile

Message To: Ashmash   In reference to Message Id: 2231964

Pictures

that looks really coooolll

11/23/11  02:12pm

Back to Hermit-Crabs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area