Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Hermit-Crabs Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Hermit-Crabs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Sorpionlova   Lizards and more   Sorpionlova   Lizards and more   Sorpionlova   Lizards and more   Lizards and more   Sorpionlova   Lizards and more   Sorpionlova   Lizards and more   Sorpionlova   Rahjon  

Member  Message

Sorpionlova
View Profile

Need info, new at hermits

i can see this forum is pretty much completely dead. but if anyone can, i need info on hermits. im plan on getting one soon but i know nothing about them. i heard sand is bad for them so i really dont know. any help would be great.

07/10/11  12:22pm

Lizards and more
View Profile

Message To: Sorpionlova   In reference to Message Id: 2228368

You should get two or more. They are very social. You can have up to 4 large hermit crabs in a 10 gallon tank. By large I mean 1 1/2". I find that the like coco fiber better than sand. Coco fiber is Eco-Earth or that hermit soil by zoomed. I would get the block of eco earth cuz its cheap and you get a lot more than that hermit soil. Make it so that its 2 to 3" deep. get some cholla wood i wouldnt recommend the zoo med ones cuz my hermit crabs dont like it. Get two sponges. And three dishes. One for water, saltwater, and food. The water and saltwater have to be deep enough that they can fully submerge themselves. Put the two sponges in those dishes. As for heat i dont use anything although people say to use an undertank heater. Also dont be alarmed if the look like they are bullying eachother cuz they are just establishing the ranking order. They also make a sort of a chirping noise. Nobody knows why tho. They also molt so dont dig them up when they bury themselves.

07/10/11  06:01pm

Sorpionlova
View Profile

Message To: Lizards and more   In reference to Message Id: 2228444

thanks. i might get 2 or 3 once i buy a 29 gallon. a 10 gallon was always small for my pets. can you post a pic of your cage so i can get a better idea what it should look like?

07/10/11  06:06pm

Lizards and more
View Profile

Message To: Sorpionlova   In reference to Message Id: 2228445

Sorry, I can’t post pics cuz my camera doesn’t have a cord. I know what you mean about a 10 gallon always being small.lol the bigger the better. I would love to get bigger tanks for all my pets but I have limited space.

07/12/11  03:26pm

Sorpionlova
View Profile

Message To: Lizards and more   In reference to Message Id: 2228738

yea my room aint big either. i have a 55 gallon tank for my bearded drago at the moment. a 10 for my leopard. and hopefully 29 for my future hermits.

07/13/11  06:11pm

Lizards and more
View Profile

Message To: Sorpionlova   In reference to Message Id: 2228873

i have a 40 breeder on top of my dresser with my beardie a ten for my leo a 55 for my ameiva and 2 anoles a 10 for my hermit crabs a 5 for all my crickets and another 2 tens for my hamsters but one has an extension to it. i have places to put 10s but not bigger tanks which sux cuz i want a 20 for my leo but i guess i can always build a second shelf once he gets a little bigger hes about 7 inches now he wont stay still long enough for me to measure him!

07/16/11  06:21pm

Lizards and more
View Profile

Message To: Sorpionlova   In reference to Message Id: 2228873

got a lot shelves tho kinda feels claustrophobic lol but i love my pets they have more room than i do!

07/16/11  06:23pm

Sorpionlova
View Profile

Message To: Lizards and more   In reference to Message Id: 2229340

my leo is about 5 inches long. i planned on getting 29 gallon for him but he’s been having problems with his legs. (lack of calcium) so i dont know how much longer he’ll go on for =/ but i hope to have hermits on my closet shelf. i took the door out so it made some room

07/16/11  07:26pm

Lizards and more
View Profile

Message To: Sorpionlova   In reference to Message Id: 2229348

my leo is about 7 inches so he’ll need that shelf soon! sorry to hear about your leo but you sound like a really good person so im sure he will live a happy life. Did you get him as a rescue? haha i have a big entertainment center from my family and i have my hermits and my leo on that and i still have some extra space on it. hmm crested geckos next? dont have anymore outlets lol once i even blew the fuse

07/18/11  03:44pm

Sorpionlova
View Profile

Message To: Lizards and more   In reference to Message Id: 2229632

nah, i got mine from petsmart. i looked up a bunch of info from the leo forums but no one told me to use calcium dust till his legs are all messed up. but he’s eating a lil better than he was the day before i started giving him the calcium dust.

07/21/11  05:39pm

Lizards and more
View Profile

Message To: Sorpionlova   In reference to Message Id: 2230006

well thats good that hes eating better. I usually leave a dish in there and mine just licks it when he needs it.

07/21/11  08:41pm

Sorpionlova
View Profile

Message To: Lizards and more   In reference to Message Id: 2230044

i should do the same

07/22/11  01:19pm

Rahjon
View Profile

Message To: Sorpionlova   In reference to Message Id: 2228368

All you have to do is change the food every day have a water bowl and a food bowl you can use rocks instead of sand and change there food everyday. if you dont have a water bowl just water them in a little bit of water everyday

08/01/12  06:32pm

Back to Hermit-Crabs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area