Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Hermit-Crabs Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Hermit-Crabs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Mata mata dude   Mata mata dude   Tojo   Wooks1   Jefwithonef005   Chrissie12   Avafloridian  

Member  Message

Mata mata dude
View Profile

Quik question?????????

How can you tell when they eat? I have three hermits Two I have had for two days and one I just got today and they are all PP hermits and have a 40 gal. flat tank with three pieces of wood three hiding spots and some fake leaves I feed them pellets and sometimes bannana, apple, romaine lettuse, squash, and carrots. But I can’t never tell if they eat or not oh and I got a water dish with a sponge in the middle.

08/12/09  11:59am

Mata mata dude
View Profile

Message To: Mata mata dude   In reference to Message Id: 2055460

Quik question?????????

Oh and how often do they change shells? I know they change when they out grow them or they the shell gets dirty.

08/12/09  01:20pm

Tojo
View Profile

Quik question?????????

If they are just a couple days old, they are probably not worried about eating at the moment. This is a vulnerable time for them. There is a phenomena call PPS, "Post Purchase Syndrom". They are likely stressed out from being shipped from their natural habitat, to the supplier, then to the pet store, then to your house. Some people force them out of their natural shells and into painted ones. Painted shell are not good for them. What happens with PPS is they simply start dropping their legs and then die. To "destress", they usually dig down into the substate and stay their for awhile. Make sure your substate is moist enough and deep enough for them to dig down.

Good Luck. Otherwise, put in a piece of apple or cantelope overnight, in the morning you might see some nibbles on it. There are a lot of people at hermitcrabassociation.com who would be willing to answer all your question.

Also, they need to dig down to molt, they eat their exo skeleton so don’t take that away from them if they surface molt. This is another period of vulnerability. If he surface molts, he must be isolated in another tank. Dig a hole for him and place him and his exo in it, then gently cover him up. Read my previous post in here about taking care of hermies.

08/12/09  02:38pm

Wooks1
View Profile

Message To: Tojo   In reference to Message Id: 2055558

Quik question?????????

What my wife did when she got her Hermit crabs was smooth out the area around the food dish ( in our case sand) and in the morning there will be little footprints around the food dish ( hopefully)or it could be PPS as well, but definitly the Hermit Crab association would help

09/10/09  09:03pm

Jefwithonef005
View Profile

Message To: Wooks1   In reference to Message Id: 2070507

Quik question?????????

I have 2 and they only eat every month or so, but they are doing great, you dont need to worry :]

12/31/10  06:12pm

Chrissie12
View Profile

Quik question?????????

its ok just dont put out too much food to them a little goes a long way

07/31/13  11:56am

Avafloridian
View Profile

Quik question?????????

Just got them from the store, they would hide for a while to distress. Pellets food are not natural, Mind won’t eat it. Fresh veggies, fruits and different type of protein. Go online, to hermitcrabpatch.com / or hermitcrabaddictionstore.com / or natuallycrabby.com and read up what they eat. They eat what we eat, without the junk food. When crabs go hide, they eat some, and store some in their shell, even the water. That sponge can’t be cleaned, bacteria, throw it out! Crabs love going in pool of water. Should have two bowls , salt water and fresh water. (at any pet store) get instant ocean, 1/2cup mix a gallon of purify water(that your salt water.) What do you mean, flat tank? read up on websites to set up tank. Need 2 bags of 50lb playsand and 2 bricks of coconut fiber,(follow instruction to moisten fiber) than mix with the sand. for your 40gal. tank. the depth of the sand should cover your largest crab over head 3inches -6inches.

04/13/14  12:35am

Back to Hermit-Crabs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area