Hermit-Crabs Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Hermit-Crabs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Hickchick1981   Hickchick1981   Raiin   Hickchick1981   Raiin   Kennedy2341  

Member  Message

Hickchick1981
View Profile

Is a sponge necessary?

I have two hermit crabs. One is large and the other is medium sized. I give them water in shallow little sea shell dishes. Is it really necessary to put a sponge in there?

08/18/10  06:10pm

Hickchick1981
View Profile

Message To: Hickchick1981   In reference to Message Id: 2170172

Is a sponge necessary?

Oh, and is it necessary to keep the substrate moist? I understand that it helps with humidity issues, but the humidity within my tank is within the normal range. I don’t like the idea of having moist substrate because I don’t like to worry about mold forming and I don’t want any extra bacteria hanging out in my tank (same issue that I have with the sponge).

Thanks!

08/18/10  06:14pm

Raiin
View Profile

Message To: Hickchick1981   In reference to Message Id: 2170174

Is a sponge necessary?

I dont keep a sponge in my water dish, but i have a water dish big enough for the crabs to get in all the way if they like. Hermit crabs have gills that they need to keep moist. A moist substrate is very important. What kind are you using? For me, Ive had the best results with Eco Earth, or coconut fibers. It keeps the moisture in very well but ive never has a problem with mold growing. Just be sure you dont have it too wet to where its a lake at the bottom. Remove food daily, or every other day because that can easily grow mold in such humid conditions. Fresh vegitables and fruit, and canned bug type foods need to be replaced every day or mold will grow.

Hope ive helped :) good luck!

09/18/10  05:22pm

Hickchick1981
View Profile

Message To: Raiin   In reference to Message Id: 2176103

Is a sponge necessary?

Oh my God! Someone out there finally read my post! YAY! Thank you! =)

I am using a soil substrate made for reptiles. The hermit crabs seem to love to dig in it, but they are still not coming out during the day. The humidity in the tank is at 60% and I mist like crazy twice a day. It’s a 20 gallon tank. Gosh, I’m so glad to find someone who knows what they’re talking about -- am I doing everything right?

Thank you so much for answering me, lol...I thought that nobody would ever come!

09/19/10  09:40am

Raiin
View Profile

Message To: Hickchick1981   In reference to Message Id: 2176196

Is a sponge necessary?

Does your tank have a screan lid or a glass one? Glass ones work better for keeping in humidity. But if its a screan, you might try puting some plastic wrap over it. Humidity should be atleast 70% but more isnt going to hurt anything. I like to keep mine at around 80. if misting isnt working, poor a little water into the soil it should raise the humidity in the air, and if it goes down while you arnt home, your hermies can burry themselves. Generally they are nocturnal. sometimes ill see one of them munching during the day, but they are usually not very active untill night comes.

Sounds to me like your hermies are in good hands :) keep up the good work!
And no problem! Any time :)

09/28/10  01:25pm

Kennedy2341
View Profile

Message To: Hickchick1981   In reference to Message Id: 2170172

Is a sponge necessary?

yes it is neccessary because they could dround in it because of it being so much water. that is wat i have been told

11/23/11  10:29am

Back to Hermit-Crabs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area