Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Hermit-Crabs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Hermit-Crabs Forum

Aj_17   Mdougherty   Mdougherty   Aj_17   Ashmash  
 Member  Message

Aj_17
View Profile

Thinking of getting hermit crabs....

I have a 10 gallon tank and am not sure what type of animal to get. I want to do plenty of research first so any advice is appreciated. I dont know much about hermit crabs except that they have to molt....

01/31/10  02:20pm

Mdougherty
View Profile

Message To: Aj_17   In reference to Message Id: 2119036

I have hermit crabs. they are super easy to take care of. A 10 gallon tank would be a suitable home for about 2-4 of them. Hermit crabs need to stay in groups and will be very lonely and unhappy if they are alone. When a hermit crab gets to big for its shell it goes for a new one. So you should put some more shells in there tank for them to grow into. Also some people say that painted shells are not good for them and some people say they are fine. I dont know if painted shells are okay so i just stay away from them alltogether. They love to climb so you can find all sorts of fun little climbing things at pet store for them to climb on. they also love to dig. They need to be bathed once a week. just grab them by the shell and totally submerge them in a bowl of ROOM TEMPERATURE water for 1 minute. hermit crabs can eat lots of different types of foods. search around on the web and you will find lists of foods they can eat. Some treats i give mine that they LOVE are celery, apples, mango, banana, cornflakes and coconut shavings. If you search around on the web you will find lists of things they can eat. something they cannot eat is oranges and tomatoes and chocoalate. Also you should give them real hermit crab food too. FMR have good food although it does smell kind of gross. go to fmrpets.com for lots of info on hermit crabs!

02/01/10  01:09pm

Mdougherty
View Profile

Message To: Aj_17   In reference to Message Id: 2119036

im sorry i was not thinking about 10 gallon tank you could probably fit 5-6
in there not 2-4

02/01/10  01:23pm

Aj_17
View Profile

Message To: Mdougherty   In reference to Message Id: 2119360

Thank you this helped :)
just wondering, Do they ever pinch?

02/09/10  05:35pm

Ashmash
View Profile

Message To: Aj_17   In reference to Message Id: 2121944

Go HERE for just about all of the info you would need. These pets will not be "easy" or cheap to care for.

02/10/10  09:59pm

Back to Hermit-Crabs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area