Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Hermit-Crabs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Hermit-Crabs Forum

Crazymaddy10   Whitestreeyoda   Leopard.Gecko   Chameleon890  
 Member  Message

Crazymaddy10
View Profile

Need help

My brother just got new hermit crabs and he had one of them resting on his hand and all of a sudden he just started pinching him really hard. we had to run him under cold water to get him to let go. Is there any perticular reason why he pinched or is he just a mean crab. is there any way to train them to be nice and not pinch?

10/11/09  01:23pm

Whitestreeyoda
View Profile

Message To: Crazymaddy10   In reference to Message Id: 2082769

Need help

New hermit crabs are often times very stressed out. I think he might have pinched because he was scared. How big are your crabs? Are they wearing painted shells? These shells are usually poor in quality and your little friends might have a shell that fits too tight. I say let your new pets calm down for a bit and settle into new shells if thats what they need. Then try to handle them. If you are worried about pinching wear thick leather gloves. You might have a crabby crab but for now its too early to tell.

10/11/09  03:36pm

Leopard.Gecko
View Profile

Message To: Whitestreeyoda   In reference to Message Id: 2082816

Need help

two of my hermies pinch but yes sometimes they are just stressed... my hermie B. just switched into a painted shell...

10/21/09  04:38pm

Chameleon890
View Profile

Message To: Crazymaddy10   In reference to Message Id: 2082769

Need help

It’s because it is just a new crab, you should let the crab get used to its surroundings for 2-4 days, then try to hold the crab but by the shell using your thumb on one side of the shell and your index finger on the other side of the shell.

12/02/09  09:19pm

Back to Hermit-Crabs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area