Hermit-Crabs Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Hermit-Crabs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Hickchick   Hickchick   Ellagee   Hickchick   Ellagee   Hickchick   Krae2341  

Member  Message

Hickchick
View Profile

Crab questions

Hi we are new to crabs (my son and i ) we have four PP’s i do belive. They are in painted shells, witch i know is bad. Ive bought them new natural shells. I have them on sand, but under the sand i figured i would put aquarium rocks and when i wet the sand down the rocks would take some of the water and hold it ..I was reading posts on here and someone said that rocks hurt the crab. How so? Right now the liittlest one is burried and i was thinking about this hurt thing. Is it because they are so soft when they molt. Is this gonna hurt the lil dude... If so, do i dig him up and take out the rocks. He only went down two days ago?

03/26/10  10:23am

Hickchick
View Profile

Message To: Hickchick   In reference to Message Id: 2136218

Crab questions

BUMP

03/28/10  10:17pm

Ellagee
View Profile

Crab questions

The first thing everybody will say is do NOT dig him up. You’re more likely to hurt him (or stress him out) doing that than any harm the rocks and cause.

Yes, it is mainly because they are so soft.

The rocks under sand idea sounds okay, but others may disagree because the crabs will dig to the bottom when molting and hence dig into the rocks... You’d have to have a lot of sand.
I had Eco-Earth which is like fancy dirt that stays very moist. It was great, the crabs really loved it. I’d suggest (especially if you still have some sand that would go to waste) filling have the tank with sand and the other half EE.
I also liked putting a deep (with a sponge or something to make sure they don’t drown) water bowl/dish that would be put flat on the bottom of the tank with sand/EE as high as the bowl... Like a pond? The top of the water is level with the ground.
And, of course, the best thing for a hermie is the climbing wall things that Petco sells. They are always the most loved thing in a crab’s enclosure.
They also love netting (like the decorative kind from Michaels washed off though) and climbing branches.

But really really really don’t touch him while he’s under, nothing could be worse. :/

Good luck,
It doesn’t sound like he is sick or anything, nothing to be worried about, just leave him alone.
-Ella

03/31/10  09:36am

Hickchick
View Profile

Message To: Ellagee   In reference to Message Id: 2137466

Crab questions

Ella,

Ty so much for getting back to me, ive been very worried. Ill leave him be. I have lots for them to climb on branches, plants, drift wood, coco hut... I have two water dishes, one salt, one regular. I mist once a day, temp is 70-73 and humidity is between 70-80...I have tryed to read all that i could before we got them. but i couldnt find anything on this... again ty

03/31/10  06:44pm

Ellagee
View Profile

Message To: Hickchick   In reference to Message Id: 2137583

Crab questions

No problem :)
I found this site extremely useful whenever I have a new animal and encounter a unique problem/question.
I normally hang around on the small animals forum but pop in here every once and a while c;

I love pictures so I’d love to see what you cage/tank looks like!

-Ella

04/16/10  09:38am

Hickchick
View Profile

Message To: Ellagee   In reference to Message Id: 2141034

Crab questions

I am sad to report that that poor little crab died.....But the other three are doing great. Two of the med. Ones actually changed shells last night. So i only have one left in a painted shell.... I will post pix soon.

04/25/10  01:56pm

Krae2341
View Profile

Crab questions

i saw something in that writting how does the painted shells hert them.

11/23/11  02:09pm

Back to Hermit-Crabs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area