Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Hermit-Crabs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Hermit-Crabs Forum

Cherrykins   Tojo   Tojo   Cherrykins   Tojo  
 Member  Message

Cherrykins
View Profile

Not eating?

My girlfriend’s hermit crabs have been in my care for a few weeks now...she has two that constantly had shell wars, and they finally switched out. The little one, Ramon, switched into a huge shell and he can barely walk around. Estabar, the aggressor, took the smaller shell. Ramon has not been eating, or really moving around much. He scoots around, then buries himself. I have not been able to get him to eat anything. The other two have been eating, though....how do I get Ramon back to eating?

08/07/09  12:40pm

Tojo
View Profile

Message To: Cherrykins   In reference to Message Id: 2052653

Not eating?

It may be a sign that he’s about to molt. A shell change and digging is a sign. I wouldn’t worry about the eating. Crabs can go months without eating. In most cases, crab owners feed their hermits too much which makes them molt more often than they are used to.

Hope this helps.

08/07/09  06:12pm

Tojo
View Profile

Message To: Cherrykins   In reference to Message Id: 2052653

Not eating?

Have you ever had a molter before? If it is molting, it’s best to isolate him. Dig a hole in moist sand and gently cover him. They need to eat their own exo for the additional calcium so don’t discard it. Depending on the size of the crab, it could stay down from weeks to months.

08/07/09  06:15pm

Cherrykins
View Profile

Message To: Tojo   In reference to Message Id: 2052814

Not eating?

Well, the crabs all seem to dig down into the bedding but they surface and crawl around every now and then. I gave him a little fruit today and he hugged it into his shell and is eating. Should I just keep food available and otherwise leave them?

08/09/09  01:38pm

Tojo
View Profile

Message To: Cherrykins   In reference to Message Id: 2053688

Not eating?

Foods that spoil should be taken out within 24 hours. Remember, crabs are scavengers in the wild, so they are used to eating foods not exactly fresh. They also eat bark & moss that you can leave in there for awhile. Other foods you can leave in for awhile are dried fruits.

Note: foods with a high content of carotene such as canteloupe gives them good color. I also sprinkle grated calcium product over their food such as cuttlebone.

A steady diet of carotene along with a varied diet gives them som colors.

Hope this helps.

08/09/09  05:38pm

Back to Hermit-Crabs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area