Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Hermit-Crabs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Hermit-Crabs Forum

Leopard.Gecko   Tpau15   Leopard.Gecko   Tpau15   Leopard.Gecko  
 Member  Message

Leopard.Gecko
View Profile

Calci-Sand Question????

MMMM I have blue calci sand and well I’m getting some regular play sand (I will clean it) and I was wondering... will I need a calcium substitute if I get rid of the sand????

10/13/09  10:29am

Tpau15
View Profile

Message To: Leopard.Gecko   In reference to Message Id: 2083398

Calci-Sand Question????

You can use a cuttle bone for a calcium supplement. Although, a substrate that does better to raise the humidity level in the tank, like coconut coir bedding or organic potting soil (lightly moistened and well mixed) is better than using sand.

-tpau15

10/20/09  10:51pm

Leopard.Gecko
View Profile

Message To: Tpau15   In reference to Message Id: 2086684

Calci-Sand Question????

My hermies Love sand also I mist the tank twice a day... plus dirt looks ugly... BLUE CALI-SAND looks really awesome... like the ocean... well thanx for da info but sand is cheaper and readily availible...

10/21/09  04:36pm

Tpau15
View Profile

Message To: Leopard.Gecko   In reference to Message Id: 2087053

Calci-Sand Question????

Unless you keep the sand at sand castle consistency, it’s not doing any good to help the humidity level. Also, the "calci-sand" shouldn’t be made wet because it will become crusty and hard. Using children’s play sand is better than calci-sand.

Calci sand is not cheaper than organic potting soil, perhaps cheaper than the coconut coir though. I can buy a 10 lb bag of organic potting soil from Lowes (a generic brand) for $6. A 1 lb bag of calci-sand for hermies is around $4 or $5. Even Walmart sells a decent sized bag of organic soil for $4.

You don’t have to make the entire enclosure the dirt; even just a strip of the enclosure has the dirt helps your crabs out, especially during molting.

-tpau15

10/22/09  02:32pm

Leopard.Gecko
View Profile

Message To: Tpau15   In reference to Message Id: 2087504

Calci-Sand Question????

ooo yea cali-sand is expensive... thats why I was askin if I needed a calcium substitute because I’m getting play-sand...

10/29/09  04:53pm

Back to Hermit-Crabs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area