Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Hermit-Crabs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Hermit-Crabs Forum

Shortty_357   Tojo   Shortty_357  
 Member  Message

Shortty_357
View Profile

Please Help Me!!!!

My children have only had their hermit crabs for maybe 2 months and 2 of them have died. I don’t know what to do. They were cute at the mall so we had to get them. Now I feel bad that 2 of them have died. I have 3 in a plastic tank, in the tank is the spring water dish and shells with food in them, its covered with the colored rocks ( the bag said it was for hermit crabs), shells for them to switch into. I’m thinking of getting a bigger plastic tank for more room and maybe a heating pad or something that I can place the tank on to get the temp up to 75 or 80 degrees. I can’t mentally take another crab death. I don’t have room for a 10 gallon tank. What should i DO???

11/11/09  01:53am

Tojo
View Profile

Message To: Shortty_357   In reference to Message Id: 2094276

Please Help Me!!!!

I’m sorry for your losses. Even the most seasoned crab owner loses them. Most of the time they suffer what we call PPS "Post Purchase Stress". They die within a couple days after purchase due to stress. All I can tell you is provide the largest tat possible. Maintain humidity and warmth at all times and feed them a varied diet, all natural foods, no preservatives. A deep enough substrate inwhich they can dig under. Also, hermit crabs need salt water as well as fresh water. Some species require a pool of salt water to submerge in. No table salt, needs to be sea salt. Petstore people will tell you they are low maintenance to make a sale. In my opinion, they are one of the more high maintenance to keep them happy and healthy. They are vulnerable when molting, there are many websites to teach you what to do in that occasion.

I hope this helps. Visit the many websites available about hermit crab care. Good Luck!

11/11/09  07:35pm

Shortty_357
View Profile

Message To: Tojo   In reference to Message Id: 2094497

Please Help Me!!!!

Thanks. Well, I got the 10 gallon tank and a starter kit. They seem to like it. When I put them in the tank to feel the compost and sand they started running around and trying to go under the compost. I placed a heater under the bottom of the tank on the compost side. Do I need to get a heat lamp or a hood for the tank that has the combination blue and red light to depict day and night.

11/12/09  11:38am

Back to Hermit-Crabs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area