Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Hermit-Crabs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Hermit-Crabs Forum

Mistress Kyo   Mistress Kyo   Mistress Kyo   Waldorepticzone   Tojo   Waldorepticzone   Wooks1  
 Member  Message

Mistress Kyo
View Profile

New to Hermit Crab care.

So i got a 10 gallon tank for my two crabs and i also got the humidity gauge and a thermometer for them. I got everything i need but i have a few questions because i’m worried my crabbies might be getting sick or something.

My questions are is it bad if the humidity doesnt stay contant during the day? it can be anywhere between 75-90% at any point in the day. also the temperature stays between 72-74 is this okay for them?

07/31/09  03:31pm

Mistress Kyo
View Profile

Message To: Mistress Kyo   In reference to Message Id: 2048779

New to Hermit Crab care.

Also i was wondering if they can eat cucumbers. or tomatoes? thanks.

08/01/09  06:00pm

Mistress Kyo
View Profile

Message To: Mistress Kyo   In reference to Message Id: 2049232

New to Hermit Crab care.

Will no one answer my questions? I need help, please?

08/02/09  07:01pm

Waldorepticzone
View Profile

Message To: Mistress Kyo   In reference to Message Id: 2049699

New to Hermit Crab care.

Hey I wonder where everyone is they should have replied by now, I really don’t like giving advice but since no one else will I can as for humidity you look pretty good and if you could get the temp into the low 80s it should be ok. Good luck

08/02/09  10:52pm

Tojo
View Profile

Message To: Mistress Kyo   In reference to Message Id: 2049699

New to Hermit Crab care.

I can help kyo, but there is so many things. Are u giving them both salt water and fresh water?, they need both. Herms need a big tat or they won’t be happy. They need ponds deep enough to dive into. They need to climb, and explore. Yes heat and humidity is a must. The most important thing is keeping a clean tat. Maintaining something that requires heat and humidity requires constant maintenance. Petstore people selling u crabs will tell u they are low maintenance, it’s just the opposite. To keep healthy hermies requires the most maintenance. If you truly want to learn, a great room to join is hermitcrabassociation. There u will find some of the most educated crab owners anywhere.

Good luck with your herms!

08/07/09  12:04am

Waldorepticzone
View Profile

Message To: Tojo   In reference to Message Id: 2052439

New to Hermit Crab care.

Thanks tojo, I am no good with advice.

08/07/09  11:53am

Wooks1
View Profile

Message To: Waldorepticzone   In reference to Message Id: 2052624

New to Hermit Crab care.

you can keep them in smaller tanks but that do like more space plus it’s just easier with a bigger tank. 78-82 is temo range but if it get down to 75 don’t freak. and the humidity should be around i think 75 but someone correct me if wrong. if your temo and humidty arn’t perfect then don’t worry. unless they are strawberries then flip the hell out they are SUPER sensitive to changes. they need 6 inches of medium and we have it divided into 2 sections one side is all sand and the other eco earth. and as the other guy mention they love to climb. oh and you should have there shells in one area and you need a salt water and fresh water pool as mentioned deep enough to partially (not fully) submerge themselves. land hermies can’t swim well so they need to be able to climb out easy and need to be able to touch the bottom without being completly submerged. also they need baths at least once a week but the more you give them the more active they will be.

Also hermies are nocturnal so during the dya they will mostly hide or sleep. they tend to dig alot to. especially if they are too dry. they need places to hide too. to bath tme you don’t drop them in and you don’t swish them around. instead you need to flip them upside down so they are facing the ceiling and place them in the water. they usually will come out on their own. this is so they can clean out thier poop. don’t leave them in too long either or they may drown. when you take them out drain their shell of excess water. just turn them till it starts to pour out. oh and add a little stress coat to the bath water. you will find that in the fish aisle. and for each crab you should have 2 to 3 extra shells for them to look at when they go to switch.

you should also have a smal iso tank for when they molt. when they are going to do that they will look pale much like a reptile will. especially over the eyes. if they have already started to molt in the tank try to leave them alone. this process also takes time. you may not see them for days or sometimes weeks. oh the iso tank for molting is cause sometimes the crabs wil emit an odor that makes the other crabs frenzy and try to eat him.

if your crabs start to drop limbs for no reason then they are stressed or sick, or dying and you need to find the problem asap. sometimes their is nothing you can do though. there is one thing that rarly happens but new crabs will stress out and drop ALL thier limbs. there is nothing you can do but make them comfortable while they die.

08/11/09  04:05pm

Back to Hermit-Crabs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area